1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros blocked CSNHouston deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 15, 2013.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Is it just me or does Crane come across as completely unlikeable?

He is a PR nightmare.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2...rs-wont-blink-in-price-carriage-negotiations/

2. codell

Seriously, you draw a line in the sand and expect those who a) can't watch your games and b) stand to pay more once/if they can, to complain on your behalf so you can make more money?

WOW!

3. codell

Does anyone have any input on viewership numbers for the Rockets v. Astros?

IMO, Comcast and the Astros are going to lose most of their leverage for their 2013 season once the Rocket's season ends no?

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ugh, this is such bull****.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only for a little bit. The Rockets look to be a very good team next year.They will be adding at least one max player (or near max) and return a playoff team.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He is severely overrating the influence the Rockets and Astros availability will have on people's choices when it comes to cable/satellite.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Like I posted in the GARM, if "only a few customers" switched to Comcast to watch a good Rockets team, why are "thousands" going to switch to watch the worst team in baseball?

I think that people not switching, despite a desire to watch the Rockets and Astros, speaks to how truly awful Comcast is as a provider. Most Rockets/Astros fans would rather go without seeing their teams on TV than go back to Comcast.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

As terrible as the Astros are there is still a huge fan base, and baseball is everyday. I think there are a lot more Astros fans who want to watch that most think.

BUT crane has no idea how much people hate Comcast, most hate Comcast more than they love their teams. And crane saying "if we want to watch we can switch to Comcast" is arrogant and sickening. F him

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Living in a Time Warner market (central Texas) the Astros have no idea the damage they're doing to the brand. Since the RR Express went to the Rangers, greater Austin has progressively moved from brick and sand to royal blue. The radio affiliate in Austin already does a piss poor job of coverage. Take them off of tv here and you can go ahead an secede a majority of the state to the Rangers.

10. bdb

bdb Contributing Member

Make up your mind Crane?

Do you want 10 million, or do you want me to get Comcast?

Because I can't afford both.

2 people like this.
  11. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Few posts make me chuckle. This did.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Its already at a lost. At this point with the rockets season done I hope that they don't get a deal done and people miss the Astros season too. I know it's selfish but it will make those dicks at csn realize that they are charging too much and they get screwed on the deal like they deserve.

Plus, now with VLC I can get HD quality streams anyway hooked up to my tv using HDMI so I don't really care.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If you don't really care then why wish that people like me can't watch the Astros?

14. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Did anyone watch streams of the Astros last year that lived outside of the market? If so, how was the quality? Pretty much standard firstrowsports stuff?

15. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I miss the days when the Astros/rockets were on UPN. This whole thing is a disaster. A whole Rockets season has been missed. The Astros have by far the worst team in baseball most people don't care already if half the city can't even watch I'd say attendance will be by far and away the worst the league.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They absolutely need to get on TV.

But the novelty of the AL and rebranding will mean more tickets sold this season than last, regardless. Home series against the Yankees and Red Sox will sell like crazy. Angels and Rangers will be good draws, as well.

They'll still be towards the bottom...they were 28th out of 30 teams last season....but my guess is they'll finish closer to 24th out of 30, and sell around 1.8 million tickets.

17. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I think they would consider that a success. I'm less optimistic I just can't see attendance getting better until the Astros are the main attraction at the ballpark not the opposing teams. I think the move to AL has hurt an already non-caring fanbase and if the TV thing goes on for a while I think it will add to it.

Myself, I'll be there tonight!

18. Major

Major Member

This is the Longhorn Network all over again. These carriers are getting smarter and realizing it's insane to pay the prices that the networks are demanding. CSN has an advantage because of it's built-in partnership with Comcast - if they overprice it and DirecTV doesn't pay, Comcast is the one that benefits if people switch to them. But I think it's wise of the carriers to hold firm - the networks simply are overpriced right now.

19. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I think it's good that the mayor said something about the situation. I would really love for the mayor/city to do everything in their power to jack up the cost of the lease if possible. Whatever extra Crane expects to line his pockets with on a deal the city should make him pay double for pulling this bs.

If that makes him move the team then so be it. It wouldn't be long until we get another.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

crane has a projected revenue stream. he isn't making these moves willy nilly. i know i've complained about his pr but i don't have a problem with how he is running the team. it is beneficial in the long run, its how you have to run franchises in today's sports economy.

and remember, crane is no where near as individually wealthy as drayton. drayton was like the fourth richest owner in baseball, his net worth could afford some income lost seasons from the astros