1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Reputation on the line?

This will be forgotten about once it runs its cycle.

Or we can pretend 50 years from now some fans are going to be like...."those damn Astros traded for a domestic abuser, screw em."

Whatever works for you.

Joshfast likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Reputation on the line means that they are banking that this will be forgotten like you say. But if it doesn't, yes it will affect their reputation for some time. Don't know how long. If they waited till after the "remorse and apology" and forgiveness; they wouldn't have gotten the "discount" they got. It's like buying stock low. It's a risk because the price may never come back up but their is definitely reward there.

3. Major

Major Member

Yeah, and this is baseball related.

Of course we are.

You complain about lineups and Lunhow's moves and Hinch's decisions and have no control over them. Why do you do that?

Again, then don't read those posts. You don't get to decide what's interesting or boring for other people. Other people might find the moral quandries of sports interesting.

You have a simple solution to your problem sitting in front of you. You seem more interested in b****ing about it than solving it.

#1063 Major, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Hey Now! likes this.
  4. raining threes

Hey Now

5. raining threes

LOL

He actually gave him good advice if he's that outraged.

6. raining threes

For me. sports is entertainment and if Osuna makes the team better and he never does this again (We dont really know what happened but it got the lowest level charge in the Canadian judicial system.) then I'm on board with adding Osuna to the team.

Frankly I'm glad Astros ownership is nothing like the Texans. About time this city got a team that will do what it takes to win.

7. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

This is pretty much exactly my take on this.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Senator

Senator Member

Robbie Osuna War Cry

He ain't a good ol boy
    He'll throw his girl around
    Pump her, into the ground
    Then take it to the mound

He ain't a good ol boy
    But he's gon win games safe and sound
    Take that Giles you ol hound
    We got the heat now let's turn it around

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say, for me sports is entertainment. I doubt I will be entertained while Osuna is on mound for the Astros. I was brought up that you never hit (assault) a woman. Not sure Canada can prove it, but they, Blue Jays, Astros, and MLB think he did something. That's good enough for me even if others want more evidence. This has been a very fun year for me. This trade knocked a lot of the fun out of it as I don't want to think about these issues while watching a ball game.

Not saying others should feel how I feel.

Hey Now! likes this.
  10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Oh he'll pump her alright. Hi-yo!!

Senator likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Astros fans will get over it but every time you read about the astros or Osuna on Twitter you will get other team's fans talking about the wife beater. They still talk about Yuli and the asian gesture and that was not even close to this.

12. HTM

HTM Member

Well good thing I don't read twitter or reddit. I'm safe.

Nippystix likes this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

So, is this the very first time a professional sports team has ever taken a risk on a player with questionable ethics? (answer is no)

Since its NOT the first time, lets all reminisce about the horrible mistakes other teams make and how that permanently affected their reputation.

There was....

and then.....

AND DON'T FORGET.......

Damn. This is harder than I thought.

14. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

One decision won't do that; you need several (Portland Jailblazers). However its not a permanent scar of the franchise but it would be on the regime.

Nimo likes this.
  15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Of course it is not permanent. Nothing is in sports rhetoric. I have said over and over again that they are receiving backlash now but it will go away eventually. Even if Osuna ends up acting like a non-remorseful jerk. Which is why I don't understand people getting all upset because people don't like this trade. This trade at this moment looks at the very least questionable by the Astros in the eyes of most. That should be expected. But people will stop talking about it soon enough.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think people are annoyed with some of the fake sanctimony.

Everybody here has cheered, at some point, for a player that committed a crime. Many here who complained about this trade will also rejoice profusely if he gets the final out to win a World Series. Teams that win (and win a lot, often) also do take on these sorts of risks... those claiming it was going to cripple the team morale need to get a grip.

I also feel the issue with giving second chances deserves to be explored. There are some here saying they’re ok with it, just not with the Astros... which is slightly hypocritical. There are others saying he should be banned and never be allowed to pitch again... which is also quite extreme. We’re a forgiving country/culture/society by nature... and saying a 23 year old should never be allowed to work in his profession again after he served his suspension seems just a tad over the top, even with the seriousness of the offense he committed.

Uprising and raining threes like this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I can't defend everybody on here but I don't think it is fake. It might not make sense or we can't reason but it is probably how they feel. For instance, I've said him finishing his suspension before getting traded made a difference for me. The reaction would have been so different for Astros fans and media if this trade occurred after Osuna was no longer looked at as a domestic abuser but a baseball player. I know you don't agree with that. There is a true "I don't like this guy" and "he now plays for a team I like" that people are going through. Even the Astros players show some disturbance or inner conflict. It's gotten better after the meeting with Lunhow and Osuna and fans will get there too eventually. It will take time. Some of what you see and hear is them working it out in their minds.

I just think the 2nd chance and the redemption should come after the punishment has been served and/or there is evidence of remorse or rehabilitation. It didn't happen in this case so I was not a fan of the trade.

I don't know anyone who is saying he should be banned for life but I agree that is over the top.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was brought up to never do lots of things. Many things I've done personally and many things I'd bet several Astros players have done are things I'd consider morally reprehensible. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the game. The difference is I'm not as emotionally invested in the players I don't like.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

20. Buck Turgidson

Look, your masturbatory habits have no place in this conversation.