1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign Woody Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Nov 24, 2006.

1. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

i have been a huge fran hater but if he can win at texas then i am all for him staying as long as he wants

2. wiredog

wiredog Member

let's just hope he doesn't turn out ike doug drabek.

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

There is simply no evidence that the Astros have written off Pettitte, or Clemens. If the Astros had a healthy Backe, or another proven starter you could say they that, but the starting rotation is still too thin. It's not like Purpura and Drayton don't understand how much they need to resign at least one of the two players.

4. MustangPride73

terrible comparison

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

They both had similar facial hair. Doesn't that mean they're pretty much the same pitcher?

Also, Drabek wasn't all that bad here--at least in the beginning (going purely off memory for that). I felt like Swindell was the bigger disappointment.

6. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

On my t-shirt of the Houston Post's sports front page the day Hakeem won his MVP award, there's a little blurb about Drabek shutting out the Braves for his seventh win in a row. It's nice.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Drabek

'93 9 18 3.79
    '94 12 6 2.84
    '95 10 9 4.77
    '96 7 9 4.57

Swindell

'93 12 13 4.16
    '94 8 9 4.37
    '95 10 9 4.47
    '96 0 3 7.83*

*The Astros released him on June 3rd, 1996.

Drabek signed for $18.575 million, while Swindell was signed for $16.4 million.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I love this move...I wanted him a couple of years ago..I'm glad he's finally here...

9. superden

superden Contributing Member

Would I be too greedy in saying that we should make a move on Zito or Schmidt? We still need a number 2 starter. If Pettitte and/or Clemens (I believe in Clemens comes back, Pettitte def is) come back, we would have a solid rotation top to bottom! I am being too greedy huh?

10. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Theres nothing wrong with wishful thinking.

That being said I think convincing Pettitte is the #1 priority right now, getting Williams helped the rotation. Right now I'm sure the Astros are looking at lower-tier pitchers like Ted Lilly, Randy Wolf, Gil Meche, Adam Eaton,etc.

With the market being where its at I definitely think the Astros are done as far as significant signings of big name free agents, and from what I hear Schmidt wants to stay on the west coast (SF or Seattle) and Zito (and Boras) has his heart set the Mets. Thats not to say the Astros haven't inquired I just think their interest in those two isn't that great because of the salary implications.

As long as were being wishful (greedy, call it what you'd like) I'd like to see the Astros trade for Dontrelle Willis. Do we have enough to offer the Marlins? Don't know, but it never hurts to call and find out.

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Especially, at Minute Maid park.
    I think as visiting pitcher he has the most wins in our park. Hope he keeps winning in our park.