1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Ken Giles

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 9, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Eshelman is a starter all about control, and he could be pretty solid. At this point we need to add proven guys, and Giles is proven and team controlled for a long time.

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Quality cost-controlled pitching, whether it be in the rotation or bullpen, has become very expensive these days when going the trade route. I felt a lot better about this trade before I saw that Eshelman was the PTBNL. Eshelman had Cliff Lee type control in college and if that translates into the majors he will be a really nice get for the Phillies.

I love Giles and what he brings to the table. My only concern is whether or not he will be able to handle the mental aspect of closing for a contender. He did well in that role for the lowly Phillies but it's a completely different atmosphere when the expectations are raised in a pennant race and/or postseason.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm wondering who Astros will use as a 6th starter. VV looked to be fit for this role. This might move Appel up to 6th spot. Straily, Woj, Feliz, Martes are also likely options on depth chart.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I understand it. I just can't believe how much the price of relievers has fluctuated.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're thinking about Riley Ferrell who we drafted last year as well (3rd round out of TCU)? He's the one who pitched out of the pen in college. Eshelman was a starter for Cal State Fullerton and posted a crazy K:BB ratio his last year.

6. vince

vince Member

With Eshelman, this trade is a bit more realistic. It now stings a little bit more. But from the markets point of view, it could have been a lot more we'd needed to give up. Obviously the Astros dealt from a position of strength, Starting pitching and outfield.

Hate including Eshelman, but we needed a true fireball thrower in the 9th more than we needed depth in the AA ball.

7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The only reason Eshelman is a prospect is his ability to throw strikes. Aside from that, his stuff is not special.

He walked 5 batters (and gave up 5 runs) in 10 innings in Rookie/A ball last year. If the Astros have any reason to believe that his command will not translate, it was absolutely the right move to get rid of him now.

If he doesn't have pinpoint accuracy, he is not a prospect.

8. Progs

Progs Member

If they got Giles might as well go all in for Fernandez right. Throwing Appel & Moran back to the Marlins in that deal I would not have any problems with that. Just don't trade

Bergman
    Tucker
    Cameron
    Reed
    Davis
    Musgrove

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you thinking about Ferrell? I thought he was the guy who would be conisdered closest to being ML bullpen ready from last year's draft.

10. Progs

Progs Member

Astros will restock the farm system in the 2016 mlb draft. Luhnow is one hell of a draft gm

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Maybe I am thinking about Ferrell.

12. Progs

Progs Member

Derek Fisher is a B- prospect.
    He has 5 tools potential but he has never put it all together with the exception of the 3 he game last Memorial Day weekend. He is a bit of a enigma player. Can be a solid everday player but also has just potential. I'm ok with this trade, giving up Eschelman tho was the price you had go pay for.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I like Luhnow but he gets a lot more credit for being a successful draft GM than I think he's proven.

Any GM with three straight #1 picks and then the 2nd/5th overall picks would have put a significant amount of talent into the system. Moreso than that, given the size of those draft pools, nearly any decent GM would have gambled on a couple of over slot players successfully.

I think most of the new-era saber-friendly GM's would put up a similar draft performance given Luhnow's circumstances. He's made some clever moves but several didn't work out. That's not to say I think he's a bad or mediocre GM but he hasn't gone above and beyond yet.

Once the system starts cranking out legit players from low-round, non-over slot picks like the Cardinals have been doing for years, I'll give him more credit. If guys like Tyler White, Matt Duffy and Tyler Heineman have long productive careers for the Astros then that'll be something special.

And if he turns out a fantastic MLB 2016 draft with a draft pool roughly 1/3-1/2 of what he had in the last couple drafts, that'll be special.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you don't want to trade those guys, you aren't even gonna start a conversation for Fernandez. Trading for Fernandez will require at least 2 of the guys that you don't wanna trade (not sure why you threw Davis in with that group), plus either Altuve or McCullers from the MLB team. The price for him is gonna be stupidly high.

15. xcrunner51

I'm assuming it's Scott Feldman. The Astros have rumored to be looking at Kazmir and Gallardo so it's pretty safe to add another starter to the current mix.

1. Keuchel
    2. McHugh
    3. FA SP
    4. LMJ
    5. Fiers

6. Feldman

In the mix: Straily, Wojo, Feliz, Appel, Jake Buchanan, Mike Hauschild, Brady Rodgers, Chris Devenski

I think Martes get another full year at-least in the minors short of a couple of big injuries.

16. Progs

Progs Member

The only reason I threw in Davis, is because he plays 3rd base and has put up good numbers in the Minors. Other than him or Correa moving to 3rd base, Astros don't have a 3rd baseman of the future. I think Moran is more of a utility guy, who can come off the bench and give you good at bats unless he continues his power surge.

17. xcrunner51

The Astros have about as much left side of the infield depth as any team out there. They could run Correa, Bregman, Davis or Moran out at 3B.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Are Feldman and Straily both out of options? I would think Astros would be more likely to keep Straily as long relief as Feldman is on his last year. I would think Martes gets a full year in AA, but left mentioned him in case of injuries or him taking another big step forward.

19. xcrunner51

Feldman definitely can't be sent to the minors without his permission as a veteran with 9 years of service time.

Straily I'm not certain about but perusing his career stats he spent a lot of time in the minors in the last three years and I'd expect that to be all his option years.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thanks, that is basically what I thought (though options wasn't right word for Feldman), but just wasn't sure. I suspect only one at most of those two are in organization on opening day.