1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros to call up Domingo Santana plus others

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Santana can't be much worse than what they have placed out in the OF besides Spring and Fowler even while adjusting. He does have potential to really do a lot more for the team.

Edited in attempt to stay on topic.

#21 Joe Joe, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Pretty sure no one was arguing that Castro, Carter, and Guzman needed more time.

Villar, on the other hand, has seen his defense improve tremendously since last season and he still has some improvements to make. As for his lack of contact at the plate, no clue if the majors will help him there and he could just need some good AAA at bats to build confidence. Keep in mind that he is 23 years old as well. Very young.

3. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Agreed. Villar at this point either needs a hug, or confidence booster in AAA... I guess 1st option was ruled out.

Domingoooooo!

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

Some players struggles may have nothing to do with adjusting to big league life... and in the case of Carter and Guzman, maybe they're just not all that good (and likely would not be on the big league roster on teams with more overall big league depth/talent). Even with the expected regression predicted by many, Castro has sucked this year... but unless you have any better everyday catcher options, he has to play.

I know Luhnow spoke early on about not liking to send players back and forth between AAA and the big leagues, but sometimes its necessary for guys to be demoted once or even twice before things start to click.

As far as the difference between AAA and the big leagues, I stand by that statement... its a HUGE jump, for reasons other than just the competition level as I just mentioned. Maybe I should edit it to say the difference between AAA and college/rookie/lowA ball (vs. HS ball), but still... at this point when you're talking about guys in the young 20's, its going to be a huge adjustment no matter what they're doing at AAA.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

.304/.383/.502, 13 HR, 52 RBI in 84 games. The 99 strikeouts in 360 plate appearances is rather unsightly (but the strikeouts have always been there with him), but the 40 walks (11% BB rate) is workable.

Santana Claus is comin' to town!

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Atlanta 2.0

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is awesome, not sure what I'm more excited about, Santana being here, or Williams being gone

While there is a big jump from AAA to the majors, it is laughable to think that is bigger than the jump from high school to AAA

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Guys are we sure that we don't want to provide Jerome Williams with a few more chances?

10. Nook

Nook Member

Jerome isn't available anymore... there are reports he will be named Secretary of State by President Obama.

11. bigtexxx

actually a great analogy, but we'll save that for the "other forum"

;)

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Great news!

Wonder when they will be available in the line up? Tonight isn't too soon :grin:

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Come on down to MMP tonight... the third &quot;S&quot; has arrived and will be playing LF!</p>&mdash; Jeff Luhnow (@jluhnow) <a href="https://twitter.com/jluhnow/statuses/484046753386098688">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Mad rep Luhnow!

15. Pete the Cheat

Springeltana?

1 person likes this.
  16. bigtexxx

Springltingo

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

Killer S's?

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've been an advocate for "Kick S" for a while.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

eSSSes?

After all, our GM is from Mexico.

20. Pete the Cheat

I think I had to buy ointment for that once