1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade for Martin Maldonado

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Except Maldonado, despite his reputation/play, by all metrics I've seen other than CS%, has not been particularly good this year. But I trust Luhnow.

I think this move says more about McCann's availability and FedEx's ability than Maldonado.

Catching stats to peruse at your leisure: https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php?cid=1899871

#21 Buck Turgidson, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

From a bleacher report article:

Ranked 15th best catcher before the season started. Brian McCan ranked 20th, Gattis ranked 30th. I forget who it was but someone that was catching McCullers kept missing the ball. Also, I have noticed a lot of passed balls from Stassi. Will be much better then Fedo.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...wer-rankings-2018-brs-top-30-catchers#slide16

1. Age: 31

2017 Offensive: 74 OPS+, .221/.276/.368, 34 XBH (14 HR), 38 RBI, 43 R

2017 Defensive: 39% CS (29/75), 22 DRS, 12.8 DEF, 9.3 Framing RAA

WAR: 1.7

Player Outlook

Martin Maldonado was one of the league's best backup catchers during his time with the Milwaukee Brewers, averaging 219 plate appearances and 0.6 WAR during the five-year span from 2012 to 2016.

The Los Angeles Angels saw enough to give him a chance at a starting role when they acquired him in a trade last December, and he rewarded them by winning AL Gold Glove honors.

As an elite pitch-framer and stellar all-around defender, anything he contributes at the plate is a bonus.

His career-high 471 plate appearances led to personal bests in doubles (19), home runs (14), RBI (38) and runs scored (43), though his .276 on-base percentage and 3.2 percent walk rate left a lot to be desired.

The Angels' starting staff is finally healthy, and it will be up to Maldonado to get the most out of them.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Sandoval went to high school 20 minutes from Angel Stadium, so this is probably pretty cool for him.

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Underrated aspect of this is we should be able to decide if we want to sign the guy in the offseason. If we sign him to a deal to be catcher depth at a reasonable contract then this trade is definitely a win.

Also, the coaching staff/front office may see something that Maldonado can improve either on offense or defense.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He also committed to USC before Astros snagged him. He would’ve had immediate impact on team. Me and my hombres were pumped then Astros intervened.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Buck Turgidson

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If McCann comes back healthy before the pre-season, will Maldonado be the third catcher? I think there is a strong chance that McCann and Maldonado get the lion's share in the post season if Stassi doesn't get his offense going again. As it stands right now they are all pretty much are the same offensively.

The FO doesn't seem as concerned with having no holes in the offense as the fans. I would sure like one more offensive weapon which is why I was so much in favor of Realmuto and killing two birds with one stone, but that's not going to happen now. I sure hope that Gonzalez, Reddick, and or Tucker surge in the playoffs. I really think Gonzalez' year was an aberration and now we are seeing what he really is. We certainly got better with the addition of Cole, but let's not underestimate how much the Yankees, Red Sox and La have improved since last year. I love the fact that our FO wants us to be competitive for the next decade, but still think the opportunity is now to win 2 World Series in a row and its a mistake to count on Gonzalez, Reddick, and/or Tucker to surge and lengthen our line up. We need another veteran bat!

Rox Addict and everyday eddie like this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just curious here...

Could this deal be a precursor for a deal with another catcher that would include Stassi? I’m sure unlikely, but thought I’d throw it out there.

10. conquistador#11

he is no Trout but I like it, bill.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Didnt we draft Sandoval, he rejected our offer, went to college, we drafted him again the next year and he signed? Or was he drafted and given overslot money by us?

12. Buck Turgidson

11th round overslot out of HS. I believe we signed him away from a UCLA or USC commitment.

13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Fans: Losenow loves his prospects too damn much, go do something!!!

...Luhnow make a trade...

Fans: Damnit, HUGE overpay, this prospect is going to be amazing, just you watch. Terrible trade, dumb, dumb, dumb! And we are all nuthuggers.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't I suppose.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

doubtful since we already DFA'd Fedo

16. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

No idea who Sandoval is, but we need the help at C position. So ....profit?

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Nice summary of the trade thread for sure

Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Really hope that's not just a case of saying what he's supposed to say re: McCann

I knew Stassi had been struggling at the plate, but now just how badly: his last 30 games (99 PA) he's slashing .186 .293 .302 .595. Of course, that's what we should pretty much expect from Maldonado (.217 .292 .354 .646 since '16, 1014 PA)

#38 Buck Turgidson, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    raining threes and Plowman like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I think this moves also tells us what we already know, that the Astros really really value their own prospects. The Astros didn't go after Realmuto or the other 3-4 catchers and instead went after a lower cost, soon to be free agent catcher.

The Astros are really, really conservative when it comes to their own prospects. It is a double edged sword in some respects but Luhnow knows how to run and build a baseball team and he gets the benefit of the doubt.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member