1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros extend qualifying offer to Colby Rasmus

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Not a huge fan of that line up. Tucker would be dealt if there isn't a spot for him long term. Personally not a big fan of Davis.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

He might not get much more than 15.8 mil in a multi year deal.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Astros have A.J. Reed, the minor league player of the year at 1B. It would be pointless to go out and sign a 1B to a multi-year deal. Astros sign Rasnus or any LF in free agency, Tucker will be dealt.

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Reed will start at triple A, and i think he will take Gattis spot if we get a 1b.

I've said for a long time now that Morneau would be a great fix for us as a 1 year gap between Reed and our first basemen. He is injury prone, i know but is just a 1 year deal, and if it does not work out then we can bring Reed up, Singleton or Carter.

I would give Gattis a short leash because we have other options, including Tucker.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

We have Moran at double A, should be in triple a next year, and in the lineup in 2017, i see Valbuena/Lowrie as stop gaps for 1 year.
    Now, i do agree with you about 7th spot, i don't like the at bats Gattis gives us and does not helps on the field. For some reason he played the whole year at DH instead of giving Tucker or others opportunities especially against right handed starters.
    But, he will be given the job AGAIN, but hopefully he has a short leash in 2016 because we have other options.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nick Markakis got 3/$33M last offseason, despite being older, slightly worse offensively, and more limited defensively.

Rasmus limited his market last season because things ended poorly with the Blue Jays and was seen as a malcontent. Things that were not an issue in Houston, so hopefully the market will reward him.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the Astros can turn an $8 million investment in Colby Rasmus into a quasi-decent regular season, some terrific playoff memories AND a compensatory pick, I'd call that a remarkable success.

If Rasmus re-signs, I'd also be happy. Having him, Gomez, Springer and Marisnick gives the Astros an embarrassment of riches with outfield defense, and Colby should still be good for another 20-25 HRs per season.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Frugality and playing the percentages in a similar manner to Daryl Morey. Rasmus is frustrating because he swings and misses a lot of pitches in the strike zone. I also don't think his defense is as good as others. However he hits with power, has shown the ability to hit good pitching and can play all three outfield spots and can run some. His weaknesses were accentuated here because we have so many swing and miss players; but Colby is a solid player and did well for the Astros and was a steal at $8,000,000. If he turns into a compensation pick, that is huge. Not just because it is another #1 but because of the increased pool money. Luhnow can be very crafty and that additional money would give him flexibility to get a tough to sign kid or two.

9. vince

vince Member

If Rasmus accepts and takes the Money, it's all good. Rasmus is an above average outfielder and a great 5-8 hitter. Is 15.8 million too much? Maybe, but this is baseball where everyone is over paid. At least it would be a one year deal.

Unlike Carlos lee who had that 20+ million a year salary for years. And his production was ho-hummmm.

And if he signs elsewhere, then the Astros get a 1st round pick.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cDGC0QweqQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. dwood21

dwood21 Member

Really Cool. Thanks for posting!

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Thanks Commodore, that was Awesome!

13. the shark

the shark Member

WOW....Awesome!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this Commodore!!