1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I said it before in the trade options thread. Either he belongs in prison, or I'm fine with him on the team.

The hard part is you never no for sure what is going on. Is it a one time incident? Did he hit her multiple times during the incident?

Hard to imagine the picture/video of the victim will never surface.

BigM likes this.
  2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Facts are the real issue, and no one in the general public knows what the facts are yet. There are instances where the girl is a liar. That LB for the 49ers would attest to that.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But he is right that they will mostly blow over assuming that happens, without pictures/video coming out. Guilty outcomes that aren't plea deals that erase the conviction are exceedingly rare in these cases. Generally people move on with their criticism.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Many seemed to view, previous to yesterday, the Astros as some sort of "Good Guy" club. A club that occupied the high ground in some sense. That is fine I suppose, but it doesn't excuse the hypocrisy that goes with the backlash aimed at the Astros organization.

Yes, hypocrisy. Those saying these things must see themselves as qualified to judge others. To take an "alleged" act and mark him as guilty. To slander others who support such a person.

These are not the qualities of people who represent the high ground.

5. HTM

HTM Member

SS0101, HTown2017Champs and Surfguy like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Jeff Passan has been a worthless hack for a long time.

7. HTM

HTM Member

This sh*t is the first thing I see when I go to my homepage (yahoo). That's annoying.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Either that or they just want a good pitcher to get through the playoffs, before any court or hearings, regardless of what kind of scumbag he "might" be proven to be. Maybe he is innocent, but just the thought that he could be a woman beater doesn't make me happy about him joining our team. If they really thought he was innocent, they probably wouldn't have let him go. Somehow I wonder if he had a history of doing shady stuff.

Houstunna likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I went from "I feel pretty" watching the Astros to "I feel dirty" watching the Astros. Oh well.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Did you feel guilty watching Detroit's "Bad Boys" or the Oakland Raiders in their hay day?

I didn't :)

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

No, just a little dirty. I'm used to it. I have to deal with it as a Cowboys fan. Luhnow sunk to Jerry's level a bit here possibly. Have to wait to see what the facts are here cause I have no idea. I will feel a little dirty until then. The Astros haven't experienced this level of taint since Biggio's DWI. ;)

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Pretty much where I'm at.

14. CinematicFusion

I meant in relationship to Chapman and the Yankees. Chapman was suspended for domestic abuse by the MLB.....and MLB life has gone on for him.
    Doesn't seem like MLB, Media, Fans made a big deal about him last year regarding his domestic abuse case. Would that be a fair point?

Next year at this time....does anyone care if he is found innocent or charges dropped?

Personally I'm on the fence and I have to trust the Astros and their research on this player. Their reputations are on the line....so I'm sure they did the due diligence.

15. Major

Major Member

I think that was part of the national appeal of the Astros. They were easy to root for. They looked like they were kids out there having fun. The iconic images from that run are players like Correa and Altuve looking like kids on Christmas. There were no "bad guys". Nobody that was a villain, etc. No moody players. No stars where you questioned their effort (Harden in past years) or attitude/selfishness (Dwight Howard). No one that came across as b****y or brooding (Belichick). Every championship team has a story - whether they are the bad guys or a superteam or an unexpected miracle team or whatever. The Astros' story was about a team with a long-term vision, young stars, great chemistry and a bunch of really good, fun players to watch and easy to root for. No one really hated the Astros, unlike just about every other championship team out there - that was their unique stamp.

That changes a little here. That's not a bad thing - no one ultimately will care if they win and there will be a new narrative of being back-to-back champs, new reinforcements, etc. But I think it's hard to argue that the 'good guy' aspect of the team was part of their appeal in 2017, both to local fans and in how they are portrayed nationally.

In the court of public opinion, everyone judges others based on the facts in front of them. People judge people in good ways (Altuve's a great guy!) based on what we know, despite the fact that he might be a horrible person behind the scenes. And they just people in bad ways based on what they know (Durant's a b****! Osuna is a domestic abuser)! There's nothing particularly hypocritical about it - people might be wrong, but everyone does it and no one generally thinks twice about it. Do you really have no opinions on any public figure?

#375 Major, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    HTown2017Champs and jim1961 like this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So Osuna just decided to go with the lie and take the 75 game suspension? He didn’t argue against it because?

17. vince

vince Member

18. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

This of course shows even for a perceived "good guy" organization that's at the end of the day it's mainly about winning at all cost. The more stuff comes out about this whole situation the more disappointed I am in Luhnow though. He didn't have to even bring this heat on the organization and bring in a very questionable character guy and could have gotten other relief pitchers (and a ****ing bat) for the same package or less possibly. Just feeling more disappointed at this point.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Why do you feel disappointed?

Isn't this what fans want? A team that can dominate and win multiple Championships?

BigM likes this.
  20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Of course but like I said he didn't have to go this route. There were other relief pitchers out there (Herrera, Familia, etc.) Why go this route and bring the baggage that comes with it? Could cause more harm than good possibly.