1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros’ Schafer charged with felony possession of mar1juana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheDreams, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Finally, a 2011 Astro I can relate to.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

DECRIMINALIZED. Under the stated quantities, it's merely a ticket like a traffic violation. It doesn't matter if you have a card or not.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I would be shocked if they didn't. He is going to be gone for 100 games now, plus 2 strikes.

What a complete idiot this guy is.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Idiot...time to move on. That said, Stros need players with some talent and cheap contracts and he fits both.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

I wonder if they will get rid of him as they have done in the passed.

6. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I am firmly in the legalize camp but he was lit up in the car, and that will never (and shouldn't be) legal. Clearly legal consequences are in order.

Biggio's DWI was at least as dangerous/significant in terms of it was dangerous to people sharing the road, and a terrible example for children ...and he didn't have to serve a half season suspension.

Biggio manned up and has been a model citizen and great role model ever since....I wish we had a realistic attitude about the "demon weed" so that Schafer could have that opportunity.

8. msn

msn Member

as an aside, once weed is legalized, what should we legalize next?

9. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Prostitution?

10. HombreDeHierro

everything. and have parents start parenting again

11. msn

msn Member

...but back when parents were doing their jobs, weed was illegal. and so was swearing in public.

12. HombreDeHierro

legality and parenting, or lack thereof, are completely independent.

parenting + illegal = babyboomer generation; generally closed minded but they get the job done

no parenting + illegal = kids are like wtf government just let me smoke my weed; bunch of loser kids in rebellion to the system

parenting + LEGAL = more people who actually understand what is good and what is bad, learning for themselves, more independent minded (in a good way); probably more productive members of society

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

People that want to smoke weed always have and always will regardless of its legal status.

This has little to do with good or bad parenting. A lot more to do with the time (generation) you were born to and as an observer, how awake you truly are to the reality of things.

When I have on my Polyanna sunglasses and see that every pro athlete strives to be a public image icon, I just get so proud of everyone :rolleyes:

14. msn

msn Member

that looks like a nice theory, but I don't believe history has borne it out.

When parents do their job, fewer people want to adopt destructive habits. As such, it has a lot to do with parenting indeed. Of course, that statement is a generalization (generally accurate) and you will easily find specific cases that don't fit the general norm. Doesn't make it less true.

And who has the most opportunity in determining whether someone becomes "truly awake to the reality of things"? Parents.

Parenting is the single most important thing to a society's continued health and advancement.

I agree, and perhaps I should reign my conversation back to the Astros specifically. Sorry for the hijack.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What am I going to tell my children?

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sounds like your saying anyone who drinks booze, smokes pot, eats junk food, or doesnt exercise enough must have had bad parents (i.e. forms of destructive behavior)

imo, good parenting is making your child aware of the consequences of his/her decisions. What choices that child makes in adulthood is not a direct reflection of their parenting at all.

17. msn

msn Member

Nope:
    I don't want to disrespect your opinion, but the things I've encountered don't bear it out. I have friends in the prison systems in two states. I couldn't find the statistics via a quick search just now, but the number of inmates whose parents were also incarcerated is eye-opening. Additionally, tendencies for alcoholism and drug addiction have been observed, again generally, more often in kids whose parents faced the same struggles. Kids who were abused physically or verbally are more likely to repeat the cycle statistically. Kids from one-parent homes, especially where one parent has abdicated entirely (incarceration, or just running off) are statistically far more likely to struggle with destructive behavior.

The evidence that I've observed first-hand, and read, is simply overwhelming. Parents matter. They matter immeasurably.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My comments were meant to address social use of pot or alcohol, not chronic abusers of hard drugs or alcoholics.

Your also adding a whole new field to the discussion by introducing examples of kids whose parents ended up in jail and/or those victim of child abuse. My comments clearly were not a reflection of these more serious examples.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

For the record, my parents have never smoke or drank in their life. In fact, they're completely against it. That never stopped me.

Being open with your kids about these types of things goes a long way. Explain to them of the potential consequences. There's no denying that grades are better for kids that stay away from these activities. Drinking and partying is probably more detrimental to college kids than smoking bud. At the same time, I know party animals that beasted through college. It's all about being organized, paying attention in class, and putting enough time in studying. After you're done studying and acing exams, let loose.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member