1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros release Shane Reynolds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Master Baiter, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I just got this email from astros.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Astros Release Shane Reynolds
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Astros General Manager Gerry Hunsicker announced on
    Thursday that the club granted right-hander Shane Reynolds
    his unconditional release. Reynolds, 35, played 11 seasons
    for the Astros but was questionable this spring after
    undergoing season-ending back surgery last June. He was
    0-1 with 5.87 ERA this spring.

"This was a very difficult decision," Hunsicker said.
    "But from what we saw this spring, with the options that
    we had, the goal is to take the best team to Houston with the best chance to win. I just felt that we had better options."

For more information, go to astros.com >> http://lists.mlb.com/u/76146/528032

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Here is the link

Astros release Reynolds

03/27/2003 12:14 PM ET
    Astros release Reynolds
    Underwent back surgery last June
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Shane Reynolds was released on Thursday. (Alan Diaz/AP)

Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker announced on Thursday that the club granted right-hander Shane Reynolds his unconditional release.
    Reynolds, 35, played 11 seasons for the Astros but was questionable this spring after undergoing season-ending back surgery last June.

"This was a very difficult decision," Hunsicker said. "But from what we saw this spring, with the options that we had, the goal is to take the best team to Houston with the best chance to win. I just felt that we had better options."

Reynolds was 0-1 with a 5.87 ERA in five spring appearances.

Tim Redding and Jeriome Robertson, who battled all spring for the fifth starter's position, will now both make the rotation. The Astros, who have 26 players remaining on the roster, will decide in the next two days whether to carry 11 or 12 pitchers. If they carry 12, right-hander Brandon Puffer will make the team. If they carry 11, Puffer will be optioned to Triple-A New Orleans.

Hunsicker added that the club is considering carrying three catchers, which would allow Raul Chavez to make the team.

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

WTF!?

I did not see that coming at all. Shane was one of my favorite Astros. Seems just like yesterday when he was an up and coming prospect.

4. drapg

drapg Member

Holy crap.

I had not heard a single rumor about this possibility.

I'm in shock.

5. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

ESPN has this reported to. This is definitely not a joke. It is a really big shock.

Reynolds was 0-1 with a 5.87 ERA this spring

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Shane Reynolds was put on waivers Thursday by the Houston Astros, who decided to use young pitchers Tim Redding and Jeriome Robertson in their rotation.

Reynolds

Reynolds, who said he had fully recovered from a season-ending back operation last summer, had been effective at times during spring training despite an 0-1 record and 5.87 ERA. Throughout the exhibition season, the Astros had listed Reynolds as the team's No. 3 starter.

"This was a very difficult decision,'' Hunsicker said. "But from what we saw this spring, with the options that we had, the goal is to take the best team to Houston with the best chance to win. I just felt that we had better options.''

The right-handed Redding and left-handed Robertson ostensibly were competing for the final open spot in the Astros' rotation behind Roy Oswalt, Wade Miller and Brian Moehler. Both Redding and Robertson have pitched well this spring.

Reynolds' unconditional release reduced the Astros' roster to 26. Hunsicker said the Astros will decide in the next two days whether to take right-handed reliever Brandon Puffer or third-string catcher Raul Chavez to Houston when the team breaks camp.

The Astros must pay Reynolds the $1 million they owe him on the one-year contract he signed last December that was loaded with incentives he won't be around to reach.

Reynolds, who turned 35 Wednesday, had emergency surgery June 13 to repair a pinched nerve in his back. He went 3-6 with a 4.86 ERA in 13 starts before then.

Since his major league debut in 1992, Reynolds has pitched in 274 games, including 248 starts, with 103-86 record and 3.95 ERA. He ranks seventh in franchise history with his 103 wins and is fifth with 1,309 strikeouts.

The Bastrop, La., native and University of Texas product had spent his entire major league career in Houston.

6. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

OH MY GOD!

That is truly the biggest shock I've heard lately.

They kept Brad Lidge and Jeriome Robertson and waived Reynolds?!!?!?!

Like said before: "WTF?!?!?!"

7. spence99

spence99 Member

Definitely shocking, but I think it is a good move. Shane has been getting hurt every year, so you can't count on him being healthy all year. Plus, he definitely does not have the stuff he used to have. They said his fastball was clocking in at 82-85mph, that's not good at all. Plus, it gives a chance for our young guys to step up.

8. Timing

Timing Member

Hmm, I dunno about that. Redding had a great spring last year and stunk it up during the season.

9. coma

coma Contributing Member

Oh, newsflash.

Shane Reynolds SUCKS.

10. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Wasn't he the opening day started 2 seasons ago?

As Janet Jackson would say, "What have you done for me lately."

Shocker!

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If he was only hitting 82-85 mph with his fastball, that's just not going to get it done. Especially considering the close left field fence at MMP.

Redding has great stuff. Hopefully he can put it together this year and get his head on straight.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Redding's a headcase. He has arguably the best stuff on the staff. His curve is absolutely wicked.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I wish Shane the best, but this is the way the business works...

I saw Shane as a 5, but damn...It's tougth to over come a injury, but he did suck last year and in the Spring...

The only veteran is Moehler???...Does 2 yrs. in the bigs count as would be the case for Oswalt and Miller???

We'll do just fine, and as JH said, we needed to take the best team to Houston to win...

GLuck Shane...

14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Wow what a surprise. Ive probaly seen Shane pitch in person more than anyother astro. What a ballplayer. Hope he finds another team that wants him.

15. BALLhog 247 365

thats totally ****ty...redding will never be as good as reynolds

16. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

His stuff is already better than Shane's by a long shot. It's justa matter of getting his head together. Shane, meanwhile has not had his body together in years.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is FANTASTIC news and shows a true committment to winning.

Redding and Robertson are much better then Shane at this stage in his career.

He was good for the Stros, but he has simply lost it.

Too bad we can't do the same for Hidalgo so Lane can play.

DD

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Shane hasn't finished a season in 3 years. He hadn't fully recovered from last year's injury. At his age, making the money he does, if the Astros aren't using him on every one of his scheduled starts, economically they are almost forced to let him go.

19. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

wtf he is still good, damnit that pisses me off, we better get another good guy then , he was one of my favorites , even though he didnt do too much lately

20. Timing

Timing Member

We'll revisit this opinion at the All-Star break. ;)