1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros single game tickets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DanHiggsBeard, Feb 3, 2004.

1. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

first person who complains about this being in the wrong forum gets a punch in the nose. This forum gets way more taffic, so back off.

Anyway, they went on pre-sale this morning, and I just scored tickets to the entire opening series. That place is going to be so electric on opening night when Clemens takes the mound.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

2. deepellumrocket

Uhh, Jimy hasn't named an opening day starter yet.

3. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

You know damn well it will be Clemens, and Jimy won't have much of a say in the matter.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

really??

if i were drayton, i'd start oswalt on opening day..you're going to sell that game out, anyway.

then game 2 i'd pitch lefty...for strategy's sake...and because there will be a clamor to see him pitch...

and then.with anticipation built...pitch the Rocket in game 3. all three sell outs in the first three game series of the year.

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

what is the deal with all - star tickets..... are those even going to go on sale to general public or is it done like superbowl?

6. MadMax

season ticket holders have first priority...i'm sure they'll do the wristband lottery after that.

7. deepellumrocket

I'm not so sure about that. If it's left up the Drayton, it might make better business sense to not start Roger on opening day. The Astros are already guaranteed a sellout for opening day, regardless of who pitches. Uncle Drayton might be able to sneak in a second sellout if Roger pitches one of the other games.

And from a purely baselball point of view, Oswalt is still the most deserving opening day starter for this team.

8. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

The first 3 games against the Giants would sell out even if Pettitte or Clemens weren't on the team, and Clemens starting game still preserves the R-L-R strategy.

Drayton can't possibly pass up the PR of Clemens starting on opening day. It just won't happen.

9. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Maybe you guys forgot the opening series is against the Giants, and that Minute Maid usually sells out for Giants, Cubs, and Braves series regardless of who's on the Astros.

10. deepellumrocket

D'oh! Mad Max beat me to it! No fair, I was setting him Dan up for my point. :(

11. MadMax

really?? did Minute Maid sell out for all 3 giants' games last year?

i know for a fact that all 3 games in the home opener weren't sellouts last year.

i'd go ahead and set the rotation...put lefty in between..make oswalt the #1 guy (which he is)...and then pitch Roger ...then Wade....then Tim. great freaking rotation, by the way!

12. deepellumrocket

The Giants sell out MMP when Barry is chasing home run records. Besides that, I don't recall the Giants being nearly the draw that the Cubs and Braves are. There's no real rivalry there.

13. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I went to every Giants game last season, and the place was packed, as it was the year beofe that, and the year before that.

I'm not arguing that Oswalt doesn't deserve to be the #1 starter or that he shouldn't be. I just know that a sports owner won't pass up the PR bonanza of a hometown hero starting on opening day.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What's the presell code?

15. Major

Major Member

I went to every Giants game last season, and the place was packed, as it was the year beofe that, and the year before that.

Last year, the first 3 games of the season included a sell out on opening day, and less than 50% of capacity the following two days.

None of the 3 San Fran games, which happened to be in the last week of the season in the midst of an awesome pennant race, sold out.

In 2002, the same occurred during the opening series with a sellout followed by under 50% capacity. Again, none of the San Fran games (this time in late April) sold out.

16. Major

Major Member

No way Clemens starts opening day this year. It will most likely be Oswalt, Pettite, Clemens, Miller, ???. That maximizes the benefits all the way around. The best opening day starter, followed by Pettite's first Astros start, followed by Clemens' first Astros start, followed by Miller pitching in his favorite park to pitch in (Milwaukee). 3 sellouts, virtually guaranteed.

17. MadMax

did you see that jimy already named Redding as the 5th starter heading into training camp?

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Wrong forum.

Since when does traffic determine where a thread is to go?

19. deepellumrocket

Burn.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dan... presell code?