1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Magic Number countdown

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Sep 19, 2005.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i was on I-10...from Gessner all the way into downtown, the b****ing is all I heard. i parked downtown...went to the courthouse...came back to my car and got back in..turned it back on...and they were still talking about it. i don't know if they broke off and talked about something else while i was out.

2. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

They went on and Lance focused on how these are golden opportunities and how they never got bats for the pitching staff.

Granado went on and talked about how last year was to be the year with Lance, Bagwell, Kent, etc. Lance just kept raising his voice and said some gibberish that could barely be understood with all the people talking at once, on the radio, no less. I think he did mention that Drayton would not allow Gerry Hunsicker to spend more money on more relief pitchers. It's just more stuff said just to create arguments.

Eventually, Lance went on about how Drayton is one of the riches men in the country and how he wouldn't spend more money on a few bats during the offseasons, and therefore, resulting in us only making large acquisitions during the season to save his own behind. Meanwhile, we're losing our farm system in these trades.

Justice then talked about how each year, Drayton's looking to cut costs, only to get lucky with the likes of Pettitte coming in and Roger going for 5 million. Then he tried to cut costs again this year for the Beltran "Sweepstakes", only to sign Roger at the last minute.

John then talked about the payroll next year, how so much money is tired up to Pettitte, Oswalt, Berkman, and Bagwell.

I think it's just ridiculous that this is such a miraculous season for the Astros. They just reduced their magic number to 3, and they have to argue about how money wasn't spent at the right places.

All in all, I believe that they just like to stir up controversy to build ratings. I did myself a favor and changed stations for the duration of my drive.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If we make the playoffs, and do some damage, who cares what idiots on the radio think?

GO STROS !!

DD

4. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

We can do some damage this year, especially having all of our pitchers in the primary rotation going strong. Hopefully the short rest will give Roger's hammy some time to get better. Our middle relievers are doing much better this year and our starters are going long enough so that we don't have to use the middle guys for more then one inning or so.

My only concern with the Astros is there constant inability to score runners on base when we need some insurance runs. I mean I have lost count the number of times this year when we have had guys on second, third or bases loaded even and like 0 or 1 outs and can't even manager a freakin' single to add a run or two......ugh :confused: I don't get it....that kind of stuff will lose you games in the playoffs.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Lance was right, I'm tired of hearing Drayton complain about losing money, and b) the Astros didn't take advantage of an opportunity. the fact is they still have one of the worst offenses in the majors. they have been very fortunate that two of their pitchers are having career years one in his forties and the other coming off surgery. Drayton got lucky this year.

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

When did Drayton complain about losing money?

7. DaDakota

The year after saying that the Astrodome was a perfect place to play football, and after the Oilers left, he started whining.....to get MM park.

DD

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's said it before, but to hear the whiners tell it, that's the only thing he ever talks about. They're wrong, but will never see that. They're blinded by some sort of bizzare hatred for a man who's been the owner for by far the most successful run in franchise history. Whiners.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know...he's the only owner to ever do that.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Are you talking about McClane or Bud Adams?

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Touche, CostMart.

At least McLane didn't use taxpayer money to renovate the Dome and still move. :)

12. Major

Major Member

In 1997, when he started whining to get MMP, our payroll was $34,000,000. In 2004, it was $74,000,000.

Drayton said we needed a new stadium to remain competitive - and he was right. We got a new stadium, he upped payroll dramatically, made smart financial decisions, and we stayed competitive. I don't see the problem there.

13. candlegreen

I'm sure if the opportunity came, they would've jumped on a trade that would drastically improve the offense. I'm sure if they left it be, they have their reasons and money isn't the only one.

14. DaDakota

No no, I don't hate Drayton, I was just pointing out when he said it.

DD

15. DaDakota

I completely agree.....I was just answering the question as to when he did it.

DD

16. Major

Major Member

Yeah - sorry about that. That should have been directed at whoever was complaining about Drayton's whining.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    2!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Go Astros!!!!

19. candlegreen

20. DaDakota

We could clinch a tie tomorrow with a win.....seriously put the pressure on the Phills...

COME ON STROS !!

DD