1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros Trade for Roberto Osuna

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Jul 30, 2018.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its been said he has been working in AAA, so game shape shouldn't be too far off. Hopefully by the later part of August, he will be ready. As far as saving games, the offense will get going again, I have no doubt. What might be in doubt, is when that will occur and if we still have a cushion left in the west when it does.

Big agree here. How many guys has Jeff brought on that destroyed the clubhouse?

Smacktle likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The chemistry and PR issues can be overblown. Like just about everything it will come down to performance. If he does his job, and is easy to get along with, players and fans here will like him.

If it comes out that this was worse than we're hearing, then yes it may be an issue, but I have to assume this front office has extreme confidence that this won't become a big deal.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is this really that risky of a move? If more stuff comes out or the video is brutal, you cut him and move on. All you’ve essentially lost is Paulino.

This isn’t going to destroy the clubhouse. That’s a non issue.

Moderate risk, high reward.

Nook likes this.
  4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have personally seen a lot of men railroaded on domestic violence charges. It doesnt take much to end up in cuffs. The suspension was long and I hope the court case clarifies what happened. I dont know much about Canadian law so I dont know if the facts will ever come out. What kind of time is he facing? I would assume the penalties are pretty bad up north

5. Malaya

Malaya Member

Altuve was consulted, but not the others.

My speculation is because Altuve is signed for the long-term. Most likely Verlander just finishes his contract and will sign elsewhere next. A tad expensive too.

The others too. Luhnow knows who's here long-term.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh I like that reserving judgment thing. Dude literally takes a 75 game suspension and doesn’t even try to appeal it but let’s not assume he’s guilty. We’ll let the courts decide.

OJ didn’t kill anyone either. Barry Bonds was never convicted of steroids and defended es himself. Berry must have been clean

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Giles could have fetched some lesser prospects as a buy low guy. He wasn't gonna help us, but he had a little trade value. We also gave up Hector Perez who is a 10-20 range prospect for us.

The potential upside for Osuna is massive relative to what we gave up, but we didn't get him for free.

BigM likes this.
  8. Malaya

Malaya Member

Nobody liked the Astros until we won last year. We're not a ''glamorous" team.

Fans start freaking out when we play bad, like on this current losing streak.

Luhnow's mandate is to keep building a winner or a contender. He knows his window is tiny--2 to 3 years--before the other teams catch up. Of all the FOs, you know they have vetted this well, algorithm and all. I love that they keep taking risks.

BigM likes this.
  9. Screaming Fist

It sounds like Osuna's attorney will be seeking a protection order ("peace bond" in their terminology) tomorrow in the hopes of avoiding a criminal trial.

https://www.oykhmancriminaldefence.com/faq/what-is-peace-bond

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jeff L. is getting no credit at all for in one flail swoop getting a guy who actually moves the needle for the pen and a trading partner who would take Giles as the headline acquisition.

Nook likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Shouldn’t be a problem. The majority of DV victims will do whatever they can to save their abusers.

Rice’s girlfriend married him and Vasquez’s gf married him too.

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. Screaming Fist

The fact that they are seeking a protective order to avoid criminal prosecution indicates how serious this matter is. For instance, if the victim were seeking a peace bond she would need to demonstrate to a court that she has "legitimate reason" to fear that Osuna will commit a violent offence against her, which is a greater showing than that demanded for a restraining order.

13. Screaming Fist

The decision will be the court's as to whether Osuna will be allowed to avoid a trial.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

In all honesty, I do have a sneaking suspicion that Luhnow assumed more people would focus on losing Giles, thus distracting from Osuna's personal history.

15. Malaya

Malaya Member

Can you post this on Twitter?

So many fans (and media types) castigating the Astros for the trade.

UTSA2step, awc713 and homewight like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Piss off Passan

[/QUOTE]

All bluster, Buster.

#318 jim1961, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  19. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

We very much needed to add bullpen arms. Saying this isn't needed tells me you haven't been watching many late inning games. I don't see it in this post, but most others the toxic drip of self-righteousness is pretty thick.

20. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Did Olney or Passan speak up at all when Chapman was traded? I suspect not.

IowaAstro and houstonstime like this.