1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros starting CF in 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Feb 17, 2023.

?

Who is the Astros starting CF in 2024?

1. Chas McCormick

48 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. Jake Meyers

15 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. Pedro Leon

12 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Drew Gilbert

37 vote(s)
    31.1%
  5. Colin Barber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jacob Melton

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

Everything Everywhere all at once CF. Cedeno.

2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

This is my guess.

He is just a baseball player.... in the same sense that Alex Bregman is, he isn't tall and he isn't an 80/80 with his legs, but he has a really quick bat and he finds a way.

He was primarily a pitcher until two years ago......... he didn't go top 10 because of his height and average body...... just like Alex Bregman, but he was the best player in college...... he is smart, strong work ethic, loves pressure and finds a way.

Some people around baseball and some fans sleep on the work ethic a lot of the younger Astros have........ between Pena and Javier and now Gilbert, the Astros younger guys fit in well with the veterans like Altuve, Abreu, Bregman and Maldonado.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Love this.

I have heard much of this regarding Barber also. Can you give me any confirmation or insights to him?

My understanding is that he may be more suitable for LF due to a fringy arm.

If things go right, I could see a starting OF of Barber- Gilbert- Leon by 2026.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Colin Barber has a short, compact swing from the left side. He makes solid contact but so far doesn't generate the kind of exit velocity that most scouts want consistently. He does however show flashes, I remember he had one homer with an EV last year of over 110 MPH, which is pretty damn elite.

He is known as a hard worker with more natural aptitude as a hitter and the strike zone than most.

Defensively I think he will end up a corner outfielder because he has had a lot of shoulder issues and he isn't as good as Gilbert or Leon.

He can still add some more bulk and muscle......... really at this point he needs to stay healthy more than anything else..... he could be a Josh Reddick type player, and more if he really gains strength.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There are much worse things than being a "Josh Reddick type of player"

24.7 career bWAR Over 1150 career hits and just shy of 400 career extra base hits and a gold glove.

As a fan, if you told me ANY prospect would have kind of career I would be happy.

raining threes likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I finally see what I've been waiting for.

Jake Meyers throwing data on baseball savant.

2021- avg 84.9mph, max 89.5 = 60th percentile
    2022- avg 84.1mph, max 89.1= 42nd percentile
    2023- avg 88.2mph, max 97.6= 80th percentile.

Also if you take away the 2 terrible games he had to start the season. . .

( I know you can't, but what have you done for me lately?)

.290avg, .343 / .435 = .778 OPS

26.9% k rate is still bad. But 2021 was 30.7 and 2022 was 33.8

If he keeps this up the Astros will have a very good problem.

Justin Thomas and raining threes like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess Bregman did go top 10 because he was a SS?

I agree, he seems like the quintessential, college-ready, high floor player that Bregman was… but nobody could have expected Bregman’s ceiling being as high as it eventually went, even with being the #2 pick. Hope they have something similar.

Nook likes this.
  8. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I almost feel a big part of it was Bregman coming into the draft measured at the most fraudulent 6'0" this side of the NBA, Gilbert at 5'9" probably scared off enough teams to have him fall to us, despite the fact that 5'9" isn't even that short for a CF.

Speaking of Drew, .980 OPS and only a 18 percent K% in Ashville, He should end the season in AAA and very well could make the roster outright next spring training.

I expect the playoff Taxi Squad treatment Pena and Brown got.

If Gilbert and Clifford (.982 OPS in A-) turn into stars, you have to tip your hat to Click for organizing one of if not the best Astros draft in years. Melton and Taylor look decent so far as well.

raining threes likes this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Looking back, I think the spot is now Gilbert's to lose.

I think Meyers has done enough to give himself some trade value but not enough to earn a starting job. And he isn't versatile enough to be a 4th OF.

He is clearly better than last year, but too prone to slumps. He may be a guy who needs regular playing time to have MLB average production but not good enough to play everyday.

I don't think he is on the 2024 Astros, but trading him during this season may cause an issue at CF (backup to Chas) as Dubon is only other current player capable of playing that position and he is a big step back from he and Chas defensively.

I still think Chas as a 4th OF instead of starting CF could elevate the overall OF to exceptional depending on who the starting 3 are.

Because of this I am becoming increasingly convinced that Gilbert replaces Meyers on the the 2024 roster and starts CF opening day.

raining threes and BlindHog like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just speculating about 2024.

Would you Trade Trout for McCullers and $49M cash (7 years left on his contract)? Brings his tax cost to $30M/Yr. and frees up an additional $17M.
    /yr.

How about Tucker for Soto since both are FAs after 2024?

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

My interest in Trout with 7 years left on his contract is far far less than zero. The Astros have far too much outfield talent in the minors to trade away anything for Soto. The smart move would be to trade Tucker and McCullers for premium low level prospects and replace both from within.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Tucker is a FA after 2025.

13. Yordan The Great

I think the caveat in that poll should be "If Dusty is still the manager?".

14. Yordan The Great

Fix the GD double post problem.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thought it was time to bring this one back.

It looks like Meyers and Chaa will be the 2 CF on the opening day roster with Meyers getting as much playing time as his performance affords him.

Chas backs him up and plays if he doesn't secure the job.

If he is especially bad, I could see Corona being brought up by midseason with the idea that itvisca full on old fashioned position battle including Melton in 2025.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Trout.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Chas will be an everyday player this season. Whether he plays CF or LF will be based on how often Alvarez wants to play in the field and Meyers being a serviceable hitter. If he can keep his OPS above 700, he should play over 100 games.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Chas has earned the starting CF job. No way that
    an .850 ops guy backs up Meyers. Chas will play everyday. Man the ongoing disrespect for Chas is simply insane.

19. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Dude eats too much banana pudding. Gotta kick that addiction if he wants respect from me

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Brown has stated that Chas will be an everyday player but is expected to play more LF than CF.

No Worries likes this.