1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Player movement thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jun 18, 2013.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, hence "past 2013".

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just wanna say thanks to the <a href="https://twitter.com/astros">@astros</a> for taking a chance on me 5 years ago and giving me the opportunity to fulfill my dream......</p>&mdash; Wesley Wright (@realweswright) <a href="https://twitter.com/realweswright/statuses/367020314841985024">August 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>the city of Houston as supported me through thick and thin and I greatly appreciate all of you, but I'm extremely excited to begin....</p>&mdash; Wesley Wright (@realweswright) <a href="https://twitter.com/realweswright/statuses/367020753255792640">August 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>my career as <a href="https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball">@RaysBaseball</a> player. #STPetebound#Rays <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros&amp;src=hash">#Astros</a></p>&mdash; Wesley Wright (@realweswright) <a href="https://twitter.com/realweswright/statuses/367022280183779328">August 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I figured Carter to fit the mold of Cerrano. I don't don't think he was stealing 30 bases. It's more like they're keeping a power hitting Willie Mays Hayes in AAA.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We need to find a chicken...

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

After today's game, Carter was quoted by a local reporter saying, "Straight ball, I hit it very much. Curve ball, bats are afraid."

:grin:

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I just got the alert, Phllip Humber is coming back, really, Phil freaking Humber.

This team is some kinda committed to that #1 pick.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even if they don't end up with the worst record ever, this is likely the worst team ever assembled... probably because there has been a concerted effort to build a losing team.

I hope they get as good at building a winner as they are at building a loser.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Needing to pay off investors? He is making a ****load of money as things stand.

Next year is gonna be even crazier.

#208 robbie380, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  9. cardpire

cardpire Member

What would you like to have seen them do this year or leading up to this year (other than bringing up Springer a month ago)?

Seems like you favor the idiocy of Mclane and co's final several years, where there's no eye on the future, only doing all you can to approach 75 wins.

Seems like anybody complaining just wants to have their cake and eat it too.

10. ssherman

ssherman Member

Fill Wesley Wright's spot with anyone other than Humber. The only reason Humber will be in that spot is because the club is locked into his ~$800k salary for this season because he made the opening day roster, and if they brought up another reliever they would owe the prorated minimum to that player.

There are not many things the club can do, but it is difficult to argue at this point that they are not cheap.

There is no reason to pay money to watch this team at this point, and remember, Crane doesn't care about any of our opinions unless we have $10 million to buy a portion of his team.

Additionally, it is reprehensible what they are doing to George Springer. They are clearly attempting to delay his free agency and arbitration eligibility by a year. To do this for a player who is clearly better than any other outfielder currently on the club in an industry where someones career will last a decade if they are lucky is awful. I had respect for Luhnow and the baseball operation and generally supported every move they have made, but this is disgusting. And hiding behind him having no two strike approach and striking out too much, when the team is about to break the club's strike out record in mid August is laughable. Another example of new ownership being cheap.

If ownership was going to run the club as custodians of something engrained in the community I would be interested in going to at least a dozen games a season. However, if they are going to run the club purely as a business, I have no intention of doing anything other than watching games on television until they are in contention for the division and there is something worth paying for.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jason Stoffel, Paul Clemens, hell I'll take Eric Berger. Granted the options aren't great. But anything is better than proven scrubs like Humber and Edgar Gonzalez. I don't mind losing at all, but lose with a purpose.

It's one thing to play young players and not waste money on mediocre vets. It's a whole different thing to continue to run sorry veterans out there with no upside.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

7 game lead with 45 to play. It's been ugly. I hope next year they change gears. This is starting to get really old.

13. 45souf

45souf Member

What's the record for consecutive 100 loss seasons In a row? Pirates, or rays have to be leading that right? Can't be us

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm not sure but I think the Royals lost at least 100 three years in a row in recent history. I don't think any team has had the flat out worst record three years in a row though.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wouldn't have done anything different for the roster prior to the season. I didn't care about the low payroll. I'm on board with the rebuild.

But, there's tanking... and there's TANKING. Guess I've never seen it so blatantly done before in baseball.

Its perfectly natural to have this sort of reaction. Again, I'm on board for tearing it all down... but even though they've been bad the two years prior, this is a whole nother level that I never thought they'd have to fall to. If anything, by now (almost 3 years into the rebuild), I was expecting to see some of the fruits of that labor (by seeing all our young MLB-ready talent up here at the same time)... but even that has been put on hold due to the sake of being as bad as possible.

From the non-MLB ready guys getting lots of AB's simply for experimental reasons, to giving Philip Humber another chance for no reason (along with the endless parade of jokes our bullpen has featured), its as if they're trying harder to be bad, rather than just playing the best players they have (or could have) and seeing where the chips fall.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't believe any team in MLB history has lost 100 games for 3 straight seasons.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Royals did it about 10 years ago.
    The Phillies had 5 straight in the 30's and 40's
    A few expansion teams in the 60's also had 3 straight.

So not quite historic, but impressive futility nonetheless.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ahhh...I didn't realize that.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

So, they bring up Cosart, Lo, Zeid, Chapman, De Leon, Oberholtzer, Peacock, Elmore, Villar, Grossman, Krauss, etc....

but you're upset that they haven't brought up Stoffel, Clemens, and Berger? It's safe to say that you're going to find something to complain about no matter what they do at this point.

Do you think they are bringing up Humber because they are afraid they will win too many games and lose the #1 pick if they bring up Stoffel instead??

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

Again, who are we talking about here besides George Springer?