1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros, Josh Hader agree to 5 year, $95 million contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 19, 2024.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Giving up a solid starter for a rental bat at catcher that Dusty wasn't going to play enough is a bad move.

Stephen66 and lnchan like this.
  2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

This is what I refer to as The Regime. A good to great sports "regime" translates to wins, playoffs, championships.

3. scott_summers

scott_summers Member

Yeah dude. People need to chill on the Bagwell hate. I get it he doesn't belong in the front office making decisions.
    For a long time he and Biggio were the faces of this franchise. Yes it sucked they didnt make it far in the playoffs. He was still the man to me when I was growing up.
    Put some respect on the Bagwell name!

IBTL, The Beard, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  4. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Could just be that Pressly's due for a bad postseason outing. He's great but no Mariano Rivera. And even he blew an important postseason save or two (2001 World Series Game 7, 2004 ALCS Game 4, both series clinching opportunities).

5. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Even Ohtani needs, at the bare minimum, a catcher to catch his balls (no, not those balls, get your mind out of the gutter).

Jake Tower likes this.
  6. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

You're missing his point and implying it was their fault. They also won the World Series during that time, so apparently that wasn't all that went on during that time.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Mr’s Lincoln. Since you pointed out my Jake mix ups.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Or Pressly is simply better in postseason situations...

The Beard likes this.
  9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

America's closer!!

Stephen66 and lnchan like this.
  10. Radricky

Radricky Member

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

TBF, Hader's only given up 1 postseason HR. But, yes - he did blow two games.

But!

You're cherry-picking an already small sample size. It's 19 innings, spread across five seasons - and you're focused on the two games - out of 16 - in which he's given up an earned run.

Overall, his ERA is 1.37. More importantly, his WHIP is .712 and his K/9 is 15.1, both of which are very much in line with his overall career numbers (.944 & 15) So he's been as good/slightly better in the postseason as he has been in the regular season.

Now, if you, or anyone, wants to hold a grudge that he didn't close out the godforsaken 2019 Washington Nationals, have it! But look what he's done in the postseason against the NL's best team (LA): 12.1 IP; 0 ER; 20 K. Josh Hader is going to be a-OK.

BTW, I mentioned WHIP because as nails as Pressly has been... he rarely makes it easy. He's given up 32 hits & walked 14 in 44.2 IP. It's not apples to apples, and I know all the pitfalls of projecting postseason numbers - but to illustrate: Hader's #s - if he had 44.2 IP: 23 & 9 (not to mention 76 Ks).

I love Ryan Pressly. I questioned whether, given his postseason #s, he might be the best closer in team history. But being able to push that guy to the 8th, and Abreu to the 7th... and/or mix all it up because three elite arms are interchangeable... That is going to be such a weapon come October, I believe.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Abreu, Pressly, and Hader should all have WWE style walk ups every game this season. Also Framber's warm up song should be Insane in the membrane while he wears a Hannibal Lecter mask.

14. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Abreu was not better than Bell last year.

https://stathead.com/baseball/versu...source=br&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=belljo02

Yes it was marginally better but was still better.

1. Bell played much better once he got out of Cleveland. It took Abreu to finally admit he had a back injury and get it treated/rest for him to come alive. I would rather not have an injured player.

2. Bell is cheaper than Abreu. (16.5 vs. 19.5) with only 2 years vs 3. Net of 25.5 more for Abreu. I also think that Bell wanted to come to Houston and we probably could have gotten him slightly cheaper than the 16.5.

3. Bell is a switch hitter and while both bat better from the right side in almost the same number of games and plate appearances Bell was better.

vs. LHP (OPS): .854 for Bell/. .740 for Abreu

RHP: .697 vs. .653 (slight edge)

4. Bell is 6 years younger.

5. I also don't think Bell would have the stupid lineup requirements that Abreu has (play everyday and be in the top of the order). Right now I am not batting Abreu in the top 5. Maybe 6 but probably 7. The only people I bat lower than him are Meyers and Pena. Interested to see how that plays out.

I wanted Bell last off season and would still take him over Abreu now.

#294 MAstroS, Jan 31, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I wasn’t talking about last season - I was talking about the recent seasons they had entering free agency.

I personally would rather have Abreu this season, but it’s possible Bell will be better this year.

J_Hunter_1977, MAstroS and Wulaw Horn like this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

IMG_9836.jpeg Gotta love it!

ROCKSS, ryan_98, The Beard and 4 others like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

? Mrs Lincoln went to the play, Mrs Kennedy was in the parade.

Since we're pointing out mixups and all...

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Josh Hader easily has the most absurd listed height I have ever seen in my life, and that includes the NBA.

By every official source he is listed at 5'11....an inch shorter than the 6'0 Bregman (LOL on that one too)

mikol13 and Astrofan59 like this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Hahaha. I read that as play because that’s how I have always hear the expression. That’s awesome. I’m a dumb dumb.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Those are the era's that Hader had in 2021 and 2023.

IBTL likes this.