1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Hank Conger

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I agree that trading a legitimate prospect for a backup catcher seems strange. On the other hand, deep down we can all admit that NiTro probably has a realistic ceiling of a 4 or 5, which are pretty easy to replace.

If Conger has a skill that interests our nerd-lords, which it appears he does in framing, then I'm for it.

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Astros = lolz. This is exactly the type of move they are becoming known for. Trading away promising young talent for trash.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Astros also note &quot;Conger compiled a 3.35 catcher’s ERA this season.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/530100602534363137">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. ThaShark316_28

Good ol' Aceshigh7. Never fails.

1 person likes this.
  5. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Really good insight!

I like the trade, and I also like NiTro and have wanted to see him at the major league level for awhile. That being said, Conger isn't a free agent until 2018, is a great pitch framer, and gives our club some depth at catcher. I think Castro will see even more time at DH next year, and this gives the club someone they can trust with pitchers in the mean time. I think this trade needs to be viewed as something that gets maximum value out of Castro while he is on the Astros.

Also, we have pitching depth in the minors. Taking a chance and trading one of the guys is something we may need to get used to, but I trust this front office. They thought a guy like Keuchel was worth holding on to and found McHugh. I think it is fair to give them some trust when it comes to evaluating arms.

6. ThaShark316_28

Yeah, Astros get a little bit of a "not bad" face, when it comes to evaluating starters after 2014.

7. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Judging by the per game stats, he is the very best at getting strike calls by a significant margin (discounting the two players with very small sample size).

8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Luhnow: Does trade put importance on getting SP? &quot;It may. It may put us in a better position to acquire a FA pitcher or bring somebody in&quot;</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/530111237846093824">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

9. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

FWIW, NiTro did have a pretty gnarly 'inverted W' in his delivery. I'm always excited when these guys we've followed reach the major league team. But realistically this scenario will happen more often than one of these prospects sticking around with the crop of young SP the Astros have. (Appel, Folty, Woj, Velazquez, Hader, McCullers, Feliz, Smith, Rodgers, West, Houser, Thurman, Musgrove, Comer, Rollins, Shirley, Fant, Nicely, Emanuel.. to name a few)

I have to think Conger is good at pitch framing and handling young pitchers. If he can perform close to his 2013 numbers, I'm happy.

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

This excites me.

Not really sure how to feel about this trade. I don't really understand the effect of pitch framing, but if it has a positive effect on our pitching, then I can deal with it. I'm not trying to make a direct comparison, but is he like Brad Ausmus in terms of catching?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

All together now, everyone read between the lines!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If you want to unload C salary to bring in a quality starting pitcher, you're more likely to trade Castro because Corporan's salary is low.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/530115523431108609">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reading between lines on Luhnow's quote, only way Conger deal puts Astros in position to bring in FA P is if it means unloading C salary.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/530113149392150528">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reading between the lines: the Astros’ catching situation probably won’t look this way come opening day.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/530102773899984897">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jeff Luhnow said entering the season with 3 catchers would be a luxury and would probably require a catcher who played another position.</p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/530102649807331329">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't love giving up pitching...particularly for a backup catcher.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Depends on the pitcher you give up.

Are we being prepared for Castro to be sent out for prospects, Conger named the starter and a mediocre #3 starer being brought in via free agency?

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

BA's Vince Lara-Cinisomo breaks down today's trade.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Trade Central: Astros Send Tropeano, Perez To Angels For Conger <a href="http://t.co/zIBieJkV3n">http://t.co/zIBieJkV3n</a></p>&mdash; Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica/status/530119016766246912">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

On the three players...

Nick Tropeano, rhp

Tropeano had a solid season in Triple-A, lowering his walk rate and keeping his strikeout rate in line with his career numbers, and that resulted in a promotion to the majors, where he made four representative starts. He profiles as a back-end starter despite a fringy fastball because of his innate deception. The fastball sits at 90-92 mph, touching 93. The changeup is the separator, “his bread and butter,” a team official said. It’s a plus pitch that he’ll throw at any time in the count to righthanders and lefthanders. The slider is a fringy offering that he struggles to stay on top of. The delivery’s “not the prettiest,” one evaluator said, as the righthander jerks his body to the right after making a pitch. While there is effort to his delivery, he’s had little trouble throwing strikes so far, so he has a chance to stick as a starter.

Carlos Perez, c

Perez, part of a large and talented but flawed catching cadre in Houston, is similar to now-former organization mate Roberto Pena. He’s an above-average defender, but the question is whether he’ll hit enough to see the field. Scouts believe if he can hit .240-.250, he can be a capable major league backup, which has incredible value given his defense skills. Perez was added to the 40-man roster by the Astros just before the trade. Last year, he was left off the 40-man roster and was eligible for the Rule 5 draft but was not picked.

Hank Conger, c

Conger shared the catching job with the Angels with Chris Iannetta, slashing .221/.293/.325 with four homers. But the Astros weren’t after his bat. Although he caught only 24 percent of runners attempting to steal, Conger was one of the four best catchers in terms of pitch-framing in 2014, ranking behind only Jonathan Lucroy, Mike Zunino and Russell Martin according to stats at StatCorner. With Houston’s young staff, his work behind the plate will be invaluable and he’s just two years older than Perez.

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

A Korean on the Astros! He's an interesting case in that his dad is an adopted Korean, hence not a Korean last name, and ended up marrying a Korean lady so Hank Conger has 100% Korean blood.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sounds like something is up with this trade. Castro, Conger, Corporan, and Stassi?

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Soon?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Strange trade. At face value i really don't like it because I'm a big Nitro fan.

But it feels pretty obvious that there is another shoe to drop after this trade, so I'll reserve judgement.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Seems very odd as it brings up a lot of questions.

It is a move a playoff contending team would make. Do the Astros really see themselves as a playoff contending team next season?
    How valuable do they see his pitch framing?
    Does this mean Appel will be starter out of camp?

It does free up a 40 man roster spot.

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It doesn't really free up a 40-man spot. Perez went undrafted in the rule 5 draft last year and probably wouldn't have been protected again this year. I think the only reason they added him to the 40-man roster was to avoid granting him 6-year minor league free agency.

My question is how much more likely is Castro to be traded now? Something has to give with Castro/Corp/Stassi