1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros looking to extend AJ Hinch contract long term

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stormy1234, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So that he can hit the free market and up his value even more?? That makes no sense. If you can lock him up on a decently good contract for multiple years, you do it. The stability within the organization is one of the biggest reasons why this team will contend for championships for the foreseeable future.

Also, there's something to be said for rewarding people for a job well done. Hinch has earned his extension.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Lock him up! He's only guided the Astros to the greatest record in their history.

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

He totally deserves it. His managing skills won the Series for the Stros.

- banned K.Giles from closer after Gm 5, but said he will pitch again in the World Series (he never pitched again).
    - replaced a really bad Reddick in Gm 7
    - didn't start Beltran in World Series
    - Keuchel and Verlander wanted to pitch Gm 7 (both were in the bullpen), but he let Morton finish it.

I was not in awe of him until he made these gutsy moves. Catchers that became managers (Girardi, Yost, Bochy, Torre, Scioscia) are pretty good.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]
    Let's not get crazy.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You don’t think they should extend him?

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

I would let the next year play out, I don't think other teams will be starting a bidding war. Do you think Hinch is better than Girardi?

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think Hinch is a good manager for the Astros. He relates well to the players, he has a plan and he executes that plan. He doesn't seem to have an ego. He makes mistakes that all managers do. He doesn't panic.

I don't watch the Yankees enough to have an opinion on how good or bad Girardi was, but I know Hinch was better than him in the playoffs.

cbass and mick fry like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Not sure what benefit there is to that. No team ever wants to have a lame-duck manager, let alone a WS-winning team. It's just a distraction for everyone. Also not sure what you'd get out of it. If the Astros have a down year, are you really not going to sign the guy that just won a WS a year earlier? If they win another WS, you might actually have a bidding war and a pissed off Hinch since you didn't give him job security this year.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hinch had the talent and I think Girardi maxed out everything from that roster and gave us a scare. As you know I'm not a Hinch fan but he didn't cost us the WS so I am all for him earning an extension based on this upcoming season. I would hate to give him say a 5 year extension and the team starts cratering or goes stagnant under his leadership.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

True and if they look great as you get to All Star break can you not extend him then? To add to that if they do have a down year with this talent as in not even in the playoff hunt then yeah you start looking elsewhere or just give him a year not five.

#30 mick fry, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  11. texans1095

texans1095 Member

He just won the World Series, what more does he have to earn to show he’s worthy of an extension?

raining threes likes this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Even mediocre teams don't have lame duck head coaches / managers, unless they actually want to get rid of them - this is true in most sports. The message you send to your team and your manager is horrible. I agree there's no absolute need for a long-term extension, but you never want to go into a season with a guy in his last year of a managing contract.

FWIW, I don't think any manager has a 5 year deal in baseball, really. But you always want them there for 2-3 more years. You can still fire him if need be.

mick fry likes this.
  13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hinch actually has two years before he's available.

14. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Agreed. I was being sarcastic as many take that stance in our players.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because, that is more provable than just winning a world series?

There's no downside to an extension/job security. Plenty of downside for making him "prove it". If the Astros somehow become a clubhouse disaster (doutbful), he can always be fired.

16. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Girardi was a good manager but his issues was more with the media and management. According to reports, Girardi wasn't fond of analytics and his coaching staff did poor scouting reports on opposing pitcher and etc. Some of this was brought up when they faced the Astros.

I still think he was solid. The Yankees caught Cleveland at the right time. I felt Cleveland kind of peaked when they went on that long winning streak and never found their groove. It was the perfect storm.

mick fry likes this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

We have this year and an option for another so I don't see the rush. I asked bobrek and I'll ask you do you think Hinch is a better manager than Girardi?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Based on results this year, yes.

Based on developing a clubhouse culture that guided young/inexperienced players to a championship, yes.

There's a reason the Yankees want to specifically hire a Hinch-like manager who can relate to their young core. Maybe Girardi is better off with a veteran team. Maybe Hinch is great just for young teams.

This team will remain "young" for at least the next 3 years... with more youngins on the way.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

MLB managers only make 4 or 5 million tops. In the grand scheme it's really not a ton of money. 2 or 3 percent of your team payroll and they have a decidedly larger impact on clubhouse integrity.

The risk of it causing a clubhouse issue, and/or a potential bidding war after the season is too big to take.

20. conquistador#11

what's taking so long. 12 years, $76.3 million. get it done.