1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros reportedly willing/expected to trade Pence

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msn

msn Member

Oh yes. He came out of nowhere and pitched excellently in 1980 after JR went down. He was never a dominant force or anything, but a decent starter for us for a few years.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/rumblings110727/colorado-rockies-shopping-ace-ubaldojimenez

The Phillies are a team that loves to stalk The Big Deal this time of year. And it's now become clear to clubs that have spoken with the Phillies that if that Big Deal is for a bat, almost all their bullets are being aimed at Hunter Pence.

In fact, over the last 24 hours, two different front-office men -- neither of whom works for the Phillies or Astros -- told us they believed the Phillies "had a deal for him" earlier in the week, only to have Houston back off.

When we ran that scenario past one Astros official, he refused to discuss any specific player. What he did say was that his team is still willing to listen to just about anything, and that it hasn't said no to any specific proposal.

Other clubs say the Astros have told them they would still need to be "overwhelmed" to trade Pence in particular because their team is a month away from being sold -- and Pence might be the only reason anybody in Houston would want to buy a ticket to see them next year.

But if they're offered a package built around high-end young pitching, they'll listen. So it's believed the Phillies structured a deal around their best hitting prospect, first baseman Jonathan Singleton, and their best pitching prospect, Jarred Cosart -- both of whom are playing for Single-A Clearwater -- plus another second-tier pitching prospect. But the Astros have been telling clubs they need four sure-thing players if they deal Pence. And the Phillies haven't shown a willingness to strip their system that bare, or to include rookie starter Vance Worley in any trade.

So in the end, other teams still expect Houston to hang onto Pence, at least for now, and focus on moving Wandy Rodriguez and/or Brett Myers, while picking up as little money in those deals as possible. And if it turns out Pence is unavailable, the Phillies would probably focus more on smaller moves -- Jason Giambi, Jeff Francoeur, Ryan Ludwick, bat-off-the-bench types and bullpen arms.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Good to hear he's driving hard bargain on Pence.

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I know Jarred Cosart and getting him as part of a package for Pence would be a good piece. If we get 3 or 4 players like Cosart then I would pull the deal. Cosart hit 98 mph in the Futures Game, local product, and a great kid.

5. RedRaiderRocket

6. Poloshirtbandit

take it how you want:

brianmctaggart Brian McTaggart

Pence not traded. Says was told last night he would get day off. Has been struggling a bit.

7. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

If there is truth to the Cosart, Singleton, 2nd tier prospect thing then Wade would be stupid not to do the deal. But I think he's posturing to get everything he can get out of this deal. Hopefully Biddle is that third prospect too. That deal alone would give our farm system the boost it needs to get into the middle of the pack next year.

8. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

http://scott-miller.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/30911835

Carlos Beltran was traded to the Giants in exchange for minor league pitcher and former first-round pick Zach Wheeler, according to multiple CBSSports.com sources.

I don't know anything about Wheeler, but would this type of package be good enough main piece if it were for Pence? Obviously, I think their should be additional, better players in a Pence deal, but strictly speaking on the main attraction/

9. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

rumor is braves want pence could be bidding war between philies and braves.

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

^^^
    Please, please please be true. The time to trade Pence is now, while his value is at its highest. Don't wait until the offseason where many other guys will become available. Keep milking until the deadline but get what you can NOW!

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

What's the scoop on domonic brown?

12. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

elite prospect. was #1 prospect in baseball at points last year. consensus top 5 prospect entering year. elite upside but still relatively raw as a 23 yo. has been blah in majors so far. but has mvp type upside and is already an average player in majors

13. what

what Member

Either of the two top pitching prospects from the braves would be a coup. Mike Minor, Andrelton Simmons and Randall Delgado.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

So worth Pence straight up?

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I'd love to get Brown and either Cosart or Singleton, preferably Cosart.

16. what

what Member

The only guy worth a straight up deal for pence is Julio Teheran, but that just ain't going to happen.

I would also take Freddie Freeman, but that's a pipe dream as well.

17. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

where is brett wallace fit in all this? i def. think he should be playing everyday but maybe they already know what he's about and want to audition lee more?

if you trade pence for singleton and domonic then your outfield is set with bourn in center (assuming he stays). wallace at first. then where does lee go?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If 2 top 50 picks are on the table we have to take that deal. Hopefully it's just a leverage tactic, not an outright refusal. If it is, wade needs to go right now, we can't keep letting him do this. His value ain't getting better.

At this point in his career we know what Hunter is, a solid outfielder nothing more. He is replaceable, in fact i think J.D. Martinez could step in right now and equal his production, or come close for a cheaper price.

Outfielder OPS rankings
    2011-21st
    2010-31st
    2009-24th
    2008-38th

19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

From what I read, Singleton played horrible D in the OF.

20. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

i dont even see philly trading domonic anyways since he's already get regular at bats. so yeah, i'll take singleton and cosart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.