1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros expected to trade Robertson and Saarloos before the season starts

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DoitDickau, Mar 29, 2004.

1. TheRoot

TheRoot Member

I would be willing to wager that the Rangers would give us Soriano for these two guys.

2. franchise?..NOT

Hunsiker on radio as saying he has spent two years trying to re-build the pitching in the minors and he is not about to trade either guy unless he is blown away by a proposal.

Makes sense since Clemens is a rent a pitcher and the upside of either Robertson or Saarloos is likely to improve with a year of seasoning.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If you won your wager, where would he play? He might be a better option than the aged Bigg in center, but Bigg isn't going anywhere. He might be an upgrade over Hidalgo or Ensberg, but realistically, are you going to bench either? And, next year, he is due a huge boost from the 5 mil he's getting now.

Find a taker for RH for a passel of very good minor league prospects then maybe talk the deal.

4. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Unless we can get a Soriano-type in return (which will never happen), the Astros should just hang on to those guys. You can never have too much pitching depth, especially when your #3 pitcher is 40 years old.

5. fatman510

fatman510 Member

There is no point in trading Robertson now, with Clemens only pitching for us for 1 year. Saarloos, I would be willing to trade for middle relief help.
    I think Robertson has some potential though. He could be a good number 4 or 5 starter in a few years.
    This is our pitching staff as I imagine it in 4 years:
    1. Oswalt
    2. Miller
    3. Redding
    4. Bucholz
    5. Robertson

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No Hernandez?

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

While our farm system sucks big time, we do have some depth in terms of pitching. So I'm quite sure at least one of them will pan out, at least in terms of being better than Robertson.

Bigg can go to the bench. I don't care how much PR value Bigg has, there's no way any sane fan would prefer him out there over Sorino. Also, we can always move Everett out and play him at SS. No, his defense will likely be below average, but his offense more than makes up for it.

Of course, since the Rangers have *ZERO* chance of trading him for Robertson, it's a moot point.

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I don't know how I feel about Robertson asking for a trade.

Hoping for a trade (Scroll down)

Although Jeriome Robertson could see the move coming, it took him 24 hours to sort out his disappointment well enough for him to speak publicly about being optioned to Class AAA New Orleans. Now, he just hopes another major-league team steps up and acquires him via trade.

The Expos, Tigers and Blue Jays have sought pitching, and Robertson hopes his club-leading 15 victories as a rookie last year can entice a team to give up a prospect or two for him.

"If it takes a trade to give me the opportunity to perform in the big leagues and help somebody win a championship, that's what I feel I should do," he said Tuesday, a day after he was one of four players optioned or reassigned to New Orleans. "I think I belong in the big leagues."

Robertson was 15-9 with a 5.10 ERA last year while leading all rookies in starts (31) and victories. If he isn't traded, he will stay in New Orleans, where he was the pitcher of the year in 2002 after going 12-8 with a 2.55 ERA.

"The Houston organization has been a big part of me growing as a professional," Robertson said. "I've been with them nine years, and the organization has always been good to me. This is the first situation I've ever been put into where I feel like it could be hindering my potential as a major-league player.

"Maybe it came to a point with the Astros organization that they have the quality pitching they need. With the things I did the last couple of years, numbers wise, I feel I deserve better."

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Robertson is starting to come across as a bit of a whiner.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i understand him being upset...as a competitor...a guy who has likely been "the man" on every level he pitched at growing up. frankly, i don't want him to be happy with it. but on this staff, there's no way he cracks the starting rotation without an injury.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Max,

In that, I like Robertson. He cares and he is a competitor. He doesn't have to like it, but I am sure his wanting to be traded to a team that will give him a spot as a starter is not going to win him friends in the Astros clubhouse. Especially since his rookie year was relatively mediocre.

Odds are, he will be needed sometime this year, since its likely one of the 5 starts could miss a start or two. He should go down, continue to improve himself at AAA and then do his best when he is called up to fill in for one of the starters.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

wow Robertson turned 27 yesterday. I thought he was one of the "young guns" didn't realize he was of that age. I thought maybe he just needs a little more work in the minor leagues, but he has already been with the team for 9 years..

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Argh no edit.. my point of that was he has been with the team 9 years so I can see him wanting to be with a team he can be in the big leagues on now. I for some reason thought he was a lot younger

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

The Astros have just made a trade. More details to come as it is released!

15. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Jeriome Roberston traded to Cleveland for Tavares.

16. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Robertson traded to Indians for Tavares and an outfielder.

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

#37 RocketFan007, Mar 31, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  18. coma

coma Contributing Member

mlb.com

Indians and Astros complete trade for LHP Jeriome Robertson

CLEVELAND, OH --- The Cleveland Indians today announced they have acquired LHP JERIOME ROBERTSON from the Houston Astros in exchange for OF LUKE SCOTT and the rights to OF WILLY TAVERAS.

Robertson, who turned 27 yesterday, led all major league rookies in wins in 2003 with Houston, going 15-9 with a 5.10 ERA in 32 appearances/31 starts (160.2IP, 180H, 91ER, 64BB, 99SO). The Exeter, CA native also finished tied for the major league lead in starts (31) by a rookie as his 15 wins led the entire Houston pitching staff and were tied for 9th overall in the entire National League. Robertson went 1-1 with a 3.60 ERA in 5 spring outings in 2004 (2GS, 10.0IP, 13H, 4ER) and was recently optioned to AAA New Orleans after Houston's off-season additions of Andy Pettitte & Rogers Clemens. His option has been transferred to AAA Buffalo, but where he opens the 2004 season is yet to be determined.

Taveras was selected by Houston in the Major League portion of the Rule V Draft in December of 2003 and is now the sole property of the Houston Astros. Scott split the 2003 season between AA Akron & A Kinston.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

taveras looks like a very interesting prospect. .282 avg, 52 BBs in 449 PAs, 57:eek: SBs and only 12 CS. very little power though only 17 extra base hits in 397 ABs.