1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign Duckworth to 1 yr deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Jan 17, 2005.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Calling the Astros "one of the most unsuccessful franchises in pro sports" makes you an idiot on this board. I don't need to justify that.

Now, if you deal with players without considering their potential, you're not thinking in terms of the future enough. Duckworth still has a chance to be what he was.

The Astros should have gotten rid of Darryl Kile when he was a so-so middle relief guy and spot-starter, huh? That 20 game thing that came later justified the keep. Random reference, but there are numerous guys who didn't look great but came out better than people thought. Talent exists...gotta go for it if it's not too expensive

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree with you. There was some guy back in the 90's that was a lefty and threw 100 mph but just wasn't going to cut it as a major league starter. I think his name was Billy Wagner. I wonder what happened to him.

It is possible that Duckworth and/or Redding need to be converted to full time relievers. Maybe, hopefully, they will be succesful out of the pen. They both clearly are not going to make it as starters, at least not with the Astros.

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Not sure about Duckworth, but Redding throws heat. I would think he would make a quality reliever.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What an odd choice. Wags was an excellent minor league starter. He never threw a pitch as a starter in the majors. The Stros had a big need in relief, and he seized the closer's role quickly. I don't know what makes you say he wouldn't cut it as a starter; nobody was saying that then and his record didn't reflect that.

There were plenty of rags-to-riches stories to choose from, but Wagner wasn't one of them. And Duckworth - he was used mostly in relief by the Stros last season, posting the worst ERA of his career. In fact, somehow he's gotten worse every season he was in the big leagues. Dude's almost 29, not exactly a prospect. Redding on the other hand I'm willing to give a chance, he's 2 years younger and had a good 2003. Maybe he can recover his command.

5. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Its so frustrating to see his stuff.....straight filthy....and then watch him get hit b/c he can't keep his head in the game....imho, he's got the best "stuff" on the staff......one of the reasons why the astros are keepin him and hopin he puts everything together.