1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Rivals?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Aug 16, 2015.

1. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Absolutely hate the Angels, but I am sure it has something to do with living in LA.

2. Buck Turgidson

How could you all forget our MLB decreed Natural Rivals:

The Seattle Mariners.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I thought they were the Priests' Natural Rivals.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, I believe the Astros "natural" rivals are either the Rockies or the D'backs...

5. Buck Turgidson

We're still in the National League, right?

6. Nook

Nook Member

I don't hate the Royals. They were so bad for so long. I like the way they have built their club and I like their passion. The old school mentality is something I appreciate and their defense and pen are special.

I don't like the Angels and especially dislike Albert Pujols.... Still I have to say the Rangers are worse. I really don't like anything about their franchise... I will say the worse fans and worst culture around a team is the Cubs. When I worked for the Astros they were the most arrogant and rude ball club. Finally I told Zambrano to pick up a paper and check the standings after peeing on the bullpen restroom door when Remlinger was locked in the pen bathroom chain smoking and reading

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Rangers are pretty clearly our top rival, there are simply to many factors working in its favor as top rivalry. There is genuine dislike on both sides, moreso from our side right now, but if we come out on top for a year it will start working both ways.

I hate the Royals, but so do a lot of teams, that's not a rivalry. The Angels could become a rival if we compete for division crowns for a few years, but there really isn't any disdain right now, that could change.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

If you don't think the rangers are our biggest and only natural rival than I question whether or not you're an actual Houstonian.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Anyone who thinks this is just still bitter about the AL move and refuses to give it any credit. Hating the Rangers has been so much fun and has made the move worth it, IMO.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I hate the Royals. I don't know if I can say that about any other team right now. I do find myself rooting against the Cardinals, despite not having any reason to.

11. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

I mean...

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree with this 100%

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I suppose what is a rivalry and what is not has much to do with how long you have been following the team. For me, in the back of my mind, Atlanta is a rival. Certainly St. Louis. But for someone who only began tuning into this team since their AL transfer, no national league team is going to be on your radar.

Lessons in history tell us the Rangers will or already will become a rival. The leaders in the other two AL divisions may become rivals.

But for most of us here, tracking this team began far longer than 4 years ago.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've been watching for over 20 years. The Cardinals and Braves "were" our top rivals. We're in the AL now, it sucks but that's the way it is. A team we are never playing isn't a rival. What they do is completely inconsequential to us unless we play them in the World Series.

I don't even pay attention to the NL scoreboard anymore.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not to mention that while the Cardinals and Braves were OUR top rivals... we were never close to being their top rivals (which is really required for a true rivalry to get really "good")

The only team that has that sort of mutual relationship possibility right now is the Rangers (since they too lack the ability to be a rival of another team).

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Rivalry within the division will develop first and most easily, if for no other reason we play division teams twice as often as other AL teams. They also tend to be closer to us geographically.

Only after years of playoff appearances are strong non-division rivalries likely to develop.

Important point you make about us being their rivals. I agree a rivalry is only real if its mutual.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rangers were a rival before the AL move. They are definitely the biggest now.

Royals could quickly become a top rival if we meet in the playoffs this year.

Angels might the default choice for #2 since they've been the class of the division since the switch, but we've sucked since the move. A playoff match up would do wonders.

1) Rangers
    2) Angels
    3) Cardinals
    4) Braves
    5) Royals

Stros AL roots are still young, so ATL and STL still deserve mention IMO.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Rival cities, I agree. But while we were in the NL, I wouldnt agree we were rival baseball teams. Not in a direct sense at least.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Those teams faced each other every year.