1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Except when they are called on to field to give a fielder a day off.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Lol basically you cannot get fair value for a player as good as Trout. If I were the Angels GM I would never in a million years trade Trout, but if I had to, I would demand:
    Tucker
    Alvarez
    Davis
    Fisher
    Whitley
    Martes
    C Martin
    C Perez

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The point was that he's not the type of DH that can only DH.... which plenty of AL teams have had a version of those over the years, or ever since the DH was implemented.

As it is, him getting back to his career numbers was always the expectations.... which is surprising why so many were down on him for a bad month to start the season, many who should have realized that a course correction was due.

4. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I'm the Astros I'm pulling the trigger no doubt about it.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Thanks for the good laugh this morning.

mikol13 likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His career numbers are not good for a DH (not just counting his DH ABs). Any slight downtick in ability will turn Gattis into a very bad DH or unplayable. There is nothing wrong with thinking he is having a downtick in performance after what he did in first 4-5 weeks. He's 31 with a body type that demands excellence from the bat as he ages. Granted, wanting to make a move after every game for the first 4-5 weeks without waiting to deadline to see how things work themselves out was annoying.

I see no difference in people freaking out after 4-5 weeks from people making too much of last 6. He's still likely:
    1. an okay DH with no room for error with the bat going forward,
    2. don't want to play him in the field.

I hope he stays hitting well even if he regresses to his season averages.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm at the point where I'm almost completely sold on Tony Kemp. We still have to wait for the league to make their adjustments to him, but what he's doing at the plate looks as legit as someone can possibly look. He hits line drives, fights off good pitches, takes bad pitches. He likes to work walks, but he doesn't go up looking to do so, he see's a good pitch he swings.

He is not a good outfielder right now, but he's not dear god my eyes Preston Tucker bad, I think he can still improve in that regard. I want to see him everyday, even if his power isn't ideal for a LF. Kyle Tucker is also starting to come on really strong in Fresno, so I don't see a real pressing need for OF help.

8. torque

Supporting Member

Kemp and Gattis are obviously super encouraging, but I am worried they are inflating their numbers against poor pitching. It's all fine and good, but when we are facing Severino or Chris Sale in a game 7 I think I'd trust an Abreu or Realmuto more than a Kemp, Gattis, or Stassi.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Tony Kemp was hitting .300 with a .390 OBP when we finished our brutal stretch against the contenders. His OPS has come up only .15 points since we started playing scrubs.

Smacktle and everyday eddie like this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Astros missed on Mike Trout on draft day, Selecting Jiovanni Mier instead.

No Worries and raining threes like this.
  11. bobrek

So did 20 other teams including the team that drafted him.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If I was the angels and going to trade trout to the Astros my deal would be trout and pujols for Correa. I’d do that if I were Anaheim. That’s it.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. bobrek

Barring injury, Mike Trout will go down as one of the top 10 position players in MLB history. No way the Angels make that trade.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Whatever... people were going apoplectic during a slump based on some likely pre-concieved bias' that they didn't like Gattis (and in some cases, it was fully admitted).

Sure, he was awful... anybody who honestly expected that to be who he is either was secretly rooting for it (so they can get somebody else), or just doesn't really watch enough regular season games.

Nobody is saying he's the best DH in the league... but he's productive enough to play everyday for the best offense in baseball.

He's also 31... not 35. To expect his best offensive days are behind him is quite presumptuous.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Not minimizing trout at all. But it’d clear 60 million from their books and bring back one of the top 10 talents in today’s game. It gets them out of the stars and scrubs mode that hasn’t been particularly successful for them. I’m not saying They’d do it, I’m saying we’re I them I’d do it.
    Or, looked at another way, Trout has been on GOAT path for 6 years and they’ve gotten nothing teamwise out of it, and that was before he got really expensive. It’s be worth considering, to me, for sure, if I were them.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This line of thinking: "Astros may not be that good vs good teams" , is a bunch of NBA-centric BS.

Unless you play in a division with a true contender, you're going to play the majority of your games against inferior competition. Good teams are largely going to split series or one team is 1-2 games better. Very rarely will you get a good team that utterly dominates all good teams in baseball.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're not worried about payroll... if they were, they wouldn't be adding more every year, signing big players every year, for a team that isn't likely to contend.

They also draw 3 million+ fans every year.... largely to watch guys like Trout or stars in the making like Ohtani.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That makes me sad.

19. torque

Supporting Member

Of course, but we shouldn't even be thinking about the regular season. We should be thinking repeat. I'm willing to sacrifice prospects for a better shot at a repeat, and I think Abreu gives us a better shot at it than does Gattis/Kemp/Davis/White/Tucker/whoever. At least this year.

20. torque

Supporting Member

Astros trade:
    Frankie Martes
    David Paulino
    Stephen Wrenn
    Jonathan Arauz

Padres trade:
    Brad Hand
    Kirby Yates

Who says no?

Stros bullpen:
    Sipp
    McHugh
    Peacock
    Harris
    Yates
    Giles
    Rondon
    Hand
    Devenksi

I know it's 9 guys - assuming DL stints start happening for the pitching staff with McHugh rotating between the pen and the rotation. That's a pretty formidable bullpen.

Smacktle and conquistador#11 like this.