1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astronomy Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OrangeCountyCA, Jun 17, 2007.

1. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

Great post! I've always wondered what would happen to a human being in space without a space suit?

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

assuming the bing bang theory is right and that the universe is expanding...what is it expanding into...my brain hurts

3. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Did Chandler Bing have his own theory?

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

By definition, nothingness is endless.....so we have a ways to go yet.

There could be as many big bangs going on out in the nothingness as there are stars in our universe. If they are 20 billion years old and 40 billion light years away you'd never know they were there. The scale of multiple universes might be as infinitely large as the scale of quantum mechanics is infinitely small (and that's not even considering other dimensions)

How's your brain now?

5. OrangeCountyCA

The beginning of this video summarizes my feelings exactly towards this subjects. Sometimes when I hear or read about all of these HUGE numbers in astronomy, it's just hard for me to get my "head around it", and I'll just end up with a blank stare. Then I realize just how insignificant we really are in the world and that despresses me a bit.

But then again I say to myself why should we even care about the universe and it's size? We should just go on with our insignificant life here on earth, because we'll only be alive for about 80 years.

On the other hand there's the religious belief that life is not worthless...:confused:

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

This seems like a dumb question... how do they get, for example, the Milky Way in frame for a photo? It seems like it would take too long for the camera lens to get far enough away to get the whole thing in-frame...

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what if there is only 1 galaxy, yet it is played out an infinite number of times over eternity? The other galaxies we see are simply our galaxy that "formed" differently in the past.

another.

what if this universe simply makes up something else. For example, what if this universe is just a grain of sand on another planet in another galaxy?

i need a bong rip

8. OrangeCountyCA

I took a Chemistry class a couple of years ago. One chapter was about pressure and stuff like that. From what I got out of it, the pressure inside the human body is related to the outside pressure. So, in free space since pressure is ~0, everything inside the human body will want to "move out".

So, in space without a space suit, a human being will simply explode. I think.

9. swilkins

I bet the gov has tested this on animals.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

That's not a photo. It is either another galaxy or an illustration. We don't know what it looks like from outside.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Not true. Your skin is remarkably good at holding pressure. Your eyes may have issues, as would your lungs if you had a full breath, but you'd freeze/aphyxiate before you died from de-pressurization.

Some ideas for new spacesuits are actually little more than insulated-suits - but of course this assumes you get around the sticky problem of safety and thermal cycling. More information here.

12. swilkins

I'm glad you know your ****, because I was wanting that camera.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Too bad, I need it to take a picture of my penis.

14. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Concerning the Big Bang Theory...

What's the latest theories concerning:

a) the Horizon issue - As the universe expanded in all directions from its initial state of high density, when did the particles going in different directions come into contact with one another and become homogenous and isotropic (as evidenced by the uniform temperature of the cosmic background)?

b) the Lumpiness issue - Similar to the Horizon issue, how did matter become structured into stars and galaxies instead of a uniform spread?

c) the Entropy issue - Was a higher degree of order produced from the Big Bang, or did the "cosmic egg" start with a high degree of order?

d) the Ignition issue - What was the cause for expansion?

e) the Precision issue - What is causing consistent balance between acceleration rate and density?

15. OrangeCountyCA

I have been waiting for this question, so I can answer it.

The start of the Universe, or the cause for the Big Bang was simply the will of God. I'm not sure if I'm being serious or sarcastic yet.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I've always said: "It's selfish to think we're alone in this HUGE F*ck*NG place called the COSMOS/UNIVERSE/GALAXIES." :eek:

Really, I would hope they'd spend LESS MONEY on the "Space Program" and more @ home... but I also like to buy "Rockets" jerseys and t-shirts :D

Well, you're in luck, man. www.AdoramaPix.com has 4x6 photos for $.10, or 16x20's for $4.95:
    You would probably get that poster-sized photo of the MILKY WAY in just under $1 billion. :)

Better not go for the lifesize one, though. :(

17. OrangeCountyCA

Thanks for the correction. Now that I think about it, pressure is actually related to temperature. What my chemistry instructor said was that in outer space, without a space suit, your blood will actually freeze, whether than burst out.

18. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Pressure is related to temperature, I think it was Charles' Law, but besides the almost zero pressure in space it already is very cold. Anyway since pressure is related to vaporization if you suddenly found yourself in space without a space suit the moisture in your skin would simultaneously boil and freeze so the outer layers of you might be dessicated but you probably have enough water in your body to freeze up your insides before all your moisture is lost in space.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Speaking on interesting ways to die in space astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson has written about what might happen to you when you fall in a black hole in his book Death by Black Hole

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070219_mm_tyson_qna.html

20. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

does nasa or is nasa developing another telescope? it would be badass if they could have a telescope that takes pictures of extrasolar planets

also when space probes flyby planets like saturn (cassini) how do they transfer pictures back to nasa?

less money on war, more money for nasa!

#40 KaiSeR SoZe, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2007