1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade Powell

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Cold Hard, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This can't be possible. Villone plays for the Rockies, not Detroit. I thought we could only trade with the Tigers. [​IMG]

------------------

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

Move along, Junior Member. [​IMG]

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

4. SpEnCeR

SpEnCeR Member

Thank God, Jay Powell SUCKS

------------------
    \|||/
    -ô¿ô-
    *(-)*

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

In all honesty, I don't see how this helps us. Jay Powell has sucked an awful lot lately, but Ron Villone isn't really any good either . . .

I guess they must want to put him in the Bullpen, because we really have no need for another starter, unless Elarton is going down to the minors or to the bullpen for a while.

That would give us

Redding
    Miller
    Oswalt
    Reynolds
    Mlicki and Villone in a battle to the death for this spot

------------------
    CC.net's most courteous driver

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a job right now, so hire me please :)

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

What, just because I only have a few posts I can't have an opinion? Man, you guys think you know it all because you have a million posts! [​IMG] I've been reading this board for 12 years, but just now decided to register!

------------------

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Can we trade Elarton now? He is turning into another Lima. He's had maybe 2 or 3 good starts all year.

Surf

------------------

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Elarton has lost about 5mph on his fastball, and its control.

I will tell you who I think should go...Burt Hooten.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

9. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Yeah, Powell is gone. Isn't Villone a "husky" left hander?

------------------
    Stevierebel

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

HOOTEN SUCKS NUTS. Seriously he does need to go.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I didn't know this board had been around for 12 years. I thought '96 was the first year [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited June 28, 2001).]

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Nothing the Astros do can even mirror what the Rockets did last night. Powell for Villone? Thanks Drayton.

------------------

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Powell has had problems here the past couple of years. He has never quite come back from arm problems. The Astros have little confidence in him. While Villone may be pitching poorly as well, at least he is pitching poorly from the left side.

The Astros intend to move Mlicki to the bullpen and move Redding into the starting rotation.

As has been the case recently, Elarton has one hugely bad inning and loses.

------------------

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I'll drink to that trade.

Yaaaaahhhoooooooooo!!!!!!!!

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

15. haven

haven Member

I think they're going to find out something's wrong with Elarton's arm. 6'7 young guys don't generally lose that sort of velocity just for the heck of it.

I'm sort of sad to see Powell go. I always htought he and Wagner could be the best set-up/closer combo in baseball. I haven't really understood his troubles the past couple of years... good fastbal, decent curve, ='s good pitcher, right? [​IMG]

Oh well, best of luck to Jay Powell wherever he goes. At least we didn't trade for Rocker...

------------------
    Newbiehad... coming to a bbs near you, October 31st.

16. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

I'll drink to trading Drayton McClane and I'm 17.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So you want to get rid of the man that helped save baseball in Houston, paved the way for a beautiful new stadium and helped position the team to win 3 consecutive division titles as well as be perennial winers in the 90s? He also has spent the money to make the Astros farm system one of the best (if not THE best) in all of baseball. He made competitive offers to keep Randy Johnson and Kile but they wanted even more. Hampton would not negotiate with ANY team until he was a free agent and the Astros did not want to risk losing him for nothing (as they did with Kile). The Astros payroll is in the upper half of the league. What specifically has Drayton done to incur your wrath?

------------------

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think our frustration is that we assumed with a new stadium, Drayton would spend a bit more. I don't know anything about revenue this or that, but I do know that Houston is a top 10 market with a revenue friendly stadium. I think Drayton right now wants to make up for the years he lost money, and I don't blame him for that.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

19. haven

haven Member

Hampton and Everett *wanted* to stay in Houston. If the offers had been truly competitive, they would have stayed. They were traded because Drayton knew he wouldn't give them market value. He must have a very loose idea of competitive.

Now, Houston's about to lose Alou. If Ward were playing well, MAYBE I could understand it. But he's not. More cheap-skate semantics about going young.

------------------
    Don't let those uppity newbies get away with acting like vets...

...all newbies are equal, remember that.

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

young = cheap in Drayton's mind. I'll be pissed the day Berkman leaves.......

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."