1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm amused he wasn't blacklisted by the league just like that ungrateful quarterback fellow who wouldn't stand for the anthem.

Say all you want about the changing times. They look the same to me from where I stand.

You think this thread is bad... Just wait when they're in a nationally televised high leverage series. It'll be the topic that keeps giving.

topfive likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Not sure where you stand, but you might want to shuffle a bit to the side.

vince and Nook like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sure Buck, we wouldn't want this thread to go downhill more than it already has.

4. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Ungrateful quarterback fellow? LOL

You sound dumb

everyday eddie and crose like this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

We all have that line. The line where it stops being "just entertainment". For some it was the anthem protests. For some it is domestic abuse. For some cheating/steroids. Maybe you haven't hit your line yet but I'm sure it exists. And maybe we should just respect other people's "lines". No matter what everyone believes I'm sure I can find a person you wouldn't be able to root for even if it's just sports.

vince, Roc Paint and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is what people don't seem to understand - and I know that because too many responses were of the THEN DON'T WATCH! variety. I've been watching/cheering the Astros for 40 years; not watching isn't really a viable option at this point. I'm pot-committed. So reconciling something I love with something I hate is difficult and there really is no satisfying answer.

For me - and many others - that's why, on this much lower-tier, less important, selfish level, the deal sucks.

#1086 Hey Now!, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    mikol13, Invisible Fan and Nimo like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can understand this. my "line" for the longest time was the Astros move to the AL. I'm still not completely over that, so I certainly know how different fans can have "lines"....the issue is respecting other people's "lines". To me, it seems absolutely ridiculous for this Osuna deal to represent crossing a "line", but that doesn't mean that to others this isn't the biggest deal in franchise history. Other people thought it was ridiculous that I couldn't enjoy the Astros the same way when they joined the gimmick league. For me, I eventually was able to get over it enough to still remain a casual fan, I think the people flipping out about Osuna will end up in the same place....only he'll eventually be gone so it'll just be a short term thing for them.

8. Buck Turgidson

Is that a challenge? ;)

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

I drew my line in the virtual sands of cyberspace, and then I stepped over it.

Joshfast likes this.
  10. Malaya

Malaya Member

I hope his Sept 5 court date goes in his favor, because we're inching closer to having to try him out as our closer.

Division battle is too close for comfort.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Short of him going to jail, he's going to remain on the roster.

12. Malaya

Malaya Member

Yeah, but that can mess with him mentally over time. He really needs that peace bond agreement.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I dunno. I’ve seen athletes say that the game provides an escape from everyday stuff to the point that they feel more at “home” on the field.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Yet he was the set up guy yesterday lol

16. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And looked Gilesque by striking out the side while giving up a run and getting men all over the bases :(

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have a suspicion he was going to be tabbed for a 6 out save. He hadn't pitched since Friday. Having to throw 30 pitches, and labor some, certainly eliminated that possibility.

Hinch re-iterated that Osuna is going to be getting 9th innings during the stretch run, but doesn't mean he won't be getting 6 out opportunities as well.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Speaking of which, he's doing pretty well in Toronto recently.

19. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Noooooooooo

Houstunna likes this.
  20. Malaya

Malaya Member

Wait until Strommie has more time to work with him.