1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's the hope. I just am not quite ready to absolve all of Kuechel's issues on a phantom injury that he never told anybody about.

I also feel it's entirely possible for him to sustain another overuse type injury.

Best case scenario is that he has a Kluber bounce back year... even though Kluber was better in his "off" year.

2. Buck Turgidson

Oh, bullshit. You're smarter than that.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're right... especially since I meant to type pre-season... and it somehow got autocorrected to phantom.

Or maybe it was freudian.

Regardless, something was clearly off with him... but it still allowed him to pitch. Most guys pitch through 'something'. If his shoulder gets healed, what's to say his back/elbow/groin is guaranteed to hold up? He's pitched a ton, and he does rely entirely on perfect control/mechanics, which does require everything to be mostly "right".

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If they accept any of the non-Bregman packages listed below, I would pull the trigger. As he writes, some aren't necessarily enough--so there's clearly an order in which I would propose them and a preferred package. And I'd do everything I could to try and force it to be package 5 and NOT to be package 1.

http://insider.espn.com/blog/the-gms-office/insider/post?id=13713

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If they could do package 2, 4 or 5 and haven't.....we have a problem

kaleidosky likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Don't sleep on Perez.

Do they automatically value Musgrove over Martes? I always figured the latter had the stuff that "could" be an ace, but he could also end up as a bullpen guy.

Also, I suppose it matters a tad as to what the White Sox want.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Elsewhere on The InterWebs it said that the White Sox are now looking for bats since in their last two big trade they got pitching.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Kyle Tucker, AJ REED, Derek Fisher.. If there is a better bat to throw instead of one Fisher do that. Would we be okay with that? Or not good enough and they want pitching still as well?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Agree, I would consider any of 1,2,4,and5 a relative steal for Houston.

the shark likes this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

I agree!!!!

Pull the trigger Luhnow!!

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Pull the trigger on what?? We have no idea what's actually being discussed.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. the shark

the shark Member

If any of those combo of prospects are being thrown around in order to get it done pull the trigger.

13. vick

vick Member

To bad Morey can not make the deal.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

lol.

Quintana would already be an Astro if any of those packages (sans #3) were acceptable by CWS.

texans1095 likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is a decent chance the Astros would do scenario 1 before scenario 4. I could be very wrong about this, but I suspect Astros value Tucker now about where they valued Bregman (maybe even moreso) at this time last year. Granted, Bregman had a huge power spike in minors last year to raise his already high perceived expected value. Tucker started hitting for more power in second half of last year even before Lancaster. I think Lancaster can mask power development sometimes as so many guys have higher numbers there that legitimate improvement is seen as "just Lancaster numbers".

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Those are the types of deals I'm hoping the team will make. Package #2: Martes, Paulino, & Teoscar would be amazing. You could even through plenty of change in there.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think this, more than Tucker, is the sticking point for the Astros: I can see them balking at giving up both pitchers. Musgrove was, essentially, a 1.5 WAR starter last year (actual: 0.6 in 10 starts). If you assume improvement and 25 starts... he projects to be a 2+ WAR pitcher, which is exactly what Quintana was in his first full season (2.5). That has tremendous value in 2017.

So you're trading a (potential) Quintana-like starter, who's 23 (same age as Quintana's first full season) + a high-end pitching prospect who could, like Musgrove, potentially post a .5(+) WAR in 2017 for what is (probably) the back-half of Quintana's prime. Likely a short-term advantage but could be a significant long-term disadvanatge.

I'm all-in for Quintana - but I (now) get why the Astros likely see both pitchers as too steep a price.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

This is a year for contention. It's also not like Quintana is gone after one or even two years. I just can't see the reasoning. You basically just said you it would be like getting Quintana for two pitchers who MIGHT be Quintana eventually. When contending, take the sure thing.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm down with them paying significantly to acquire Quintana. But Joe Musgrove is almost certainly going to impact the 2017 season. He has the potential to be a very good BOR starter right now, which would represent an upgrade if he were taking starts from the likes of Fister, Fiers, etc. If he improves year-to-year, he'll be a 4+ WAR pitcher in 2-3 years when Quintana likely will not. If Martes realize a similar trajectory, you're talking about two Quintanas - cheap and under contract for years.

*And* they want our top hitting prospect?

That's a steeeeeeeeeep price and I can certainly understand the Astros' reluctance.

houstonstime likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Biggest question marks are Musgrove's and Martes' true ceilings. I've heard mixed projections. Of course its a no-brainer to keep them when we're thinking one of them ends up as a TOR starter... but given that unlikelihood, and the high flame-out/injury risk of young pitchers, its certainly enticing to go after the sure thing while this team is squarely in a contending window.

I think they're going to make an aggressive push to get a deal done... with somebody... but there is a possibility they'll have to pay more at the deadline, or if one of their current starters suffers an injury that puts them in a "must make a move" type position to not completely waste this season.