1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Acquire Tejada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Major

Major Member

Sounds like Wade is building exactly what he built in Philly - power offense with no pitching. Hopefully he learns from that experience.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Havent really given it much thought, but whats the reasoning behind Pence at the 6 spot? I would have thought he would be batting before the big bats given his BA and speed.

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you know what, we were going to have terrible pitching even with those two. even you said that those two guys were guys who "could compete" to make the rotation.... in other words, neither one of those guys are sure things to even make the rotation, and even if they did it would probably be due to a complete lack of decent competition.

look, neither one of those guys were gonna be anything close to a solid #2 guy, or maybe even a #3. patton is a tier 2 prospect at best, and albers is way below him.... we didn't trade much, and we still have pieces to move that could bring in a decent arm or two.

luke scott is a fine enoug hplayer, but we just dont need him... why not ship him out for an allstar if you can?

i just get sick and tired of people wanting to hold on to these prospects - from the worst farm system in the league - because of potential.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I agree. I love getting Tejada, but is he the guy out of him, Pence, Berkman, & Lee that should be hitting 3rd?

5. tested911

tested911 Member

So was everyone overvaluing Everett's value? If were willing to let go of AE does that mean nobody wanted him? Honestly I'm glad he's gone but I couldn't stand his A$@ in the batters box but I did like his D. :confused:

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Wow, that's not bad. Add in Loretta, another good hitter, and we've got some firepower.

Now, about that pitching... Will Burke fetch us anything? What is our current rotation?

EDIT: Will Purpura be crying himself to sleep tonight? :)

7. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

another typical diastros move...

lets spread our talent (list is too long to name) around the league for a roided washed-up has been...

give up pitching and shelve Everett for Mr. Strikeout No D.

Great move!

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think the concern is that Everett's defense won't be the same after the broken leg. It's a very valid one. He was initially supposed to be back in 4-8 weeks... it took him about 14 weeks, and he looked terrible even running to first base at that point.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

LOL. You're a riot. "Talent?" None of those pitchers would even make the top 10 list for most teams... Orioles fans are depressed by it. Roided? There's something called innocent until proven guilty. Washed up? He had his best season in 2006, and he's 31 years old.

Mr. Strikeout... what?!? Tejada struck out only 55 times in 514 at-bats... he's one of the best power hitters in the league when it comes to not striking out! And no defense... 7th in zone rating, 18th in range factor... average, maybe, but I challenge you to provide evidence to this "no D."

10. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

in talent i meant this is one of many deals in which we've given up young "talent". Who knows these guys might suck, but our track record is pretty bad when it comes to trading away young talent.

11. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Is Berkman "washed-up" ? Tejada is a few months younger than him...

12. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

We have such a diverse line up now!

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I like the deal a lot. It's not lopsided, but I believe this will win us a few extra games next summer. You can replace at least 3 of the guys we moved without much trouble over the next couple of months.

Evan

14. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

Upon initial impression, I like the trade. All were mid-tier prospects (except for Patton) and because of the Bourn acquisition, Luke wasn't going to be playing anyway.

Patton's got some potential, but it was worth the risk.

Now MMP is really going to be like Coors Field when it first opened......get ready for alot of 10-8 and 9-7 games.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It sucks to be Mark Loretta right now. Didn't get a starting offer in FA, accepted arb and will only get about $2.5mil, and now it looks like he'll go from 130 games played to 50-60.

I bet he's wishing he didn't take arb now.

#115 xcrunner51, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

pence is probably better then tejada at this point in their careers. i'd bat him third.

my initial reaction is that i'm not thrilled with this deal at all but i'm open to being convinced otherwise.

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

This trade will only be good if we make at least 2 more moves for starting pitching. We can't go into the season with Roy. We absolutely need 2 more pitchers at the very least.

I don't think we gave up too much. None of the players going to Baltimore are very good. They are decent but their potential is not very high.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Pence played part of 1 year in the big leagues. I don't get why everyone is so ready to say he's going to play like an MVP next year.

He might, but give them a chance to let him prove that first. If they start him out batting 6th and he goes crazy with the stick, I'm sure they can change the lineup accordingly.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i like the deal alot. I was worried we had given up Bourne when I first saw this, which would have been terrible.

Kind of illustrates just how pitiful our farm system is these days when we needed to include 4 other players in trading the guy who has been considered the gem of the entire farm system for the past few years just to trade for a power hitter with alot of question marks - and Orioles fans are pissed.

I like the deal though. Those guys wouldn't have given us much and I'm assuming couldn't have been traded for a #2.

I wonder what they can get for Burke. We are improved, but you're kidding yourself if you think we can contend with that rotation.

20. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

That Astros' lineup looks good in writing, but it kind of concerns me that there's not a batter in it, with the exception of Berkman, who has a career 0.350 OBP. Traditionally a lineup full of one-dimensional players like the one Houston has assembled has not been very good at scoring runs.

Overall, I'm kind of skeptical about the Tejada deal. The regulars here probably know how high I am on Luke Scott, but none of the other guys involved have a real high ceiling (with the possible exception of Serfate, whose future seems very unpredictable to me). Ultimately I think it comes down to whether 2007 was the beginning of Tejada's decline phase, or just an aberration amongst a solid careerl.