1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Fanfest, College Classic set for this weekend.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Feb 5, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

HOUSTON* -- The Houston Astros will host the annual Astros FanFest on February 10-11. FanFest events will take place throughout the main concourse of Minute Maid Park, including Astros autographs and photographs, Talkin' Baseball seminars with Astros Broadcasters and staff, sports cards and memorabilia sales, and the Houston College Classic (Feb. 9-11), presented by Continental Airlines, the Houston Chronicle and the Hyatt Regency.
    FanFest will run from 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 10) and 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. on Sunday (Feb. 11). Daily admission tickets are $13 per day for adults and $6 for children ages 4-14 and may be purchased at the Minute Maid Park Box Office on Texas Avenue. Daily admission on the Club Level is $20 for adults and $10 for children. Advance, three-day packages for Friday, Saturday and Sunday are $30 for adults and $15 for kids (ages 4-14). Tickets are also available online at www.astros.com, by phone toll free at 1-800-ASTROS2, or at any of the Astros Ticketmaster outlets located at Macy's, Fiesta, HEB, Wherehouse Music, and Verizon Wireless Theatre. FanFest tickets are also good for admission to the Houston College Classic baseball games on that day.

The Houston College Classic will start Friday, Feb. 9, with a game between Vanderbilt and Rice that begins at noon. Gates open at 11:00 a.m. on Friday.

Fans are encouraged to stay at the Hyatt Regency hotel in downtown Houston, the preferred hotel of the Houston College Classic. The hotel is offering special Houston College Classic rates, and fans can reach the Hyatt Regency by calling (713) 654-1234.

The following is an overview of the 2007 Astros FanFest:

ASTROS FANFEST HIGHLIGHTS

ASTROS AUTOGRAPHS
    • AUTOGRAPH TICKET SALES: TICKET WINDOWS AT THE LEFT FIELD AND CENTER FIELD ENTRANCES ON CRAWFORD STREET
    • PLAYER AUTOGRAPH BOOTH LOCATION: 9 AMIGOS RESTAURANT - CENTER FIELD

• Fans wanting autographs of their favorite Astros must purchase a *$10 ticket for a session at the designated Autograph Ticket Sales Windows at the Left Field and Center Field Entrances on Crawford Street. *Autograph ticket prices for Jeff Bagwell - $25, for Nolan Ryan - $50.
    • Only 300 total tickets will be sold for each autograph session. The first 300 fans in each line will receive a wristband. Limit one wristband per person. Fans must have a valid College Classic/FanFest ticket for that day to enter the line. Sales of Autograph Tickets are limited to fans three years or older.
    • Tickets for all autograph sessions on Saturday (Feb. 10) go on sale at 9:00 a.m.
    • Tickets for all autograph sessions on Sunday (Feb. 11) go on sale at 9:00 a.m.
    • All proceeds benefit the Astros in Action Foundation.

• The scheduled autograph sessions are listed below and are subject to change.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 10
    10:00-10:50 a.m. -- Drayton McLane, Milo Hamilton, Brett Dolan, and Dave Raymond -- FREE SESSION
    11:00-11:50 p.m. -- Craig Biggio and Phil Garner
    12:00-1:30 p.m. -- Nolan Ryan (Champions Pavilion - Mezzanine Level)
    12:00-12:50 p.m. -- Jason Jennings, Cecil Cooper (9 Amigos)
    1:00-1:50 p.m. -- Chad Qualls, Orlando Palmeiro
    2:00-2:50 p.m. -- Adam Everett, Dave Borkowski
    3:00-3:50 p.m. -- Jeff Bagwell (Champions Pavilion - Mezzanine Level)
    4:00-4:50 p.m. -- Jason Lane, Charlton Jimerson

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 11
    11:00-11:50 a.m. -- Matt Albers, Brandon Backe
    12:00-12:50 p.m. -- Morgan Ensberg, Trever Miller
    1:00-1:50 p.m. -- Chris Burke, Dan Wheeler
    2:00-2:50 p.m. -- Carlos Lee
    3:00-3:50 p.m. -- Woody Williams, Chris Sampson

ASTROS ALUMNI AUTOGRAPHS
    • In addition to autographs from current Astros players and coaches, fans will have the opportunity to get FREE autographs from former Houston Astros and Colt .45s greats throughout the weekend. Astros alumni scheduled to appear include: J.R. Richard, Larry Dierker, Jimmy Wynn, and Enos Cabell. Visit www.astros.com for a complete schedule.

ASTROS PHOTOGRAPHS
    • Fans can take a FREE photograph with their favorite Astros or get a souvenir photo for $10.00. (Proceeds benefit the Astros in Action Foundation).
    • Each of the autograph sessions listed above will take photographs in the Photo Booth for 50 minutes upon completion of signing autographs. For example, Craig Biggio and Phil Garner will sign autographs from 11:00-11:50 a.m. on Saturday (as listed above) and take photographs from 12:00-12:50 p.m. (Schedule subject to change. Log on to www.astros.com for schedule changes or additions).*

*Nolan Ryan will not appear in photo booth.

TALKIN' BASEBALL SEMINARS
    • Fans can ask questions of Astros players, staff, and broadcasters in interactive discussions on a variety of baseball topics.
    • This year's Talkin' Baseball Seminars include:

Feb. 10
    11:00-11:50 p.m. -- Coaching for Coaches Clinic
    Speakers: Cecil Cooper, Mark Bailey
    MC: TV Broadcaster Bill Brown

1:15-2:15 p.m. -- The Astros in 2007
    Speakers: Astros Owner Drayton McLane, General Manager Tim Purpura, Manager Phil Garner
    MC: Hall of Fame Broadcaster Milo Hamilton

2:15-3:15 p.m. -- Baseball America/Scouting
    Speakers: Astros Senior Director of Player Personnel Paul Ricciarini, Baseball America's Executive Editor Jim Callis
    MC: Radio Broadcaster Brett Dolan

3:15-4:15 p.m. -- Up Close and Personal with Milo Hamilton
    • Hall of Fame Broadcaster Milo Hamilton will visit with fans about his career.
    MC: Ted Deluca, ESPN 790 AM Radio Host

4:15-5:15 p.m. -- Baseball 101
    Speakers: Astros Tour Department
    MC: Radio Broadcaster Dave Raymond

Feb. 11
    10:00-10:50 p.m. -- Baseball 101
    Speakers: Astros Tour Department
    MC: Radio Broadcaster Brett Dolan

11:00-11:50 p.m. -- Up Close and Personal with Milo Hamilton
    • Hall of Fame Broadcaster Milo Hamilton will visit with fans about his career.
    MC: TBD

12:00-12:50 p.m. -- Round Table Discussion on the 2007 Season
    Speakers: Astros Broadcasters
    MC: Hall of Fame Broadcaster Milo Hamilton, TV Broadcasters Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies, and Radio Broadcasters Brett Dolan and Dave Raymond

1:00-1:50 p.m. -- Astros "Sing the National Anthem" Sweepstakes

3:00-3:50 p.m. -- Hear about the Astros Minor League System
    Speakers: Astros Assistant General Managers Ricky Bennett and Dave Gottfried
    MC: Radio Broadcaster Dave Raymond

BASEBALL CARD AND MEMORABILIA SHOW
    • Put on by TriStar Productions, the show will feature dozens of exhibitors of trading cards and sports memorabilia. See tristarproductions.com for more information.
    • Yu-Gi-Oh! Tournament, managed by SPORTSCARD SHACK - Located in the Union Station Lobby.

HOUSTON COLLEGE CLASSIC
    • Watch some of the best college baseball teams compete against each other in Minute Maid Park.
    • The nine-game Houston College Classic begins Friday (Feb. 9) and runs through Sunday (Feb. 11).
    • Teams: Houston, Rice, Texas A&M, Baylor, Vanderbilt and Arizona State

College Classic Schedule:
    Friday, Feb. 9
    GATES OPEN AT 11 a.m.
    Vanderbilt vs. Rice, noon
    Texas A&M vs. Arizona State, 3:30 p.m.
    Baylor vs. Houston, 7 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 10
    GATES OPEN AT 10 a.m.
    Vanderbilt vs. Arizona State, noon
    Texas A&M vs. Houston, 3:30 p.m.
    Baylor vs. Rice, 7 p.m.

Sunday, Feb. 11
    GATES OPEN AT 9 a.m.
    Arizona State vs. Houston, 11 a.m.
    Baylor vs. Vanderbilt, 2:30 p.m.
    Texas A&M vs. Rice, 6 p.m.

ASTROS IN ACTION FOUNDATION FUNDRAISERS
    • Silent Auction - Fans can bid on autographed jerseys, balls, and other sports merchandise in section 107/108.
    • Astros Garage Sale - Astros promotional merchandise and "Memory Lane" autographed items beginning at just $0.25. (Main Concourse near Right Field)
    • Astros Grab Bags - For a donation of $40, fans have a chance to receive Astros current and/or former player-autographed items, in addition to other Astros goodies.

FREE FUN ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
    • Astros mascots-Junction Jack, Junction Julie, and Cousin Jessie
    • Coca-Cola Park Patrol
    • Face Painters, Clowns, and Balloon Artists
    • Speed Pitch Machine
    • Inflatable Games

MICKEY MANTLE EXHIBIT
    • GGG Sports and the Recycled Baseball Items Foundation will sponsor Mr. Randall Swearingen's Mickey Mantle Exhibit.
    • The exhibit includes Mantle's NYY road jersey that he wore when he got the first hit and home run in the Astrodome (April 9, 1965). Other items in the showcase include his 1955 American League Championship ring, his 1956 Player of the Year trophy, his custom-built Harley Davidson, and many other pieces of Mickey Mantle memorabilia.

INFORMATIONAL BOOTHS
    • Astros Buddies Club
    • Saving Animals Across Borders - Astros Pet Calendar Sales
    • Astros Season Tickets
    • Minute Maid Park Tours
    • mlb.com
    • Grand Slam for Youth Baseball
    • Houston Chronicle
    • Baseball America

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Oh man, I hope I can get Jason Lane's autograph!

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'll be there to watch the Vanderbilt games. They have a very good team. It should be a fun weekend to catch some baseball.

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Oh, GO COOGS! Bring on those Baylor Bears.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Awesome...I'm in town too...

6. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I have been meaning to check this out. I think I can finally do it this year. I ahven't heard anything about this until I saw this post.

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Actually, that is a really good lineup of college games. I'm going to try to catch as many of them as possible.

8. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You wouldn't even be posting if Vandy wasn't playing. ;)

10. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

A few of my buddies will be playing:

Brandon Hicks, SS for Texas A&M. HUGE for a SS, 6'3 200. There is talk that he may be BIG 12 newcomer of the year. Played at Sam Rayburn HS then played 2 years at San Jac. Big bat and GREAT glove! Got calls as early as the 5th round in last years draft....supposedly asking for too much money, which scared teams away.

Jon Runnels. LHP for Rice. Not very big yet, but I hear he's getting bigger with Rice's workout program. Played at Sam Rayburn HS then played 2 years at San Jac. Throws 88-90 with a nasty change-up and good curveball. Got drafted after 1 year at Jac in the 36th round, but never signed. Has had arm trouble, but is solid on the mound.

Dustin Kingsbury, 3B for UH. Coverted SS but because of his size got moved to 3rd. Played at Sam Rayburn HS then went to UH. Solid bat, but doesnt hit for enough power for a 3-5 hole hitter. Should get drafted after this year....IF he works on his game and doesnt get lazy.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I'll be at the UH-aggy game on Saturday man I sure hope those aggy fans wear those #12 jerseys that is always fun.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

That is my reason for going to the games. The Vandy program has really developed into a solid program in recent years and enters the season as a team top 10 by Baseball America in their preview http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/07collegepreview.pdf and is currently ranked 5th in the Rivals rankings http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1169&CID=627294

So obviously I'm quite excited about the season.

However, besides Vandy, the lineup of college teams is very impressive. I look forward to seeing Rice and some of the other teams (Arizona State, Baylor, UH and Texas A&M are in it as well).

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Of course, Vandy hasn't played a game yet and some teams could end up better than expected or worse than expected, etc... but I think they have a very good chance at a great season.

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Probably would have made more sense to phrase that in addition to (not besides).

It looks like Gerry Hunsicker is going to be there this weekend to scout David Price vs Rice for Tampa Bay. Under Rays Rumblings http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/04/Rays/Rays_not_rushing_to_r.shtml
    They should have him an autograph session as well :).

For anyone that has gone to these things in recent years, how crowded are the games? Are most people at the autograph sessions and not the games, or quite a few people at the games too? It is general admission, hopefully I can get a good seat.

15. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

i played basketball with brandon hicks at rayburn, well he was in varsity and i was JV, o and i know Jon Runnels too, never talked to em tho

16. Joshaaronb

Joshaaronb Member

looking for the Bears to sweep through the Cougs and the Owls on consecutive nights.

17. W-Mac

I went to Rayburn, '02 grad. Played basketball and baseball. McGrew...

18. BrieflySpeaking

ooh, cant really remember by names of that class, im 05' so i was barely a freshman when u were playing

19. W-Mac

what was your name?

20. BrieflySpeaking

cortez...i was like always trying to dunk, i could grab the rim tho, i remember there was 2 tall varsity dudes tellin me i couldnt lol