1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros '08: Here Come the Yankees and Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ryan17wagner, Sep 29, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

HOUSTON -- It's no secret that the Astros have gently reminded the Commissioner's Office on more than one occasion over the years that the Yankees and Red Sox have never played a regular-season series at Minute Maid Park.
    The Astros have also somewhat forcefully lobbied for the two AL East franchises to show up on the Astros' home schedule, and in 2008, they will finally get their wish. The Yankees will play in Houston on June 13-15, while the Red Sox will make their first appearance in Houston on June 27-29.

The Astros unveiled their 2008 home schedule on Friday, and for only the fourth time in the last 27 seasons, the club will open the 2008 season on the road.

Opening Day at Minute Maid Park will be on April 7 against the Cardinals, and the opening homestand of the 2008 season includes three games each against the Cards (April 7-9) and the Marlins (April 11-13).

Houston also closes the season at Minute Maid Park, with a six-game homestand that includes three games each against the Reds (Sept. 23-25) and the Braves (Sept. 26-28).

The schedule features three home series vs. the Cardinals, including two weekend matchups (June 6-8, Aug. 29-31), and the midweek series that opens the 2008 home slate.

Other key series at Minute Maid Park include three-game sets with the Brewers (May 2-4, June 10-12), Cubs (May 19-21, July 18-20, Sept. 12-14) and Mets (Aug. 1-3); four-game series with the Phillies (May 22-25), Dodgers (June 30-July 3) and Giants (Aug. 11-14); and a two-game series vs. San Diego (April 21-22). The club will also host the Diamondbacks in a three-game weekend set from Aug. 15-17.

In addition to hosting the Yankees and Red Sox during Interleague Play, the Astros will also face the Rangers at Minute Maid Park for the second half of the seventh annual Lone Star Series, June 24-26.

Coop's the man: Cecil Cooper received an indelible stamp of approval from Astros players after he was introduced as the permanent skipper Friday afternoon.

"I think it's great," Chris Burke said. "I think Coop's been nothing but honest and upbeat since he got the job. Players have taken to that, and obviously Coop handles himself with so much class and had such a great career that everybody respects him."

Respect was a general theme among all players who spoke on the topic.

"He's been around the game a long time," Brad Ausmus said. "One thing that's really impressed me the last month is he's been the same guy. Everyone always liked Coop when he was the bench coach. A lot of coaches that become managers change their demeanor. He hasn't changed at all. He's been exactly the same guy."

Roy Oswalt is impressed with how Cooper handled a 32-man roster for nearly the entire month of September.

"He's done a good job with the young guys so far, coming up and mixing guys in and out really well," Oswalt said. "Sometimes you don't really know how a guy's going to manage when he gets a managing job. Especially with so many guys up here, he's trying to see everybody. He's done a good job at crucial parts of the game."

Ground rules: In anticipation of his return to his old catching position, Craig Biggio had a brief conversation during batting practice with Chipper Jones and company, just to set a couple of well-intentioned ground rules.

In short: please, no stolen bases.

"I told Chipper and those guys they can't run," Biggio said with a chuckle. "I know I can't reach second. I can barely reach the pitcher."

Biggio will start the game behind the plate, catching Brandon Backe for one inning, maybe two if things go well. He'll approach the game just like any other, except for that "Please don't run on me" request. That was a first.

"He was laughing," Biggio said of Chipper. "He said, 'OK, no big deal.' With my cannon, they'd definitely be running."

Coming up: The Astros and Braves will meet for the middle game of the three-game set on Saturday at Minute Maid Park, beginning at 6:05 p.m. CT. Backe (2-1, 4.37 ERA) will face Braves righty Jeff Bennett (2-0, 2.57).

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2237544&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

LLL and LLL

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's cool and everything but I'd rather face the Tampa Bay Devilrays.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lol, same here, though playing them at home beats playing them on the road.

#4 BigM, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, even if we were playing Royals and the DRays the outcome still doesn't look to be much better.

If nothing else, the NY/Boston transplants will be happy, and Drayton will certainly see a spike in ticket sales for those games. It's not as if the Astros are going to be neck-and-neck in contention for the NL central crown next season for this to matter.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

:D ...

7. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

it really doesn't matter who they play in interleague matchups. they always lose, so whether they play the devilrays, royals, rangers, yankees, or red sox, expect them to lose more than win.

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

MadMax faints...

9. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

who cares :confused:

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, that's a joke. and but for the yankees exhibition games in 2000, they would have never visited either...despite the existence of interleague play for what...about 13 years now???

i wish they'd scrap interleague play. i've seen enough of the royals, thanks.

11. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

wonder if pettitte will pitch in that series... that'll be a loud boo.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Already giving up on next season? Jeez.

13. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

This is very good news. I'm definitely going to atleast one game in both of those series.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This season was the first since before Biggio started playing that I haven't made at least one game.

I'll definintely be trying to get to one of those series next season...