1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros - 2011 MLB Non-Waiver Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jun 15, 2011.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

No dice, but I'll trade Kepp for one of the Giants' nice arms in their system.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'd say it's very unlikely you get Montero and "another decent prospect" for Wandy, let alone Montero at all.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hah. Zito and Rowand make like $30M combined this year. Unreal.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Throw in Tim Lincecum and you've got yourself a deal. We'll even let you have Carlos Lee.

5. Baqui99

It's time to take Carlos Lee out to pasture. He is a completely worthless, overweight POS.

Word is that SF is targeting Alex Reyes from the Mets, but they would want 1 of Bumgarner/Sanchez + top prospect in return. I'm hoping they can make a play for Pence, instead as his asking price will be lower and he won't command $100M+ this offseason.

6. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Hopefully the trade market starts picking up soon. That's probably going to be one of the highlights of the Astros season when they trade Pence and Wandy for prospects. I'll be happy if we can get 2-3 top 100 prospects between the two of them.

7. juicystream

I'd take Bumgarner for Pence. Pence's cost though will be steep given that he doesn't hit free agency for a couple of years, so the Astros can wait another year.

Lee would actually be beneficial to the Giants. They already took one piece of our trash (Hall) and offensively Lee is has been better than most of the Giants roster (For the last 2 months, the only difference between him now and in his prime is the lack of HR). The problem is the money he is owed, but he'd be valuable to a team looking for a right handed bat to platoon 1B/DH/LF.

8. Baqui99

Hmmm...I think the Giants are really high on Bumgarner (11K's in 7 innings last night), so they'll probably hold onto him. The question is, are they happy enough with Vogelsong to flip Sanchez for a Pence.

9. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Sanchez is 28 and basically implodes and has no control when he gets a man on base. If Pence is going to get traded, its going to be for prospects and not for a stopgap pitcher. If we were trading Pence to the Giants, I would ask for nothing less than Zach Wheeler, Eric Surkamp, and Adam Duvall. Maybe they could throw a young high risk prospect in that deal also.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Astros shouldn't be looking for someone Jonathan Sánchez if they trade Hunter Pence. Sanchez is a very good pitcher but he is turning 29 years old in a few months. He is getting more expensive every year and by the Astros are contenders again, he will probably be on the decline. I rather much get 2 or 3 good prospects for Pence.

11. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Basically what I posted right before you.

12. rockets934life

Sanchez is basically the Hunter Pence of pitchers, in his prime and about to become expensive. Agree, no point in trading for him, just keep Pence.

I still say, Braves or Phillies, both have the pieces to get a deal done. A package around Minor or Cosart sounds interesting to ponder.

13. juicystream

I'd avoid trading him if I were the Giants, but Bumgarner is who I'd want off the ML roster (or Posey which we flat out know they wouldn't do). The Giants don't have a whole lot in the minors, and I think the Wheeler and Surkamp are the only two guys I'd have a high interest in.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm still not crazy about the prospect of trading Pence. He's young enough that he can still improve and be the face of the franchise as they improve.

That said, if they get a ridiculous offer for him, they should do it. I'm just not crazy about trading the best player who is still under club control.

15. Baqui99

Didn't realize that Sanchez is turning 29 - probably not the best fit for Houston. If I were the Giants GM, I'd throw a top prospect or two at Houston for the chance to bring in Pence. There are major holes in the Giants' lineup since WS heros Edgar Renteria and Juan Uribe left in free agency, Freddy Sanchez and Buster Posey got hurt, and Pat Burrell and Aaron Rowand are sucking big time.

16. rockets934life

Surkamp for Kepp? Any takers? They need a middle infielder badly and he will probably help their offense big time.

17. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

can brandon belt play third base?

18. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

He throws left handed so without looking it up I'm gonna say no.

19. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

With the way Surkamp has been playing this year I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

20. rockets934life

Yep, interestingly he wasnt one their top of the line prospects when the season started, not sure how they view him now. I'd want something like that for Kepp as his value is as high as it's going to be.