1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Player movement thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Major

Major Member

What exactly is the trade appeal of Norris, as far as this season goes? His best season was 2011, and that was an ERA of 3.77 and WHIP of 1.33. His WHIP, year in and year out, is atrocious (1.43 this year). He's made up for it by striking lots of people out, but as of this year, he's not doing that well either.

On a contending team, he strikes me as a #4-5 type starter, and it doesn't seem like teams would pay much for that. Getting #4 or #5 starters shouldn't be that difficult with the number of teams falling out of contention at this point.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So many unknown factors, but I think they should jump him to A+ now, and look at opening him at AA next season. I think possible 2014 September call-up, but likely early to midseason 2015.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Before the last few starts he had an ERA around 3.40 which makes him appear as a legit #3. Now though I don't see the Astros getting enough to want to move him.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Thin pitching market. Under club control. Believed a change in scenery would be good.

The decrease in strikeouts is likely intentional. The same stuff is there.

Never underestimate the stupidity of a GM.

5. Major

Major Member

Fair point - but I'm more thinking long-term. From the day the season started, he was considered a good trade candidate. At that point, he'd had one decent season and 3 mediocre ones, so there was some kind of appeal there before any of this season's numbers.

On the thin pitching market, it's certainly thin if looking for good, top-of-the-line starters. But is it really thin when looking at #4 and #5 starters? Those guys seem like they would be relatively plentiful.

Makes sense on the club control - that's more helpful next year than this, but it could certainly increase his value. Don't know what to make of the change of scenery. That seems like wishful thinking on the part of the Astros or whatever GM is trying to convince himself that Bud's the guy for him.

Maybe so - but it doesn't seem to have led to better results over all. Seems like if you're going to put tons of people on base as he does, strikeouts would be a key part of damage control.

Certainly can't argue with this one. Where is Ed Wade when you need him?

6. Major

Major Member

Hmm, maybe I'm just more familiar with NL pitching staffs than the AL. Looking at some of these AL contenders, they do have some mediocre #3 pitchers, so maybe he could be more useful than I give him credit for.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

All their mid-season moves have to correlate... so somebody from A+ needs to move to AA, and the AA guy needs to go to AAA and the AAA guy needs to go to the majors or get DFA'd.

I'd love it if he tears up AA pitching and that coincides with a decent Astros team... and the team will be tempted to call up a guy that can push them over the hump.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe I missed it, but shouldn't there be a corresponding move for a SS at OKC?

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

As for Norris . . .yes he has not been good lately, but the "stuff" is obviously there

Pitching is usually overpaid for, see Happ, J.A.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Is anyone else confused by Villar's home/road splits? He is excellent at home but pretty bad on the road. Also, he is way better when batting left handed facing right handed batters. I know this isn't shocking but if we can limit the amount of left handed pitchers he faces and keep his confidence high playing at home then he should have a decent debut.

I think his season is about as good as you can expect so it is definitely time to move him up and see what he's got. Once Springer gets 30 hr's and 30 sb's he will be up to the show too.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Montaous Walton could've done a better job at SS this season.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Any idea how many free tickets were distributed? There was an announced crowd of 30,000+.

13. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

My offer came in an e-mail from CSNHouston

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Martinez and Maxwell collided last night, and all I could think of was "Free George Springer!"

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They are too scared to risk Springer getting injured playing with the current Astros. If that was Springer, Martinez could have hurt him.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>J.D. Martinez is going on the DL, and Robbie Grossman is coming up from OKC via <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronAstros">@ChronAstros</a></p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/360954924445597696">July 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>RHP Paul Clemens has been optioned to AAA OKC...LHP Brett Oberholtzer recalled. Should arrive in TOR by game time (12:05 pm ET).</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/statuses/361124730868203520">July 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

:( :(

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Astros recall RHP Chia-Jen Lo from Corpus and will select contract of RHP Josh Zeid from OKC. RHP Hector Abriz optioned back to Triple A.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/361955636164038657">July 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Bring on the LOFs.

The Lo Only Fans, that is.