1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros sign Carlos Peña

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 17, 2012.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Storey making the club out of ST is now only 50-50.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I appreciate the insight. I'll admit my response was a bit of a knee-jerk.

I said Pedro Feliz because it was money thrown at a veteran that just seemed nonsensical given where the franchise was. Maybe it makes more sense now than I'm giving it credit for...or than I gave it credit for originally.

3. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

4. Major

Major Member

Its a 1-yr deal - I don't think his age really matters?

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No I'm not. The guy had an OPS less than .700 last season at 1B (behind former Astros Carlos Lee). That is awful. Those 3 hits are hard to come buy since he hasn't hit .230 for 4-consecutive seasons.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I'd have to disagree, at the point we are in rebuilding a guy like Pena might be someone that the Luhnow and the baseball people feel could be a good influence on the younger players

7. The Beard

I completely agree with this. Pena's .330 on base last year would have been ten points behind Altuve who led the team. He strikes out a lot, but many of those come at the end of very good at bats. He was 11th in MLB last year in pitches per at bat. This team needs someone with a little patience at the plate who can make a pitcher work.

This isn't a great signing that is going to make a significant impact on getting this team back on track, but it is a guy who could have a positive influence on the lineup, and the money (by baseball terms) is not really significant

8. The Beard

The 100 walks are hard to come by also. The Stros are one of the most impatient teams in the league at the plate, they need a guy in the lineup who can work a pitcher a little bit, Pena is one of the better hitters in the game in that aspect. Plus it's a one year deal for low money and not blocking anyone. Worst case is Crane and the boys are out 2.9 mill, not sure why that is a problem

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I would buy that but a lot of these younger players on the roster just won't be here in two years. They're not very talented. If Singleton and Springer make the roster then obviously a different story.

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Please don't insult Delfino like that.

11. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I don't get the signing at all. All it does is take up a roster space they could us to develop someone with higher upside that could help us in the future aka Singleton. And they would of used the 3 mill for the signing bonus.

12. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

No reason to rush Singleton. If management feels Singleton is ready this won't impact his playing time.

So unless you're concerned about ABs for Brett Wallace, Brandon Laird, Nate Freiman, and maybe a few of the other DH candidates like JD Martinez.. This move doesn't really have a downside. (not much upside either I'll admit)

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is a spot on the 40-man roster and 25-man roster that I would rather have back.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hey guys, I think the Giants are dumping Aubrey Huff. Better jump on him quick! Nice complementary piece. :D