1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Carlos Beltran

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

He played better this past year. He is one of many ball players pushing Father Time and playing well past what would be the norm. I think he'd help bridge the Astros till the current core start demanding 100's of millions of dollars each.

I would not jump for joy about him signing with the Astros. And depending on contract length and money he'd demand, would wait and see if he'd be worth signing.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Beltran can kiss it!

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

McCann & Beltran 2016! #MAGA ;):rolleyes:

Rodman23 likes this.
  4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good trade. A more stable bat than Castro. I thought Castro was the future...but he fell off harder than 2001 richard hidalgo.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

I hear Manny and ARod are available.:oops:

FEDEXROCKETS13 likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://nypost.com/2016/11/22/yankees-have-heavy-company-in-carlos-beltran-sweepstakes/

The perception of executives inquiring is the Yankees, Red Sox and Astros are the most competitive teams for Carlos Beltran, with perhaps the Rangers lurking to try to retain him.

The executives say that beyond the obvious – Beltran, even with his 40th birthday approaching in April, remains a high-end switch-hitter – he is attractive because he has no draft pick compensation attached to him and probably could be had on a one-year deal that falls in the $15 million-to-$18 million range.

Of course, if the bidding is intense, perhaps a team will have to distinguish itself by adding an option or multiple years.

For the Yankees, Beltran would be the regular DH and provided some right field protection should Aaron Judge and Aaron Hicks be unable to handle the responsibility.

For the Red Sox, Beltran would succeed David Ortiz as the DH. He also would be the DH for the Astros and join newcomers Brian McCann and Josh Reddick in giving Houston lefty diversification and a more veteran presence in the clubhouse.​

8. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I hope we finally sign him, and put the bad blood behind us. Lets finish what wasn't finished in 2004. Come home Carlos!

Yaosthirdleg and thaGREATwall like this.
  9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

FK carlos beltran

rather bring back Dotel, Buck, Irog and Manzella than beltran

he screwed us over once, and his last team was the rangers

F Him

11. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I feel like it's time to move on. I was bummed when we didn't get him, and he was a decent player for the Mets. I don't think he would have pushed us over the edge in '05, and I'm not too sure he fit our tiny window anyway.

Pick him up and win a ring.

newAge_Rockets likes this.
  12. newAge_Rockets

Reddick can't hit lefties, sign Beltran up to counter that and also so he can potentially take 1B/DH at bats as well.

13. msn

msn Member

No ill will here. If he's an Astro, I'll support him.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

$15-18M? I'm out

Use that money to take on Verlanders contract and minimize prospect cost.

15. Progs

Progs Member

Astros offense would be versatile and best in the Majors.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This might signal that Verlander is a bridge too far, for Luhnow.

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

FCK Carlos Beltran. That being said, a switch-hitting power DH would be HUGE for this team.

Rodman23 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Depends on the remainder of the Astros plans. It is a one year deal.

Has the owner said go in 100% in 2017? Are there other players they can get on a one year deal at that money that will help the team more?

Do the Astros intend to hold onto all their prospects and move them for a pitcher already under contract?

Beltran is a good fit for the Astros. He can play multiple spots and DH and provide a potent bat in the middle of the line up.

Beltran/Reddick/Gattis/Springer/Bregman/Correa/Altuve/Gurriel/McCann is a VERY deep 1-9 to trot out 2-3 times a week.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I was just as upset as anyone when he went to the Mets, but it's not like he owed it to us to stay here. He was traded here, and spent like 4 months here. I wish he hadn't strung us along until literally the final hour, but it is what it is. He would fill a massive hole in our lineup, so if he signs here, I'd be stoked.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

Nope the Cubs will still be a lot better.

We'll be damn good though.