1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Astros) Dave Smith Died

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

bob knepper is alive and hating on women.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, where did I get that from??

3. msn

msn Member

I agree that Knepp's comments were reprehensible and just neanderthal, but it's scary to me that generally folks are remembered only for what's worst about them.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

well, he was a fairly mediocre pitcher. and, really, what he said was just flat-out crazytown:

that's some major league hatin' right there. you throw that kind of looney down on the public, they're gonna remember it for a while.....

5. msn

msn Member

True and true. But far greater athletes are more remembered for their wickedness than their performance, and I'm not saying that's bad.

What I meant by "scary" is that one can really screw up a good legacy by making bad choices.

6. Win

Win Contributing Member

Lets get this thread back on track. Knepper is a dumb ass! Dave Smith was a Bad Ass! As a long time Astro fan I'd have to say Dave Smith is my all time favorite closer. No one hear might remember Jim Ray before him, but he would be #2 favorite. RIP Dave, and Thank you.

7. msn

msn Member

Do you mean Fred Gladding? Ray never even led the team in saves. Did he finish up a lot of games the starters lost?

8. Win

Win Contributing Member

No MSN, I mean Ray... Just a personal favorite for some reason as a kid. What was that Astro anouncers name? Lowell? Something Lowell.... I would listen to the games on the radio and I think he used to refer to Ray as The Stinger and inevitably say 'now your chucking them in there'.

Fred 'Flinstone' Gladding.... Ha :cool:

9. msn

msn Member

Lowell Passe. He said that about Dierk a whole bunch, too. "NOW you chunkin' 'em in there!"

Elston/Passe. Good times. Harry Kalas was in there for a while, too. He was "third string". :D

10. Win

Win Contributing Member

Thanks for refreshing my memory, bro... 'Good times' indeed ;)

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

RIP Smitty....so young....

DD

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

When I was a kid we lived near Dave Smith. My little brother would go over to his apartment and get baseball cards signed all the time. He was a really nice guy. RIP