1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At 32 years old, will we be getting Chris Paul or Cliff Paul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jun 28, 2017.

?

Will we be getting Chris Paul or Cliff Paul?

1. Chris Paul

84.2%
  2. Cliff Paul

15.8%
  1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

that or he's the MVP Whisperer

swyyyguy and hakeem94 like this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think the question is still valuable as it relates to his next contract this off season. His effectiveness isn't specifically tied to his athletic ability so he will probably age well - his bball IQ, passing, shooting, and change up game will all continue to be effective late into his career. You may see drop offs in terms of staying in front of younger players but I don't think we are there yet and to an extent CP's bball IQ makes him better equipped to mitigate this through some educated anticipation. That being said, the real risk for CP3 as he ages isn't related so much to his on court performance so much as his ability to stay healthy through an 82 game season. In other words, you probably won't want to sign Paul if you need 82 games and an extended playoff run from him - as he ages, you will need to give him nights off, reduce his minutes, and only lean on him when needed. This is VERY similar to how Golden State turned Iggy into a near All Star looking player on some nights when it had previously looked like he was done. It's why Iggy was the MVP of their first title run.

The other consideration here is depth - we need to be able to weather the storm when CP is out during relatively low priority regular season games and that's where adding another competent ball handler on this roster is probably a good idea(think of a versatile Shaun Livingston type player).

All that said - I still think Paul is worth the effort to retain him well into his 30s because he can and will swing a series if he is fresh - he's too good not to...it's really all going to come down to how much money Paul wants. Hard to see us giving him the max but maybe so. How we fare in the playoffs this year, whether we can we hang with golden state or not, and if Lebron is interested all also factor into that question so the answer is inconclusive until we get into this next offseason.

white_dragon likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes defense is unbeliavable, i swear he somehow has hands on the ball or in near vicinity of the ball on almost every single possession

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it was more of a metaphor... actually the fixated and non-flexible gradation and even the very concept of a single most valuable player, to the exclusion of other players, I find is absurd and inconsistent with my understanding of the universe and of the game as an integral part thereof and an embodiment of principles of the aforementioned...

5. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Plz be okay CP3 :(

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Today we had cliff. Wednesday we will have chris

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Cliff alternate with Chris

One day Cliff, next day Christy

8. alethios

alethios Member

Glad we had Clint.

jevjnd likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wow this Sway fellow is a prophet with his disaster predictions.

Thank god his apostle is spreading the gospel by bumping these two faced hot takes.

Clutch Fans be blessed yall

10. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Everyone has a bad game occasionally. I don't remember the last time CP3 had more turnovers than JH.

Hakeemtheking and RudyTBag like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Will you see Eric Gordon or Eric the Hobbit?

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I know we gave players plenty of rest and some were a bit injured, but the Rockets were just rolling just prior to getting homecourt throughout the playoffs. Too much rest can mess up a player's rhythm. Hopefully they will get their groove back soon.

#112 Hakeemtheking, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not that worried but it is true that while blowouts happen, they happen at a far lesser rate than in the regular season.

Even the worst playoff teams happen to play with more intensity in the postseason.