1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Dexter Fowler

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by justtxyank, Dec 3, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Rockies announced that they have traded outfielder Dexter Fowler and a player to be named later to the Astros in exchange for right-hander Jordan Lyles and outfielder Brandon Barnes.

Dexter Fowler Statistics and History

2. Xercules

Xercules Member

The tweet:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Astros&amp;src=hash">#Astros</a> officially acquire OF Dexter Fowler and a PTBNL from the <a href="https://twitter.com/Rockies">@Rockies</a> in exchange for OF Brandon Barnes and RHP Jordan Lyles.</p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/statuses/407996438971285504">December 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

4. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Interesting signing. He has some notably bad home/away splits.

5. Major

Major Member

Dude was really good for the first part of the season before the injuries - he looked to be in for a breakout season with a 1.000+ OPS in April. But I think his problem is that he's injured fairly regularly - he had multiple nagging ones throughout this year and has never played more than 140 games, though I don't know if that was by choice or due to injuries.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Good thing we're the home team now. :grin:

7. Major

Major Member

And yes, some terrible historical home/away splits.

8. boozle222

This trade also leaves us with 4 of the final 6 starters we had last year due to the departure of Bedard and now trading Lyles, correct? I like that it frees up some space with a MLB quality player in center.

9. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Lyles seemed to have problems with hanging a curveball in Houston. Scary to think about what will happen with him in CO. I had high hopes for that guy and given his age, I'm surprised they gave up on him so soon. He's flashed like he could end up a solid #3, but just couldn't get any consistency here.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't feel like we gave up very much. The price might be right...but I'm not concerned with anyone we gave up in this trade.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dang, and a lot of people were pretty high on Lyles given his age and all. Kinda sad to see him end up pitching at Coors.

I always thought Springer was a CF. If Fowler plays CF for the Astros, where does Springer play?

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feel bad for Lyles. Hasnt quite figured out pitching in the majors, now has to put it all together at Coors.

13. MadMax

Springer can play RF...but Springer might be a better CF than Fowler, so don't be surprised to see Fowler in RF

14. Xercules

Xercules Member

My thoughts exactly. I'm hoping this doesn't mean they plan on keeping Springer down to start the year. Maybe Fowler can plug in at RF? :confused:

15. MadMax

Fowler-Springer-Hoes has potential. I like it.

16. boozle222

Rockies fans seem to hate the trade on Twitter. Then again, getting a rangey outfielder like Barnes isn't a bad deal for Coors.

17. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Fowler sucks... The definition of mediocre.

Absolutely horrible trade. Lyles at least still had some upside potential. You have seen exactly how good Fowler will be.. and it isn't very good.

18. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Love this! This Astros are stacked with RHPs coming up in their system but are incredibly thin in OF after Springer. It also makes the team better this year and opens up a 40-man roster spot. And I wouldn't be too freaked out about Fowlers home/road split. That happens to every hitter there (in varying degrees) due to the extreme nature of the park. Great trade.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nearly one year to the day: Astros trade Wilton Lopez to Colorado for Alex White & Alex Gillingham.

More trash for trash. :p

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

There's no room/about to be no room for Lyles here, even if you think he'll eventually stop sucking.

Also "sucks" isn't the definition of "mediocre".

We gave up nothing for a solid OF. Rockies got ripped off.