1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Dexter Fowler

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by justtxyank, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Xercules

Xercules Member

I guess he's starting in center...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jeff Luhnow says Fowler fulfills a need and can run and hit for some power. Says will likely start in CF and can play all 3 spots</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/statuses/408006192682639360">December 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Is he mediocre or does he suck?

3. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Taking on the large salary of over 7M, I'm assuming the PTBNL will be significant.

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

You speak as if this trade adds depth at the OF spot, but we traded an outfielder in this deal. So it does nothing for depth. Fowler doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

Enjoy Fowler's .270 BA 11 HR 50 RBI season next year.....

5. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Sure, it beats anything we had in the outfield last year. :)

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Career OBP is .365 and he's 28.

The Astros OBP last year was sub-.300.

7. Xercules

Xercules Member

I don't think he's stellar, but he beats the production we had last year. It's an upgrade.

8. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

good trade Lyles is trash...now we we need to cut Krhis Karter.

9. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

It adds to the depth of average or better MLB OFs on the Astros roster from 0 to 1.

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I seriously can't believe anyone is defending this trade, even having to point to OBP because he sucks in every other statistical category...

Trading away solid pitching and taking on salary for a minuscule (almost negligible) improvement in offensive production on this team is like putting a band-aid on a scraped elbow while you have a severed leg that's gushing blood. Sure, your overall medical situation has improved ever so slightly, but is it really what you needed to focus on?

Stupid Astros front office.

1 person likes this.
  11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I was hoping for somebody with more pop in the OF. Fowler and Hoes have limited power. Springer should generate a healthy amount though.

Not sure what this means for Grossman

12. MadMax

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on this..but I really don't think we're going to miss either Lyles or Barnes (except Barnes is an exceptional human being).

And I don't think you can discount OBP when you consider how sucky the Astros were at getting on base.

13. MadMax

Lots of flexibility in terms of fielding positions, for sure.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You and I have very, VERY different definitions of solid pitching.

15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

16. ssherman

ssherman Member

Really love this trade. Lyles has only flashed potential of being an average starting righty, and Barnes is probably best suited to be a fifth outfielder and defensive replacement late in games.

If Fowler can post an OBP over .365, I think the Astros have found their leadoff hitter for the next two years.

It will be interesting to see the way the Astros configure their outfield next year. I still think Springer is in the minors until they're sure he won't qualify as a Super Two, so I'm guessing it will be Grossman, Fowler, Hoes left to right to start the season.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Since when was an ERA over 5 for three years straight called solid pitching? And since when is 135 points in OPS a minuscule improvement in offensive production? REALLY?

I think it's a salary dump by the Rockies and we certainly have room to take on some salary. We got the best player in the deal and who knows what kind of PTNL we'll get. Nice move by Luhnow.

Disturbed that Luhnow says he'll play center when everyone knows Springer also plays center.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rockies&amp;src=hash">#Rockies</a> already drawing trade interest in Lyles, just 30 minutes after announcement of trade with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros&amp;src=hash">#Astros</a>. For now, Rox plan to keep him.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/408002823524454400">December 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Not sure Fowler is a centerpiece player. But not sure Lyles is a Coors kind of guy either RT <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnnyA14">@JohnnyA14</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst">@jaysonst</a> opinion in Astros trade?</p>&mdash; Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="https://twitter.com/jaysonst/statuses/408010375066439680">December 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42721/a-wild-and-crazy-day-of-transactions

Let's start with the Astros acquiring Dexter Fowler from the Rockies. The Rockies have seemingly been shopping Fowler for years but apparently the market for him was more lukewarm than a three-day-old cup of Starbucks. Jordan Lyles is still young and throws strikes but has been hit hard at the major league level (5.35 career ERA with 65 starts) and doesn't possess a quality strikeout pitch; he's the kind of pitcher who will get absolutely destroyed at Coors Field.

Even if the Rockies will put a better defense behind than the Astros did -- Troy Tulowitzki and Nolan Arenado will help in that department -- Lyles appears to be a long shot to succeed. Brandon Barnes was a 27-year-old rookie center fielder who posted a .289 on-base percentage, struck out 127 times while walking just 21 times, and was 11-for-22 in stealing bases, a package that made him one of the worst percentage players in the majors. His defense is OK but he looks like a fourth outfielder at best.

What did the Astros get? A player with two years remaining until free agency who has averaged a consistent 2.4 WAR over the past three seasons. He's a good player who the Rockies always expected more from, perhaps creating a poor read of his actual value. There is the possibility that his numbers will crater outside of Coors Field -- he's hit .298 there in his career, .241 on the road -- but as a guy who takes his walks I like his chances to produce once we gets away from the Coors effect. Kudos to the Astros for acquiring some talent without giving up much return. With prospect George Springer presumably ready to take over center, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fowler move to left field; his bat won't play as well there but will improve the Astros' defense dramatically over the statue-like Chris Carter.

What were the Rockies thinking? Who knows. The Rockies and Mariners seem like the two franchises without any semblance of a game plan right now. Are they trying to win now? Are they trying to rebuild? Were they merely dumping a salary (Fowler will make $7.35 million in 2014, a relative bargain for a 2-WAR player)? Are they trying to improve the rotation or the offense? If I had to guess, the Rockies see this as a salary dump to clear space to sign a free-agent pitcher. Last year, Roy Oswalt, Jeff Manship, Drew Pomeranz, Collin McHugh and Chad Bettis combined to go 0-19 in 26 starts with a 7.42 ERA. Can't wait to see them sign Ervin Santana and be shocked when he gives up 40 home runs.