1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade for Martin Maldonado

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 26, 2018.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think they simply valued the defense over the bat. As long as we are healthy when the playoffs start our offense is fine. With a historically good staff they went to get the gold glove catcher to complete it. Personally I love this deal

raining threes likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why would you think that?

3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

That does make sense, I can certainly get behind that line of thinking. But do you see Maldonado making an impact in the playoffs? Is he strictly insurance if McCann can't come back fully healthy? This could have just been the front office saying that they have no faith in Stassi to play in this season's playoffs, which I wouldn't necessarily disagree with.

4. OpportunityCost

If Maldonado can call a good game and keep the hitters off-balance, in addition to his strong arm, this will be a good trade.

5. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Pure speculation, I have no real basis for it. Do you think that Ramos would have cost a lot more?

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not sure how much more, but yes a player who has been significantly better over the last 3 seasons would cost more.

7. Senator

Senator Member

It is about value. There is nothing more valuable at C than pitch framing, stopping the run game and in general providing confidence to the pitchers and infield you have a guy who knows what he is doing, knows what he is calling. Ramos will give you an OK bat, but he will cost more to resign and doesn't provide the necessary defensive confidence. And if his bat falters next season like it did the last, you're kicking yourself. I see Maldonado as the better value given the Astros strengths and someone who can play for years to come at a doable price.

8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

For those who need some proof of what this guy can do. BTW all my Angel fam loved what he did behind the plate. They like the return too.

9. raining threes

This is why I'm underwhelmed by the trade.

But getting a GG catcher is an upgrade over Stassi.

I'm looking at Maldonado as McCann insurance.

Hopefully McCann will be fresh and ready to go in the playoff, since he hasn't been catching 100 games or so going into the playoffs. I really wanted Ramos though.

What's Maldonado's contract status?

#89 raining threes, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Coming off of a pretty serious injury? A leg injury for a catcher adds a lot uncertainty. Also, most of the league passed on Ramos this offseason (again due to the uncertainty of how he would return from an injury). Maybe you'd have to thrown in another lottery ticket arm, but I don't think Ramos would cost you terribly more.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Maldonado will be a free agent. His pitch framing has not been good this year but has been exceptional in the past. Hopefully he has renewed focus going an elite team. His power is positive, just really doesn’t hit well enough.

12. raining threes

This,

I noticed CFM dressing down Stassi last night

Maldonado will help in this regard.

13. raining threes

I did notice that he hits LHP well.

If McCann comes back healthy this would make for a great platoon situation.

Since I wanted a vet catcher going into the playoffs because nobody knows if McCann is going to be healthy, I think this is a good, not great trade. GG catchers that hit .284 against LHP dont fall off of trees.

Nook, HTown2017Champs and IowaAstro like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

And now we have 2 of them with those qualities! An embarrassment of riches!

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Stassi is in a horrible slump and his numbers looked much better earlier.

16. raining threes

Agreed, I know very little about Sandoval except he's had a good year. It appears to me he has avg stuff. Has Jake avg .284 against LHP?

17. raining threes

I want a vet like Maldonado behind the plate in the playoffs if McCann isn't healthy. Have you seen Verlander/McCullers/Morton dressing Stassi down lately.

I will bet you from this point forward McCullers starts pitching better with Maldonado behind the plate.

18. HTown2017Champs

FWIW, mot of McCullers's recent starts have been caught by Federowicz. So although Stassi had nothing to do with his actual performance, maybe McCullers told Hinch he was not comfortable with Stassi catching him? And until Stassi caught Cole's previous start in Colorado, it was usually Stassi catching Verlander, Keuchel, and Morton, and Federowicz catching McCullers and Cole.

19. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure as hell glad I don't have to watch Fedo try to catch him anymore.

All caveats apply, but McCullers ERA and starts by catcher: McCann 2.93 (12), Fedo 5.60 (3), Stassi 6.32 (5)

20. raining threes

Very telling

HTown2017Champs likes this.