1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros fire Bo Porter

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Sep 1, 2014.

?

Do you agree with the decision to fire Bo Porter?

1. Yes, not a minute more of Porter

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Yes, but I would have let him finish the year before firing him

21 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. No, he deserved at least one more year

38 vote(s)
    39.6%
  4. I abstain, courteously

10 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Altuve can't go anywhere until 2018 even if he wanted to, and 2020 for Springer.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think this was a bad move.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What a ridiculous post.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think they did OK by Bo Porter. They owned the win/loss record and just said it was for other reasons.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You should see the fans in LA. Houston is a great sports town.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Interim

LA has iconic teams who actually win. Houston sucks

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not on their own

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That will depend on what you define as a "real manager"

I doubt they go with somebody with a lot of experience (i.e. opinions). By all accounts, Porter got the job because he was more of a yes-man that the front office felt would do anything to get/keep the job (and could be "molded")... was also a younger guy who could relate to the players well.

Chances are they go even further with this route... probably get somebody who's either never managed, or is desperate enough for a job to get back in the game that he won't ruffle any feathers.

For that last scenario, I present Craig Biggio or Art Howe.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Porter was an awful manager... an awful choice from the start. I'm almost glad his ego got in the way of doing what he was "supposed" to be doing. Saves him from making even more mistakes when this team is actually supposed to be good.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What was the point. The astros had like a 13 million dollar payroll last year and it probably isn't that much different this year when you take take out feldman, They aren't trying to compete. Didn't Jeff hire Bo?

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Craig Biggio probably can get real baseball job if he wanted. If he cared about his future I doubt he would touch the astros with a 10ft pole. I would be surprised if anyone who had any options or cared about their future would touch this job.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Can't wait to see what you say when candidates refuse to work here.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It won't be hard to find a manager that buys into the system.

But I agree, I doubt it would be Biggio. While he would be a great PR hire, Biggio is an icon here, and he can't be handled as flippantly as Porter was. Biggio would only work if he were fully on board with the numbers game, and he strikes me as an old school type.

14. tigereye

tigereye Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hardly surprising. Overmatched as a manager on field & in clubhouse. “@EvanDrellich: Bo Porter fired."</p>&mdash; Keith Law (@KeithLaw) <a href="https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/506482056315285504">September 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

This post sums it up. This isn't about wins & loses. Making poor managerial judgements is one thing. Trying to get your boss fired by going to the owner of your company is a good example of poor decision making by Porter. Considering that it's Sepember call up season time, I can see why the pulled the trigger on firing Porter now. As a GM, why would I want to bring my prospects into a potentially toxic environment stirred on by their manager?

However, I think Crane gave Luhnow the dreaded "vote of confidence" in this too. With higher ticket costs and possibly CSN/Root Sports Houston deal, it will be interesting to see if we have a larger payroll to work with next season. A larger payroll plus more prospects called up and a manager more in-line with Luhnow could equal .500 or playoff contention ....or if worse, it could mean the end for Luhnow, Sig, & the Ground Control experiment.

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

What do you mean? Houston has only 2 major pro sports championships in all of it's years of sporting teams in each of the major sports. Don't get me wrong, I love this city and I support the teams. But we're almost as bad as Cleveland.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Porter got a raw deal. They couldn't wait until the end of the season?

The Astros gave Porter pure trash to put on the field. I hope Porter gets a shot with another team. He seemed like a likable guy from the outside looking in, and I don't see how anyone could say he did a poor job. He had less to work with than anyone else in baseball.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL MAKE IT STOP!!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Heading to the Astros third managerial dismissal presser in five years.</p>&mdash; Alyson Footer (@alysonfooter) <a href="https://twitter.com/alysonfooter/statuses/506505042954706944">September 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While winning us impossible with this squad, he certainly made frequently poor decisions. He also seemed to show a general lack of rulebook knowledge on more than one occasion.

19. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Jeff Luhnow is an a**hole, plain and simple

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Feel free to let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.