1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros to pursue Edwin Encarnacion

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It won't, but it does when you combine it with trades. We had a great surplus, but is diminishing.

2. vince

vince Member

i dont think the Astros are balking at signing Encarnacion for the 1st round pick. But i bet its a consideration. A first round pick is a valuable addition of talent, which have balance sheet implications.

But in the end, Beltran signs for 1 year 15 million. Its widely assumed Encarnacion was wanting an annual contract in the neighborhood of 25 million a year.

Encarnacion limits your future flexibility if he signs a 4 year 100 million contract. Luhnow is a stats guy and he needs to trust the data. Which he does! And the data says Correa, Bregman, Gurriel should all improve significantly.

The Astros are well aware their resources might need to be focused on pitching, if the current rotation falters. So why devote 100 million to what already looks like a top 3 offense in the American League?

There is such a thing as scarcity of resources. Oppotunities carry certain costs, which limit future moves.

3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I see your point, but from the most recent reports, it is looking like it will cost considerably less than the 4/$100M you threw out there to sign EE. Reports have been as low as 3/$60, but I think he'll end up getting at least, if not a tad more than the Blue Jays offer of 4/$80M early this offseason. An AAV of "only" $20M in this market is a no-brainer for a player of EE's caliber. He absolutely would be a stabilizing force in the heart of our lineup. Even at 4/$80M, that really shouldn't prevent us from keeping our core together, when the time comes for that.

Purely speculation on my part here, is that we are probably comfortable with the length and dollar figures of the deal, but maybe his camp is insisting on a 1 year opt-out clause. Since we are losing our 1st round pick, that would make no sense for us to agree to that. You could justify the loss of the pick if you know you are getting a legit clean-up for the next 3-4 years, at a relative bargain. But to give up all of that value for 1 year of EE doesn't make sense, and as much as I would love seeing him and his parrot round 1st in an Astros' uniform as fan, even I can't justify the loss of value there. So my guess is that he has an offer from us in hand in the 4/$80M range, but his camp is giving other teams the opportunity to beat it, or include a 1 year opt-out clause.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Grydian

Grydian Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

i'm disgusted.

expecting to hear that astros made offer for like 17/per but refused to come to 20.

this feels like peyton manning all over again.

#467 cardpire, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well that's anticlimactic......

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Weak pursuit.

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Are you ****ing kidding me!? 3/60! Wth? My only hope is they expect next years free agent class to be better and they are just punting here.

11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'm ok with not signing him, but would've loved to have him. We're going to have to pay some serious contracts when his is in the final years so for a guy his age, I can live with not signing him.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Better than hearing Astros offered 23 a year and he signed with Rangers for 20....

13. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Disappointed, but at least the Rangers didn't get him.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dumb, Crane needs to open up his checkbook one of these days. At least Drayton spent money even though he was impatient.

15. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Very disappointed. Seems like the deal was reasonable in years and $.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

i'd rather the rangers got him than the team who just needed a little more offense to win the world series

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rather have a weaker division that will allow Astros to rest Keuchel and McCullers as needed to remain healthy. Astros have plenty of ammo in minors to add at deadline.

18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I don't understand any disappointment. The FA classes the next couple of years are really good. Not gonna sweat losing out on overpaying for an aging 1B. As far as Crane opening up his pocket books, he just signed Beltran and Reddick. Opening up your pocket books can mean making smart deals and not overpaying FA's. I prefer that he spends big money on a younger player. Maybe a pitcher. You gotta choose when to break open the pocket books since it's such a big investment.

awc713 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Yawn. Glad this Dmo saga is over.

RasaqBoi and texans1095 like this.
  20. astros123

astros123 Member

Whats this overpaying for a aging stat. At 20 million for 3 seasons its not overpaying at all. Some of you guys are delusional

RasaqBoi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.