1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros show interest in Hunter, Rowand

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Oct 30, 2007.

1. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Guess Cameron is out now! :eek:

KFFL News of Note

Cameron Tests Positive for Banned Stimulant
    MLB.com reports San Diego Padres OF Mike Cameron has been suspended 25 games after testing positive for a banned stimulant in violation of Major League Baseball's joint drug prevention and treatment program. Cameron is eligible to file for free agency this offseason.

2. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

Pass on Hunter if he already declined a 3 yr $42 million extension.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'm a big fan of Rowand. Based on the price, I'd take him over Hunter... well, that's assuming Rowand isn't gonna get an inflated deal based on free agency in general or his most recent season. I mean a good deal for performance, yeah...but nothing like what Hunter wants I hope.

4. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

As hammer already said, you are not "adding a bat" here. You are really swapping hunter for scott which offensively is a neutral, at best, move. You'd be improving outfield defense slightly, but at what cost?

And hunter is "slipping," at least defensively. he is no longer the elite CF he was at 26. reputation is always slow to catch up to reality. Hunter still has a good reputation for defensive,but in reality, backed up virtually all defensive metrics, he's not the CF he was 5 years ago. How is he going to be when he's 38 and stuck in cf because you still have an old Carlos lee in LF? And that's not even beginning to speak to the financial ramifications of the potential deal.

5. right1

right1 Member

I don't know. Rowand had a heck of a 2007 season, but in '05 and 06 he just wasn't very good at all. I mean .262 with 12 Homeruns? Or .270 with 13 HR's? As our starting centerfielder? Hunter is great defensively and puts up pretty good, consistent offensive numbers, had a great '07, but is a career .271 hitter. If he can hit .285 with 30 homeruns in Minute Maid, then he's our man, hopefully. I prefer Hunter. Rowand is a risk imo.

6. DoitDickau

And on a team with huge holes in the rotation, bullpen, and infield, that is also handicapped by 3 huge contracts, they are thinking of spending a 100 million on a 30 year old outfielder who basically is going to replicate the production they are already getting. LOL what's wrong with these people? Who wants to starts a fire Ed Wade campaign ;)

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It seems this discussion boils down around how much faith you have in Luke Scott. I don't have a ton...but I hope I'm wrong.

8. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

But it also boils down to $$$. Do you spend a lot of money to bring in the low-risk, low-reward option, or do you use that money elsewhere and go with the more risky, cheaper option. IMO, even if Luke Scott turns out to be simply mediocre, Hunter is not a big enough upgrade to justify the contract he's going to get.

9. DoitDickau

To add to this, if you sign Hunter to a Carlos Lee type deal then you'll essentially have half of the payroll allocated to 4 players. All of whom will be on the wrong side of 30 next year. In 4 years when Berkman, Oswalt, Lee and Hunter are in their mid to late 30's making a combined 60 million a year, how is that going to effect team's ability to resign a Pence, or just field a competitive team?

10. right1

right1 Member

Maybe someone REALLY wants the left-handed hitting Luke Scott and that is our only way to get a #2 starting pitcher.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

crazy i was listening to 1560 this morning when richard justice recieved a text message about that situation

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Trade Luke Scott while his value is high.

He's gonna pull a 'Jason Lane' next year.

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

If you can get that deal, take it immediately. More likely, Wade deals Scott at the deadline for an crappy aging middle reliever - that's kind of his thing.

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Please put the crack pipe down......

:rolleyes:

15. MadMax

i thought drafting and bringing along guys like howard and utley was his thing.

16. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Bringing in a guy like Torii Hunter not only gives you an instant offensive power, but one of the best defensive CF's in the game - thats huge! Defensively I think he's worth aquiring with even subpar stats.

Id give him 4 years 60 million.

17. DoitDickau

Okay, maybe you're right. Why don't you give us a detailed explanation on why Rowland or Hunter are significantly better than Scott?

18. DoitDickau

Where does he rate right now against other center fielders in the game? What is rationale, support for this position?

19. DoitDickau

From Chris Jaffe (thehardballtimes.com) Ed Wade’s moves:

Looking it up, the following were drafted by Philly from 1998-2005: (under scouting director Mike Arbuckle)

Pat Burrell
    Ryan Madson
    Nick Punto
    Brett Myers
    Marlon Byrd
    Chase Utley
    Ryan Howard
    Cole Hamels

Traded Adam Eaton’s future (joke all you want, before his injury he had serious talent) for a half-season rental on Andy Ashby’s corpse.

Traded Schilling for Omar Daal, Vincente Padilla, Travis Lee and Nelson Figueroa.

Signed Jose Lima

Signed Rheal Cormier. Twice.

Signed Ricky Bottalico

Signed Paul Byrd

Signed Amaury Telemaco. Twice.

Signed Terry Adams

Traded John Mabry for Jeremy Giambi.

Traded Scott Rolen and some other guy for Placido Polanco, Mike Timlin, and Bud Smith (and this would have been great, but he refused to install Polance at third and insisted on palying the corpse of David Bell)

Signed David Bell - in 2002 - 4 years, 17.6 mill, average 84 OPS+

Signed Jim Thome (with Ryan Howard only a year away) to a 6 year contract

Nabbed Dan Plesac for 33 innings at 2 mill a year in 2002

Traded his back up catcher Johnny Estrada for Kevin Millwood

Traded Zeke Astacio, Brandon Duckworth and Taylor Buchholz for Billy Wagner

Traded Nick Punto, Carlos Silva and another guy for Eric Milton

Signed Roberto Hernandez. 750K for 56.2 innings of 91 ERA+

Traded 2 minor leaguers and Elizardo Ramirez to the Reds for Cory Lidle, then signed him as a FA, paying him 3 mill for a year of 100 ERA+ over 187 IP, then half a year of 94 ERA+ over 127 IP for 3 mill each year. Traded away as a salary dump with Bobby Abreu for 4 nothing minor leaguers

Traded Felix Rodriquez 3.15 mill for 32.3 IP with a 89 ERA+ for Kenny Lofton who played for 1 year, 3.1 mill and a 107 OPS+

Signed Jon Lieber 3 years, approximately 8 mill a year, 105 ERA+ 95 ERA+, 98 ERA+ over 454 IP.

I think making crappy trades and roster moves are also his thing

20. MadMax

you can't look at trades alone and say that is a measure of the GM. when the owner says he isn't signing his own free agents, then it's best to trade. so trading schilling and rolen, if i remember correctly, wasn't a decision by the GM that they weren't good players...but rather that they wouldn't be able to afford them in the long term.

i'd love to draft howard, utley and hamels. if we could replicate that, it would be great. and the director of scouting we hired from the brewers has a good reputation, as well.