1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Carlos Gomez & Mike Fiers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 30, 2015.

?

Do you like the trade?

1. YES

69.4%
  2. NO

16.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

14.6%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gomez: &quot;When we get there, we’re going to fit in and feel like we’ve been playing there forever.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/626921981082873857">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gomez: &quot;I’m ready physically, mentally to come to Houston and give everything I have to so we can be something special.&quot;</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/626921821527347200">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fiers: “They have a good thing going there and I’m just trying to fit in every day and help the club.”</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/626923174349795328">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gomez said he had a couple of days to get to Houston, but “I said no, get me a flight soon so I can get there and play.”</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/626923393816727553">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Carlos Gomez talked as if he expects to be the every day CF for Houston. &quot;It's not my hope. It's what I go there for.&quot;</p>&mdash; Kirk Bohls (@kbohls) <a href="https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/626925053440053248">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

#121 J.R., Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Have a feeling GoGo and Valbuena are going to be bros.

3. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I am really proud of Astros. I love our core of young players. CarGo will be great and he will have many opportunities for RBI.

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Gomez sucks. Can't believe we gave up that haul. Phillips could be more productive on the ML level right now

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Lol, that's funny

Thanks for the jokes, it's good to laugh every now and then

6. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

What a terrible take.

gtfo

7. The Beard

So assuming no more deals are made tonight, who gets cut from the 25 man to put those two on tomorrow?

8. Airdough

Airdough Member

The more I think about it, an outfield of Marisnick, Gomez, Springer late in games is almost like having Kimbrel close for you, nothing much getting past them. Fiers is due for some positive upswing in stats given his BABIP over .315 and going to a better defensive team.

With his K rate, any thoughts that he could transition to a bullpen role?

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Safe to say VV and Singleton get sent down?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Players with options:
    Singleton... also not sure how much VV is going to be pitching right now, and I'd rather him continue to gain experience with some regular appearances.

11. The Beard

Yea, but if the issue with moving VV was limiting innings, I don't think we see him moved down so he can get in a lot of . . . . .innings

12. what

what Member

We gave up a lot, but the brewers weren't going to give up Gomez on the cheap just because he's having a subpar season so far.

Gomez just seems like one of those players that will be playing at a high level for 15 to 16 years.

The biggest thing is to KEEPING playing for the astros after his current contract runs out.

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Marisnick is terrible against lefties

14. Dankush

Dankush Member

And what is this based on? Your own personal eye test? Sort by errors? Obviously not reality.

Oh i forgot, support group, I guess that explains it.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing that Luhnow mentioned -- if we lose Gomez after next year, we'll get a supplemental pick.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Carter might actually get cut.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Gomez will be a stud for the Astros. He's having a down year bc he had a minor injury issue and he plays for the terrible Brewers.

Plus, playing at MMP will help. Gomez will post a 0.800+ OPS with Houston, which will be absolutely fabulous.

Plus, we get a solid #4 pitcher.

All for a guy that might be as good as Gomez in the majors.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4881&position=OF

Looking at the peripherals. Everything this year has been similar for Gomez except for two things. 1. GB% back up, FB% down from the past couple of years. 2. HR/FB% down as well. Everything thing else is pretty much in line with his last couple of years.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"regular work" and limiting innings are not mutually exclusive.

He can pitch in the tandem system at AA or out of the bullpen with more regularity at AAA.... right now, he's taking over the Fausto role where he's only expected to pitch if the starting pitcher is ineffective, or the game is tied in extras.

Also, Fiers is going to be somewhere on this pitching staff... whether in the rotation or in relief.

20. Airdough

Airdough Member

I would see if the Padres would take him for Norris before I did that. Think Norris would be an upgrade at catcher.