1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Acquire Tejada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Man... if this is for real, I can't wait for next season to start.

2. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Bedard better be in this deal . We gave up two starters in Patton , and Albers . We were robbed !!!!!!

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

they saying costanzo part of the deal too

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

5. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Orioles fan here. Anyone mind giving me their brief impressions of the 5 on their way to Baltimore?

I can tell you that the Orioles board is pretty unhappy with the trade, therein making the trade "fair".

6. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

[Chron]Astros acquire Miguel Tejada

(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5372325.html)

Dec. 12, 2007, 11:41AM

Astros acquire shortstop Tejada from Orioles
    By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Astros have acquired slugger Miguel Tejada from the Baltimore Orioles for a package that includes outfielder Luke Scott, Matt Albers, Troy Patton, third base prospect Mike Costanzo and perhaps another player, a person with knowledge of the talks has confirmed to the Chronicle.

Tejada, a shortstop who might move to third, has two years and $32 million left on his deal.

The deal could be announced as early as this afternoon.

"It's true," Patton said. "It's kind of really disappointing, honestly."

7. NJRocket

Albers is ok....may not be ready for AL hitting...Patton is raw but lots of potential...Costanzo was part of the Lidge deal so who knows...dont know anything abt Sefarte...and Scott can hit and will be a good #6 in your lineup...especially in that ballpark

Patton is the main guy

8. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

imo, we got taken again (not as bad as last year with Jennings)

overall I like the Bourn trade and then the Anderson trade out so I'm ok with the overall offseason trades to this point.

9. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

This is awesome.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sadly, it's not way too much... it's simply how bad our farm system is at this time. Guys like Patton/Albers/Sarfate/Costanzo are all very mediocre... and you have to give up a ton of mediocrity to get one legitimate bat. The reason those players are "hyped" is because they're the most productive of a terrible system.

11. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Just heard this on channel 2.

12. NJRocket

Bourne
    Pence
    Berkman
    Lee
    Tejada
    Matsui
    Everett
    Towles

13. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

SWEET!! Third base anyone?

(edit: read the article, which already speculated the move)

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

patton is the only player that we traded that will be worth a ****. it's always fun to say "but we traded so many prospects blah blah blah," when the reality is most of those guys will never be anything more than an avergage or mediocre player.

we picked up a bonafide allstar for a utility outfielder, decent pitching prospect, and a couple of nobodies.... good move.

we still need some solid rotation help, though.

15. NJRocket

16. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sarfate may not be in the deal. Chron says another player (and it may be him) but there is no confirmation on that yet.

17. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

pollaxt:

Patton - one of the top pitching prospects the Astros have (which isn't saying much). A lefty with great stuff, but the Astros have been extremely careful with him, which has a raised a few suspicions that his arm may not be suited for pitching 180 innings a year. Still young, bhut we'll see how he does in his first full year.

Sarfate - Came out of nowhere last year after being picked up during the season. Dominated in his role as a 7th inning guy. Flamethrower with a lot of upside and could close. This one hurts the most for me.

Scott - 3rd/4th outfielder with a great contract considering his production. High OPS, good power, adequate fielder.

Constanzo - Haven't seen him play -- considered a terrific power hitter at 3B, obtained in the Lidge deal. Looks to me like a solid role player -- could DH.

Albers -- battled personal problems throughout his minor league career, but seems to have matured. Great stuff, but hasn't really translated into the majors. A 5th starter type of guy that'll give you one good outing followed by 4 bad ones. Should be looked at in the bullpen.

I think this is an even trade if Sarfate is not included. I was really looking forward to seeing him this season, but who knows what he'll do considering his small body of work. I hope Tejada plays SS once in a while -- a lineup with him, Berkman, Wiggy, Pence and Lee would be outstanding. The Crawford boxes will help with his declining power numbers.

18. tested911

tested911 Member

I don't know about you guys but have a lineup of

Pence,Berkman,Lee,Tejada

I mean WOW you have to get a run somewhere..

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros acquire shortstop Tejada from Orioles
    Dec. 12, 2007, 11:41AM
    By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Astros have acquired slugger Miguel Tejada from the Baltimore Orioles for a package that includes outfielder Luke Scott, Matt Albers, Troy Patton, third base prospect Mike Costanzo and perhaps another player, a person with knowledge of the talks has confirmed to the Chronicle.

Tejada, a shortstop who might move to third, has two years and $32 million left on his deal.

The deal could be announced as early as this afternoon.

"It's true," Patton said. "It's kind of really disappointing, honestly."

20. htownbball

htownbball Member

i honestly hate this deal, but only because i like troy patton so much. i would rather have given up gutierrez or paulino.

hopefully we can move burke and wigginton for some pitching.