1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T Gigapower

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Oct 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

$154/month for U450, 4 receivers, sports package and Palladia. Crappy internet at 24 down. Uverse used to be a great product, but now it has turned into pure crap. Worst picture of all of the cable companies, slow internet, internet that can't keep a WiFi signal from 10 feet away, and forget about going through a wall. Even their customer service has gone down hill fast. That used to be a big plus for me, now I might as well go back to Comcrap.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was a big fan of Uverse while I was in Austin. Just seemed to be better service all around there. For some reason, everything here is slower and riddled with problems. I don't know how I feel about making a switch to Comcast.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Hoping to get this in about a year or so.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You're definitely right about the picture quality. It's the absolute worst HD by any major provider in the United States. This isn't an opinion, it's fact and has been discussed at large on multiple forums on the internet. I believe their HD bitrate is something terrible like 5.7mbps while Comcast is around 10-12, Directv 12-14, and Verizon Fios along with Google Fiber stream their HD channels at around 18-20 mbps.

If you have a TV under 50 inches you probably can't tell that much unless you get up close, but if it's larger than that, Uverse HD is absolutely noticeable.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Was this close to switching to Uverse before seeing these comments. Thanks guys -- back to Comcast

6. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

where did you find that bitrate info?

7. myco

myco Contributing Member

In Austin, have Gigapower. I'm a little ambivalent about it. When it works, it's great, but I've had noticeably more issues with the internet and tv service going out since getting it.

I'm probably going to hold out until Google Fiber (hopefully) makes its way to my neighborhood before I make a change.

8. Scionxa

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-2...still-have-my-Directv-and-the-HD/td-p/3612107

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29891536-In-case-you-were-wondering-the-exact-HD-bitrate

[​IMG]

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

I regret signing another 1 year contract with UVerse.

The internet is blah and tv is okay.

U300 + 18mb internet is around 135 with taxes. I just hate comcast so much (especially their pricing tactics) that I don't feel like switching.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hmm... they're laying the fiber optic for this in my neighborhood right now, I believe. I doubt I'll get it here, though since I'll probably be moving in the next few months.

11. Scionxa

Fiber to the node or fiber to the home ?

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not sure to be honest as I haven't seen the trucks -- I just got an email from the HOA stating they were finally here. They've been hitting other neighborhoods around here since last year or early this year, I think. I know they're digging through people's yards in some cases, so maybe FTTP? The city had stopped the rollout for a while after the installers kept severing gas lines while doing it. lol.

13. Scionxa

Just got the notification Gigapower is available at my location. Went with the 300/300 option.

We'll see how this goes.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What area of Houston?

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Unfortunately not available in Pearland yet. May I ask how much the 300/300 Gigapower option is?

16. Scionxa

Getting it installed 12/7. I'll let you know then.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up cancelling it and reverting to my Uverse 45MB account. AT&T has terrible peering with content delivery networks, and I don't expect it to change when I add GigaPower.

I am likely going to enjoy that upload speed though. That's mainly what I care about.

17. Scionxa

Spring.

18. Scionxa

Just got it installed.

Getting 280/280 over WiFi (5GHZ band, 802.11AC), and 300/300 hard-wired.

19. Scionxa

$75 for the 300/300 option

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

That's a great price for that up/down speed! Do they have monthly data caps?