1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign Valverde to 1-year, $8 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jet Blast, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Dear Mr. Meh, You know Uncle Drayton isn't going to sign a reliever of a high caliber if Valverde is traded. My record is perfect. But thank you for asking.

The Management

2. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

If you are looking for potential closers in the high minors, then Bud Norris would fit the bill. They'll probably keep testing him as a starter, but if he can't do that, then he has the skill set to be a potential lights-out reliever. If he goes the reliever route, his ETA might even be sometime this year.

But, then again, good relievers are a dime a dozen, and it is a major mistake for a team out of contention to overpay for that 50 innings a year. Particularly when the majority of high leverage late innings happen in the 6, 7, 8, rather than the 9th. If you are team like the Astros and, if, things don't go well next year, you probably don't want to put 1/7th of your entire payroll into a 30-something closer. Even if he is very good.

3. msn

msn Member

Fixed that for ya. I guess trades don't count.

Dear Management,

Perfection freaking sucks. But thanks for finally getting rid of Purpura.

Signed,
    Your P.O.S. farm system

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

We are not signing anyone else of big $$$. There. Made it simple. Not talking about the past. The future.

P.O.S Management

"I asked Wade if McLane had put Ben Sheets under his tree and he chuckled. It's clear the Astros don't plan on making any major moves before spring training begins Feb. 14. "

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedayastros/2008/12/catching_up_with_wade_and_mcla.html

5. msn

msn Member

Precedent is never irrelevant. Valverde made less than Lidge; a trade of Valverde frees up room for the same type of deal. I never said the Astros were going to do it, nor did I endorse it or call for it, only that it seemed reasonable and wouldn't bother me if they did. Like the others, I'd love to see a deadline trade.

Well, admitting it is the first step, after all.

6. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I TAKE IT ALLLLLLLLLLLLL BACK. RUSS ORTIZ JUST SIGNED, BABY!!!!!!!

HOUSTON -- The Astros added another candidate to their starting-rotation pool when they signed veteran right-hander Russ Ortiz to a Minor League contract and invited him to Major League Spring Training on Tuesday.

Ortiz, 34, last pitched in 2007 for the Giants. He missed all of '08 while recovering from surgery to repair a torn flexor tendon in his right arm.

"Jack Lind, one of our pro scouts, saw Russ work out in September and was pleased with what he saw," general manager Ed Wade said. "By all accounts, Russ has rebounded well from Tommy John surgery, and we have no doubt that a healthy Russ Ortiz should be able to come to camp and be a serious contender for a spot in the big league rotation. He'll have every opportunity in Spring Training to win a job."

Ortiz has a career record of 110-82 with a 4.42 ERA over 282 games. He's played for the Giants (1998-2002, '07), Braves ('03-'04), Diamondbacks ('05-'06) and Orioles ('06).

An All-Star with Atlanta, Ortiz led the National League with 21 wins in 2003.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=3742514&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

7. msn

msn Member

*splash*

(always wanted to do that)

Lessee:

RoyO
    Hampton
    Ortiz
    Wandy
    Moeller

Hell, let's go sign Jason Schmidt and Carl Pavano! We can have RoyO and the Geriatric 4!

8. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I can see the Astros promoting that they have three former 20-game winners on the staff for '09. GET YO TICKETS NOW!!!!

9. msn

msn Member

They can sign Mike Maroth and have three former 20-game winners, a former 20-game loser, and some other loser.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The Indians signed Pavano to a 1-year deal a week ago: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3813706

Starting with the trade of CC last season, the Indians have done a pretty good job filling in holes:

-added prospects Matt LaPorta and Michael Brantley
    -filled the hole at 3rd since moving Casey Blake with Mark DeRosa
    -filled their closer need with Kerry Wood
    -added depth to their rotation with a low-risk move for Pavano

Indians = smart management

The Tribe finished at .500 even after moving CC, with Carmona having a down year after his near Cy Young performance the previous season and with Hafner out most of the season. By the end of 2009, the Indians could look like this:

Brantley - LF
    Peralta - SS
    Sizemore - CF
    Martinez - C
    Hafner - DH
    LaPorta - RF
    DeRosa - 3B
    Garko/Aubrey - 1B
    Cabrera - 2B

They could also put Choo in LF, Brantley in right and LaPorta at 1B. If Peralta struggles, they may put DeRosa, Choo or Aubrey in the 2 spot and bump Peralta down in the order. That would give them solid options in Garko and Aubrey off the bench. They also have good young outfielders in Francisco and Gutierrez as well as Shoppach as a capable backup C, not to mention some of the hitting and pitching talent in their farm system.

Rotation:
    Carmona
    Lee
    Westbrook
    Pavano
    Laffey/Sowers

Relief:
    Perez/Betancourt
    Lewis
    Wood

Watch out for the Indians in 2009. They could give the Twins and White Sox a run for their money.

#30 BrooksBall, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

hahahahaha Russ Ortiz!! Amazing.

I mean, fine, injury or whatever... but the guy was NOT good in '05, '06, OR '07.. and in '05 and part of '06, he played his home games at Arizona..

I'd like to say either he or Hampton will pan out.. but really, I think Ortiz is a lost cause. Here's to hoping for a Moehler-esque season out of him......

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wouldn't we at least get a pick for him? I don't see him being back next year, unless of course we manage to contend for a playoff spot yet again.