1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astro's Play-off Nemesis?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DavidS, May 10, 2004.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

A couple days ago ROXRAN made a comment about the Atlanta Braves...He said, "Yea,... I don't think there is a team I hate right now as much as the annoying Braves!"

I related to the comment. I felt the same way. The Braves seem to just *coast* through success without any effort. Their arrogant. The only thorn in their side is that they don't do very well in the World Series. They are regular season winners and play-off winners. But they are World Series losers. Sure, they have one trophy. But still. :D

I was very happy that we were able to win the series 2-1 against the Braves. It's not very often that we've been able to do that. Not in the last 10 years. They seemed to always have our number...

But then I asked, "Who is the Astro's Nemesis?" The Braves? Well, yes and no.

Think about the history of the Astros. We've done so bad in the play-offs, or leading up to the play-offs, that EVERYONE is our "nemesis." I have bad memories about everyone our division... St. Louis, Cincinnati, Chicago, and even Pittsburgh. What about in the NL? Oh boy! Who can forget the Mets, Phillies and the dreaded Los Angels Dodgers! :mad:

The list goes on and on...all the way back to the late 70's.

It really doesn't matter. No matter who we meet in the play-offs, we'll still have a team (not the Braves) that has sent us packing in the past.

So, we really don't have a true "nemesis" unless we want to blame the whole NL!

Look at it this way...If we can't beat any of these teams with our current team, then we don't deserve to win. Plain and simple. IMO, this is the best team the Astros have ever put together. No more "feast or famine hitting." No more "pitching is our only strength" team. No more bad defense at SS. No more excuses.

I'm sick and tired of teams like Arizona and Florida getting championships by beating all the teams we've had so much trouble with. It seems to me that the way they won was the same method we're using today: They had a balanced team from top to bottom.

#1 DavidS, May 10, 2004
    Last edited: May 11, 2004
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros have been to the playoffs in 1980, 1981 (strike season), 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2001.

They lost to the Phillies in 1980, Dodgers in 1981, Mets in 1986, Braves in 1997, 1999 and 2001 and the Padres in 1998. The Astros were extremely competitive in all of their series in the 80s. None of those teams "thumped" them. The Braves have flat out had the Astros number as Houston has only won 1 of 10 games against them in the playoffs. The Braves are the main reason Larry Dierker is not a manager in the major leagues.

There are clearly a number of teams the Astros could meet in the playoffs who have never "thumped" them.

3. DavidS

Sorry...

I meant, "thumped" as in "getting knocked out of the play-offs." Not that we weren't sometimes competitive.

I remember sensing a "sigh of relief" in the Houston press back in 1998 that we didn't meet the Braves in NL Division Series. We met the San Diego Padres instead. And if you remember. That was one of the worst displays of hitting in the history of the Astros. It was despicable. Seemed more like a lack of mental preparation, rather than talent.

So, it really doesn't matter who we meet in the playoffs. I just don't think that we should take any team for granted this time. Even if it's not the Braves.

#3 DavidS, May 10, 2004
    Last edited: May 11, 2004
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Totally agreed...in baseball you can't take anything for granted.

I don't remember the Cubs ever playing spoiler to the 'stros...but I've disliked them, particularly since the 1998 division race.

I've hated the Cahdnals since before they were in our division.

Still can't stand the Mets. Still want to thrown boiling hot water on Jesse Orosco.

The Padres...eh. No feelings there. That's more reserved for Kevin Brown, I think.

The Braves. Can't freaking stand them. I think that's because I remember how bad they were when I was growing up...and how fans came out of the woodwork when they started winning...and how unknowledgeable about the game Braves fans generally are.

Dodgers...I still find myself rooting against them at every chance.

oh yeah...and the Yankees suck.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Astro's Play-off Nemesis?

Answer (as of modern times): Biggio and Bagwell

6. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

My dad still turnd red at the mention of Lenny Dykstra.

I was only 6 years old during that series, so the ones that get my blood boiling are Kevin Brown, Walt Weiss, and Chipper Jones.

This is stricly a regular season thing, but I hate Jim Edmunds too.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Dykstra is probably the all time astro killer.

8. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

If you throw Edmonds in there you have to include Klesko as well. Simply put: He owns the Astros.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

check out these postseason facts:
    Post Season BAverage
    1. Bobby Brown .439 46
    2. Jose Offerman .429 50
    3. Ichiro Suzuki .421 43
    4. Pepper Martin .418 60
    5. Fred Lynn .407 61
    6. Billy Hatcher .404 61
    7. Lou Brock .391 92
    8. Ryne Sandberg .385 47
    9. Willie Aikens .375 49
    10. Terry Puhl .372 46

10. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Good one.

Also see Todd Helton.

You just know when those guys come to the plate against the Astros something bad is about to happen.

11. Chump

Chump Member

when did Bobby find time between Whitney's rehab stints to concentration on playing ball?

12. MadMax

Jim Leyritz killed us in 1998

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I still can't figure out how he hit that homer off of Wagner in game 2. That ball went opposite field into the gray seats. Thats unheard of in the Dome.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Wagner was thowing so hard, he could have bunted it over the wall if he had wanted to.

15. Buck Turgidson

Leyritz was a dead fastball hitter. Wagner threw him nothing but fastballs.

16. DavidS

MadMax, I just realized you said that Braves fans are generally unknowledgeable about baseball. The first time I read it I though it said, "knowledgeable" and that's why you hated them. But, it's the reverse...

Are you talking about the way that they seemed to "inherit" a great team, but don't really understand why they are great?

I like a "spoiled rich kid?" :)

17. MadMax

that....and that most braves fans i meet don't know who dale murphy is. couldn't point atlanta out on a map.

one of the smartest baseball fans i ever knew was a father of one my close friends growing up. he was a huge murphy fan...and the braves sucked, but the guy was from atlanta and he freaking sold out for them. that's cool as christmas. but my experience with braves fan, for the most part, is that it all came too easy for too long...and they really don't have much knowledge of the game, itself...or even their own team's history. and the fact that many of their fans watch too much cable TV! :)

18. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

The only nemesis during the playoffs for the Astros are themselves. Our top dawgs usually choke and we make ourselves look like we dont deserve to be there. This year ..................we will win it damnit!!

19. DavidS

Yeah, like Gunn said (Bigs/Bags). I was soooo mad at them in the San Diego playoffs.

But, I think that Baggs plays better when he's not the only one in the spotlight. I'm so glad that we have Kent and Berkman to share the pressure.

And more so, Clements. He's the biggest star now. :cool:

#19 DavidS, May 13, 2004
    Last edited: May 13, 2004