1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AT&T firing back at Tmobile

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Feb 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Damn, my family's Verizon contract ends around October.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I switch 2 of 4 phone to the Next plan.....basically cut the $40 smartphone per line to $25...because i needed to 2 phones. I might upgrade the others.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is EXACTLY why it was great AT&T wasn't allowed to swallow T-Mobile and eliminate them as a competitor.

It's also why a Sprint + T-Mobil merger should be denied.

Long live T-Mobile USA because they will be the driving force for changes like this.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I wonder if Verizon will do some kind of deal to match all of these going on.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They will kicking and screaming. T-Mobile pulling AT&T in the right direction will eventually force Verizon to react in a way that benefits consumers. This is what competition is all about.

The big 2 (Verizon and AT&T) can't be allowed to dominate the industry any more than they do now.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You can get T-Mobile even cheaper if you limit data, I believe. As someone that uses wifi about 75% of the time, I'd prefer T-Mobile. I'm on a Sprint family plan right now. I pay about $50 a month for unlimited everything. My contract is due up in May.

I might switch to TMoblie and get the new Sony Experia Z1s(I believe is what they're calling it). We do a lot of kayaking and a decent amount of travelling, so that phone, coupled with T-Mobile's free international texting (although I think ATT is starting something similar now) make me want to switch and get this phone, even if I pay $20 more a month. Oh, and I could switch sooner than May, cuz they'll pay my way out of my contract. The only downside is I'm not sure if the coverage is a ton better than Sprint's in my neck of the woods.

I have a few questions about the one up thing with T-Mobile, though. Namely, if I want to switch phones with One Up, do I have to pay for my phone in full, first?

And I wholeheartedly agree with A_3PO on all points. T-Mobile is trying go revolutionize wireless here, and it's going to benefit everyone.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tmobile's coverage SUCKS. That's why people stay with AT&T and Verizon.

9. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Haven't had any issues with LTE with TMobile yet. Been getting a consistent 12Mbp/s down on their LTE network throughout town.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You don't have to pay off your phone in full. Once you hit 6 months you can upgrade regardless of how much you still owe on your current phone.

Also more than international texting, I found the unlimited international data to be absolutely invaluable. We rented a car in the carribean recently and having google maps to find things was huge. We were getting 3g most of the time (every now and then we were downgraded to edge but that was pretty rare) Also having wifi calling built into the android OS helps a ton when you're traveling since that's free calling back to the US from anywhere with a wifi access point.

Also where I live, TMobile has a great network so I don't really have any issues with poor coverage.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Good for you. (I'm not trying to sound like an *******.)

I had horrible service at home (Memorial) and now here at Austin. I switched to Verizon, and I couldn't be happier.

12. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

On their HSPA+ network, it was hit or miss when it came to data. Their refarmed LTE network has been pretty good so far in Houston. No complaints from me.

13. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I agree T-Mobile free international data and texting while roaming is amazing. I traveling right now and having data whichever country I go to without having to buy a local Sim is awesome. Only thing is that even though your phone might say 3g or 4g T-Mobile is actually throttling you down to 2G. Which is fine by me because I can still read my clutchfans and use google maps.

14. BleedsRocketRed

It's all relative really

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The WiFi calling is the other positive I forgot to mention. I drop calls regularly at my house with Sprint. And I live in an area of about 250,000 people. I would never have to worry about that with WiFi calling.

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

They aren't even comparing to the right T-Mobile plan.

10gb shared is roughly 2 GB per line for 5 lines.

T mobile would be 160 for 5 lines with 2gb 4g and unlimited 2g after.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

2G is useless.

I changed my family plan with 4 lines to the $160 (come with wifi hotspot now).
    I would have saved probably $50 a month. However, I moved 3 phones to the Next upgrade plan (18 months. You can also do 12 months) and got 2-32 GB iPhone 5s and a HTC One 32GB. It's is $28.08 for the iPhone 5s 32GB and $23 for the HTC One on monthly hardware installment with the Next plan.

I traded in an old, barely working iPhone 4 that wasn't being used and a dying Galaxy s3 to pay for the taxes on the phones (taxes are around $60 for the iPhones, $58 for the HTC) and got $100 and $85 respectively (yes, I could have gotten more on EBAY......didn't care). So, I walkout with paying anything for the 3 new phones out of pocket.

My new bill is actually a few dollars cheaper with the FAN discount, even with the monthly hardware charges.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

2G is useless.

I changed my family plan with 4 lines to the $160 (come with wifi hotspot now).
    I would have saved probably $50 a month. However, I moved 3 phones to the Next upgrade plan (18 months. You can also do 12 months) and got 2-32 GB iPhone 5s and a HTC One 32GB. It's is $28.08 for the iPhone 5s 32GB and $23 for the HTC One on monthly hardware installment with the Next plan.

I traded in an old, barely working iPhone 4 that wasn't being used and a dying Galaxy s3 to pay for the taxes on the phones (taxes are around $60 for the iPhones, $58 for the HTC) and got $100 and $85 respectively (yes, I could have gotten more on EBAY......didn't care). So, I walkout with paying anything for the 3 new phones out of pocket.

My new bill is actually a few dollars cheaper with the FAN discount, even with the monthly hardware charges.

And...I got 2 more GBs of data (was on an 8GB shared bucket).

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

How big is the pool of data you're sharing with 4 lines? If 10 gb thats not bad. 4 lines with 2gb each line on T-Mobile would be 140. Still a bit cheaper but not by much. My experience with families that share data is that either one person hogs it all or it goes almost unused which would be more ideal for the T-Mobile plans with only 500mb 4g and unlimited 2g thereafter. The plan customization per line in T-Mobile is a bit more flexible.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Actually, it would be better if T-Mobile allowed lines to shared pooled data.