1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Roberto Osuna needs a Therapist. He has Anxiety, Anger.
    Women do bait guys into violence, screaming, pushing, slapping, punching scratching, loud shriek of a voice, repetitive Arguments. At 23 years old he snapped. Either focus totally on his career and Focus on a Therapist or Get a Doctor

#721 rockets1995, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

3. SS0101

SS0101 Member

What I am saying is...there isnt some sort of chart that outlines a specific act within the realm of DV which then lines up with a number that says "this is the number of days for suspension for this specific act."

I guess what I am trying to say as well is that the public climate on such things is a huge determining factor in mlbs decision. For example...firing a gun 8 times and choking the victim doesnt seem like it would get 30 games in 2018.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This doesn't help. At. All.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If you look at this situation and see racism, you are just someone who can’t be helped

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think, at least for me, this is where Lunhow's stipulation before trading for him was that he gets to go talk face to face with him. Because of the deadline, we couldn't wait until after the suspension. Although it was almost over. Lunhow wanted to talk to the kid, see what he felt, what the full situation was, and other things he might have said coming back from suspension. Is it perfect, absolutely not, but it was the best Lunhow could do before the deadline...

Also, would Blue Jays be getting this whacked after the suspension was over if they didnt drop him immediately? Or were they giving him a second chance?

kaleidosky likes this.
  7. The Beard

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Are you under the delusion I'm the only person who found every single aspect of this gross? There's a segment of fans - how large, I don't know as I'm hesitatnt to equate volume to size - disgusted by this transaction. Maybe time + success blows it all away; maybe Osuna embraces the personal challenge and becomes a leading advocate - etc. etc., etc.

Nonetheless, in the interim, the Astros had an opportunity to soften this and did not.

9. Hey Now!

He was arrested and charged with a crime. Baseball suspended him - without appeal - for 75 games, the second longest domestic violence-related suspension in league history. He's a 23-year old elite closer the Blue Jays chose to trade pennies on the dollar for rather than weather the storm ... but, yeah - you're right - do we really know ANYTHING?......

Domestic violence, "not THAT serious of an issue" - jesus christ, man........

The Beard likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

It sure seems like that's what he's banking on, and, yeah - he may be right. But man, it adds an extra layer of scummy to this whole scummy situation, doesn't it?

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Luhnow needs to send him a gift basket for taking the attention away from us, at least for now.

The Beard likes this.
  12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

13. Hey Now!

I, first and foremost, hope the girlfriend never knows another day as dark as the one she's already experienced (with even greater hope it is merely *a* day and not days); if she can learn to love & trust Osuna again because he's become a beacon of how a person can embrace their faults, grow and be a better human - and then he can spread his message to others and make a difference - that's great and I support even effort toward that outcome.

And if we reached that point *and then the Astros traded for Osuna*, I'd have far fewer issues with the deal, if any at all. I do not necessarily believe a singular transgression - if you've served your punishment - should preclude you from earning a living moving forward.

But that's not remotely close to where we are. The Astros cravenly exploited Osuna's criminality to make their baseball team better. It's an indefensibly gross transaction.

Now, if the Astros can steer Osuna to the outcome I described above? Commendable - but I'm not sure they'll ever be able to completely erase the stain.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

You can never erase a stain in some people eyes... if it was the accused fault or not...

People will make their stance (as you've already made) without factual proof in record speed, every single time. For this instance, no facts are released so how can one come up with a judgment? There are so many things right and wrong with this case that it will unequivocally leave a stench.

It's a risky move for sure, but I can't stand baseball writers, twitter, media quickly labeling a guy guilty when we really don't know. It happens on a daily basis. A headline can slander someone and people take it as fact when all it is... is an opinionated piece.

All I'm asking for is facts and we are never getting them. The only thing we will get is a guilty, not guilty, or a peace bond.

P.S read the article I just posted.

everyday eddie and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. CinematicFusion

If it’s as bad as some here are imagining then....
    1. Why didn’t the Blu Jays just kick him off the team? They should know more then everyone else right?
    2. Why did MLB only suspend him? If it’s horrible..... why didn’t they ban him from baseball?

We need to wait and see how it plays out. Everything is speculation from our side of the coin. Have to trust MLB, they presumably saw what happened and suspended him accordingly. He has served his suspension and is now free to play baseball according to MLB based on what they saw.

Now... you don’t have to agree with MLB and their decision to let him play, you don’t have to buy tickets to the games. MLB understands that. Life will go on for Osuna, just as it’s gone on for Chapman.

IowaAstro likes this.
  16. The Beard

Why would they kick him off the team when they could fine someone who would give them assets for him. They still get rid of him and he is someone else’s problem, but they aren’t left with nothing

Most of this isn’t difficult to figure out, but most people are just using the parts of the issue they want to make their point

Osuna is lucky he plays baseball, if I was arrested for the same offense I’m not going to be allowed back on campus until my name is fully cleared legally. I’m not missing half and school year/season and then going back to work with no resolution

So it’s really not that bad for people to voice their opinions against bringing in a guy who at least to some extent, abused a woman. Dude still gets to pitch, now for the best team in baseball

17. Hey Now!

Facts:
    - something occurred that prompted a neutral third party to call the police;
    - the police arrested Roberto Osuna and charged him with assault;
    - MLB handed Roberto Osuna the second-longest domestic violence-related suspension in its history;
    - Roberto Osuna, despite the prospect of losing ~ $2.65MM (roughly three months salary), did not appeal the second-longest domestic violence-related suspension in its history;
    - the Blue Jays, despite Osuna being a cost-controlled, 23-year old elite closer, chose to trade him for pennies on the dollar rather than stick by him just days before his suspension was scheduled to expire.

If you feel better wrapping yourself up in the fact his case hasn't been tried in a court of law, cool; have at it. But please stop passing along this fallacy that WE DON"T KNOW ANYTHING?!?!?!?! We know PLENTY, and NONE of it is good.

18. CinematicFusion

I agree....Craig Biggio was lucky he played baseball. When he got his DWI back in 1989 and then bribed the officer to get off.....most companies would fire you on the spot or won't hire you with a DWI on your record.
    If you have talent, people will give you another chance.

You bring up a good point. I think most in baseball don't have an issue with Osuna being awarded a second chance (we still don't know the details as to what happened to warrant his assault charge in Canada, so opinions can change.) But looking at Chapman, it's fair to say fans have moved on and have given him a second chance.

Many have an issue with him being suspended but then able to come back the same year and be rewarded with the opportunity to play in the World Series.
    Seems like they should change the rules to where players who are suspended for domestic violence shouldn't be allowed to participate in that years playoffs.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Does Texans signing Manziel or his playing anywhere also disgust you ?

20. Hey Now!

The callous, cynical answer is they hoped they could turn him around for usable assets. The more hopeful answer is that there's absolutely nothing wrong with a team standing by one its players, engaging in their rehabilitation and laying the foundation for long-term, personal success. *Trading* for that player because you could cravenly exploit his value, however....

Also...
    Because his discipline is mandated by a collectively-bargained domestic abuse policy.