1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign Duckworth to 1 yr deal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Jan 17, 2005.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=astrosduckworth&prov=st&type=lgns

Astros sign RHP Duckworth to one-year deal

January 17, 2005
    HOUSTON (Ticker) - The Houston Astros avoided salary arbitration with Brandon Duckworth on Monday, signing the righthander to a one-year contract worth $500,000.

Acquired last offseason from Philadelphia in a deal for closer Billy Wagner, Duckworth endured a rough first season in Houston, going 1-2 with a 6.86 ERA in 19 games, including six starts.

On a team with a series of questions surrounding its starters, Duckworth is expected to compete for a spot in the rotation during spring training.

Duckworth, 29, owns a career record of 16-20 with a 5.09 ERA in 84 games, including 64 starts.

Half a million? What exactly has he done to earn anything above the minimum (unless of course, this is the minimum)?

splash

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

He's been in the league a couple of years.

3. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I guess we finally figured out what a Duck is Worth

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

So we are spending half a million dollars for this? Not sure why they offered him arbitration in the first place.

5. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Good grief!

Please trade him!

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Guys, please. What is minimum, 375k? We're paying just barely over that. Duckworth is worth it purely for the potential of some coach helping him rediscovery the form he has shown in flashes (mostly in Philly). I'd rather have him than some random bullpen pickup I've never heard of that ends up being mediocre at best...i.e. David Weathers or someone. Esp. with the rotation in flux waiting on Rocket

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

We overpaid by $125,000.

9. leroy

Actually, they overpaid by about $500,000.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

! ! !

11. lalala902102001

What?!

Good lord. I refuse to believe that there aren't better options than Brandon Duckworth out there.

12. kaleidosky

Maybe somewhat better options for the same price. But not with better potential. At this point, with our rotation in question...I'd surely like to take the chance that duckworth can rediscover something and help the rotation out, rather than signing and surefire 3.98 ERA bullpen man.

13. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I want Dotel back. :(

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't know what is worse...the fact that we overpaid this lame duck or that he has his own thread with 12 replies. Until he proves otherwise, he is a lamer.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think the fact that people are b****ing about someone making $125k over the minimum is the worst.

I sometimes wonder what some people would do if they didn't have the Astros to b**** about.

16. leroy

b**** about the Rockets, Texans, Comets, Aeros, that women's professional football team that played in Katy.

17. kaleidosky

Exactly. Maybe everyone is still feeling the money-issue from Beltran and thinking we need to be conscious about spending $5k extra here and $20k extra there now. This is a normal deal for a guy w/his experience unelss coming off a horrific injury

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I just wanted to use his name in a derogatory way...i.e. lame duck or Duckworthless . :)

In baseball terms, this isn't a lot of money and looking over his prior stats(mainly when he was not with the Astros), he did have a few moments of good pitching. I think it is a stretch to say he is going to compete for a starting spot at this point but...who knows?

I still don't think he deserves a thread or our time. But, since we always need to b**** about something around here, why not? If nobody b****ed around here, then this place would not be nearly as fun.

I think we are hurting for some real news...like what Clemens is going to do. I guess were waiting for around Feb. 5 for that news.

19. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Good one.

20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Resigning a guy who was pure crap last season just shows again why the Astros are one of the most unsuccesful franchises in pro sports.

I thought if a player played horribly, they team would just let him go.